• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton TD

TheRealDeal

Keep in mind in the Cam Newton play, the TE pretends to block as Cam pretends to roll right then sneaks out left.

There were only 2 receivers in the pattern. The receiver on the left going right could be a legitimate attempt to get open or a purposeful misdirection to flow the action and receiver one direction and throwing back across the pattern to the TE. If it had been misdirection only he should have pumped it to the receiver to sell it then threw it back across the field.

I'm just curious... what is the significance of this?

I genuinely want to get a gauge on the knowledge the huddle has of offense and offensive philosophy.

I was under the assumption that anyone who has played football at any level from ages 8 and upward knows what the purpose of these plays are.

If I'm wrong and not everyone knows that, I have to dummy down my posting and arguments to relate better to the Huddle masses.

1st video with the TE.. I would assume the TE is his main read.. he didn't have time to go through any reads and his 1st reaction was to go to the TE..

and Playbook on NFL network broke down the Charlie Whitehurst play... the play was designed for Mike Williams to be wide open with the rollout to the right.. the defense was so focused on the right side that Williams is easily able to slip coverage.. I'm going with Williams was the 1st read there since Whitehurst stares him down.. the receiver on the right was going to be covered like hell with 3 guys right near him.. I find it hard to believe that guy was a legitimate read..

Williams would be his first read. The design of the play is to look off the safeties right, and throw across the formation.

The Cam Newton one would be hard to say. Looked like he was trying to evade the rushers and just looked up and found an open target.

Honestly, i AGREE with this. the Whitehurst throw was to WR (he's not a TE) Mike Williams and he's usually his go to guy. Newton looked like he was going to throw to the right, couldnt find a guy, then wanted to run, couldnt find a lane then looked up and saw his tight end open.

I genuinely want to get a gauge on the knowledge the huddle has of offense and offensive philosophy.

I was under the assumption that anyone who has played football at any level from ages 8 and upward knows what the purpose of these plays are.

If I'm wrong and not everyone knows that, I have to dummy down my posting and arguments to relate better to the Huddle masses.

LOL.

Hey someone get TheRealDeal's NFL playbook from his Super Bowl championship run. Maybe if we read it, we can figure out how elite coaching talent handles offenses and really learn from a football god.

Dude, you're definitely not "TheRealDeal" talkin' this kind of trash.

Honestly, i AGREE with this. the Whitehurst throw was to WR (he's not a TE) Mike Williams and he's usually his go to guy. Newton looked like he was going to throw to the right, couldnt find a guy, then wanted to run, couldnt find a lane then looked up and saw his tight end open.

Yep.

Oh... too bad you're a mental midget per TRD.

LOL.

Hey someone get TheRealDeal's NFL playbook from his Super Bowl championship run. Maybe if we read it, we can figure out how elite coaching talent handles offenses and really learn from a football god.

Dude, you're definitely not "TheRealDeal" talkin' this kind of trash.

:boxing_smiley:

The Newton play is telling of one of his abilities. It looks tailor made for a QB who struggles to misdirect defenders. His first look is to the reciever to his right (either that, or Auburn only had ten men on the field and Newton is insane). Second look is to the center to a crossing reciever. Third look is to his TE, who is his only real target. When he looks right, the TE is faking a block and would be in his periphreal vision; when he looks to the center the TE is also crossing. It works too because the TE is underneath single coverage in the end zone.

I just think that if you watch the route combination from the replays when they show the wide view, you can see that those aren't routes meant to get open. Those are routes to pull the coverage to the right. The receiver at the bottom ran a half assed fade route and the receiver at the top ran a dig in the middle of the endzone right at the LBers, almost like a pick play. Couple that with the fact that the TE pretended to block then snuck out I think it's pretty obvious.

The Newton play is telling of one of his abilities. It looks tailor made for a QB who struggles to misdirect defenders. His first look is to the reciever to his right (either that, or Oregon only had ten men on the field and Newton is insane). Second look is to the center to a crossing reciever. Third look is to his TE, who is his only real target. When he looks right, the TE is faking a block and would be in his periphreal vision; when he looks to the center the TE is also crossing. It works too because the TE is underneath single coverage in the end zone.

How can you say it's his only real target but not say the play is designed for him?

Archived