• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton TD

TheRealDeal

How can you say it's his only real target but not say the play is designed for him?

I'll agree the plays were designed for the TE

Maybe I didn't say that. I don't know.

BUT, there is the chance that one of the recievers beats their coverage and is wide open making the TD easier and sooner. Newton is set to throw every time he looks, so I'd say they are valid reads.

Hard to tell on the Cam Newton vid because you can't see the rest of the receivers, but the TE was definitely not the 1st read on the play.

If you watch the entire video you can see the whole route combination.

You can see how the top receiver almost picks the linebackers making the TE more open.

People have had that opinion before, minds change eventually ;)

I'm just getting a better assessment of posters I'm dealing with here.

Here's the thing though. Over half, or about half of the people see it the way I did.

At best, you MIGHT be right, but you carry yourself like you are 100% right.

You're wrong to assume that he's a one-read QB, which was my point all along. :)

I gotta go, I'd love to argue with you some more, but I have an hour long drive ahead of me. Later!

CAM NEWTON #1 OVERALL BABY!

I'm not the only one that has said that though, that he's a 1 read QB.

The video you posted did nothing to bolster your case that he isn't which got me started on it.

Also, look at the results, It's Not Alright said he is the first read but voted 3rd, also, you voted twice and so forth.

To each his own I guess.

Here's the thing though. Over half, or about half of the people see it the way I did.

At best, you MIGHT be right, but you carry yourself like you are 100% right.

You're wrong to assume that he's a one-read QB, which was my point all along. :)

I gotta go, I'd love to argue with you some more, but I have an hour long drive ahead of me. Later!

CAM NEWTON #1 OVERALL BABY!

I want someone to ban this phrase it's not going to happen

I'm not the only one that has said that though, that he's a 1 read QB.

The video you posted did nothing to bolster your case that he isn't which got me started on it.

Also, look at the results, It's Not Alright said he is the first read but voted 3rd, also, you voted twice and so forth.

To each his own I guess.

The TE is the eventual target of the play, but is the third option in the progression of the play for a successful completion.

Look, I know watching the Panthers the last few years could teach you other wise, but plays can be designed with more than one outcome in mind.

The TE is the eventual target of the play, but is the third option in the progression of the play for a successful completion.

Look, I know watching the Panthers the last few years could teach you other wise, but plays can be designed with more than one outcome in mind.

I would say this is more accurate than what I said. It seems the play was designed for the tight end, but it was possible for the other options to be open.

I'm not sure how you all figure there were several reads on the play when his head was down more than it was up..

edit: he hikes the ball and his eyes go straight to the DE who makes a good push to mess up the roll to the right.. he looks to the field for a second, then goes back to looking at the DE.. then snaps his head up and throws it to the TE..

what am I not seeing that you all are?

Some of you are confusing the object of the play which is to throw to the TE going against the grain with a read progression. For example if the receiver going across the middle is open (which occurs first) then of course Newton will throw him the ball. So that is the first read. The tight end going against the grain is the receiver most likely to be open and the reason you send the action to the right but given the time it takes to set up the play will be the second read. If it were the first and only read, he would have pumped fake to sell the receiver going left to right before coming back left.

Some of you are confusing the object of the play which is to throw to the TE going against the grain with a read progression. For example if the receiver going across the middle is open (which occurs first) then of course Newton will throw him the ball. So that is the first read. The tight end going against the grain is the receiver most likely to be open and the reason you send the action to the right but given the time it takes to set up the play will be the second read. If it were the first and only read, he would have pumped fake to sell the receiver going left to right before coming back left.

logically, that would be the progression.. I don't see how he has time to make any reads with his eyes down on the DE more than on his receivers.. what I see is (what I explained on the previous page) ending with.. he finally looks up to his TE and makes the throw..

Archived