• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton looking better and better!

Tarheels23

and he plays in a spread offense (an offense which doenst make NFL reads). Remember The Golden Calf of Bristol??? those same questions about how he will translate to the NFL go to Newton, he cant just run over guys like Vilma and Abraham in the NFL, he will have to pass from the pocket and run as a last resort.

You do realize...HIGHEST QB rating IN THE NATION in college football...right? Sure, Kellen Moore played another game, so after Monday he may be back to 2nd again, but that is still impressive for a guy who is considered PRIMARILY a running QB. He completes 67% of his passes, while averaging 10 yards per completion. I get the transition to the NFL argument. But reading defenses doesn't change. Yeah, maybe there is more zone blitzing in the NFL. Yeah, maybe disguising coverages could be an issue for ANY QB making the transition...but c'mon. You still have to read the safeties and recognize when it is cover 2, cover 3, or man. That doesn't change at ANY level of the game. Newton put on a CLINIC against Alabama...a defense coached by Nick Saban, widely considered one of the best defensive minds in football. He went off again against South Carolina in the SEC championship game. 7 passing TDs in a matter of 2 games. C'mon man.

Another impressive stat? In the past 7 games, on 95 pass attempts...only 1 interception. And if I recall that interception against Georgia, it was a tipped ball on the second drive.

You do realize...HIGHEST QB rating IN THE NATION in college football...right? Newton put on a CLINIC against Alabama...a defense coached by Nick Saban.

Newton put up the highest QB rating in an offense that will NOT work in the NFL. He put on a clinic......in the 2nd half, in the 1st half he showed his weaknesses and teams will study that and know how to beat Cam when he's in the NFL. people think that Newton will come in right away and dominate the NFL like he's doing college, BUT i dont believe he will, he's got ALOT of improving to do, i see running once he sees Smith covered and LaFell covered.

Newton could be more comparable to McNabb if coached right. I would like to get Kolb and let Newton grow more before starting him right away. Also, a competant QB coach would be sweet.

However if we nab Kolb before the draft, we might want to take AJ Green #1. Smith would become expendable and maybe we can use him as bait along with draft picks to get back into the first and grab Newton (if still there), but if he's not there then draft BPA on offense (minus WR and RB at that point obviously) or one of the top rated DTs instead if they are still available. Idk. Theres a lot of ways the Panthers can go. Im just brain storming.

Newton could be more comparable to McNabb if coached right. I would like to get Kolb and let Newton grow more before starting him right away. Also, a competant QB coach would be sweet.
Its impossible to get Kolb. Philly wants 2 first rounder which needless to say ridonkculous!

Newton put up the highest QB rating in an offense that will NOT work in the NFL. He put on a clinic......in the 2nd half, in the 1st half he showed his weaknesses and teams will study that and know how to beat Cam when he's in the NFL. people think that Newton will come in right away and dominate the NFL like he's doing college, BUT i dont believe he will, he's got ALOT of improving to do, i see running once he sees Smith covered and LaFell covered.

Yes, the first half against Bama is ALL his fault. I guess we should just say "to hell with every QB if they can't block the DL, get open, AND throw the ball". If having an OL that didn't do a very good job blocking in the first half is Cam's fault, damn I would hate to have you coach my kids one day. He got sacked twice on the 2nd drive of the game. Once I remember while going through his progressions and not having anybody open. Within about 2.5 seconds he was hit. Did you even WATCH that game? He hardly got any pass plays called first quarter. They defended the run well, so, in the second quarter and rest of the game, Malzahn said "Ok, we'll just throw down the seam of their cover three and deep outs on their cover 2 and beat them that way." And they did. The deep out is arguably one of the hardest throws to make in college football. The comeback started on the first full drive of the 2nd quarter with the 36 yard TD pass to Darvin Adams. Then, on the 2nd play of the 2nd half, 70 yard TD. So, sir, stfu.

So what? He took snaps from the shotgun. What makes him so damn good in the first place is his supporting cast. McCalebb and Dyre draw a LOT of attention (like our running backs would...) and his receivers are good enough to get some sort of separation and catch the ball. So get out of here with your weak logic. Or at least say what his weakness are. Because in the first half, Newton attempted about 4 or 5 passes in the 1st quarter. Why? Because the OL got Newton sacked 3 times in the first half. And it isn't because Newton doesn't have a feel for the pocket or because of an inability to escape with a 1 guy in his face. He had multiple guys in his face. Also, because Alabama did WELL against the run, forcing Auburn to win the game THROWING the ball..and they did. Only 1 rushing TD for Auburn the whole game, and that was by Newton on the goal line.

Go ahead, throw more BS on the table for me to refute with solid evidence.

I cant say Newton's going to have a bad rookie year with evidence, BUT you (or ANYONE else) can say that Cam Newton's going to light it up, run for 1000 yards, pass for 3000, be rookie of the year and make the playoffs!!!!!!! When it comes to drafting you have to base it on how they will TRANSLATE to the NFL. In other words, look at the offense they play in, the reads they make and the team they are on. WHY do people say that The Golden Calf of Bristol will fail, but say Cam Newton will be a star without evidence????? i will tell you why, they guess (from watching him) and think he has to work, well, i see flaws in Newton's game and NFL team's WILL noticed the Alabama game and see how to beat him, NFL team's are NOT college teams, Newton wont be outrunning NFL players like he's doing in college, he will have to pass consistantly from the pocket.

and he plays in a spread offense (an offense which doenst make NFL reads).

so did sam bradford & he played decent this year. you can make the same argument against gabbert. if newton comes out & wows at the combine & pro day work outs he will get strong consideration at number 1

so did sam bradford & he played decent this year. you can make the same argument against gabbert. if newton comes out & wows at the combine & pro day work outs he will get strong consideration at number 1

i dont know how many times i have to say this, but Sam Bradford did NOT run over 12 times in a game sometimes, Cam Newton ran alot in some games, basically his offense was similar to The Golden Calf of Bristol's offense. Bradford rarely ever ran. Anyways, Cam Newton is a high risk, high reward type of player, he could be great and take us to the playoffs, BUT he could take us to 4 and 12 and then i would be reading next year on how we should draft Luck or Matt Barkley.

I cant say Newton's going to have a bad rookie year with evidence, BUT you (or ANYONE else) can say that Cam Newton's going to light it up, run for 1000 yards, pass for 3000, be rookie of the year and make the playoffs!!!!!!! When it comes to drafting you have to base it on how they will TRANSLATE to the NFL. In other words, look at the offense they play in, the reads they make and the team they are on. WHY do people say that The Golden Calf of Bristol will fail, but say Cam Newton will be a star without evidence????? i will tell you why, they guess (from watching him) and think he has to work, well, i see flaws in Newton's game and NFL team's WILL noticed the Alabama game and see how to beat him, NFL team's are NOT college teams, Newton wont be outrunning NFL players like he's doing in college, he will have to pass consistantly from the pocket.

I would love for you to tell us of one of these "flaws" you claim to see. Crying wolf without being able to say where the wolf can be found is generally a bad idea. Some 4-year-old playing in the woods is bound to get eaten.

Now, yeah, Newton ran. But what you fail to realize is 95% of his runs are BY DESIGN! Very similar to what Vick has had so far in his NFL career. The Falcons had and the Eagles currently have a read option play in their playbook, simply because Vick can run it and you can't defend both the running back and the QB without shedding at least 2 blocks. Just the design of the play. It is a known fact that 99% of all run plays in Auburn's play book are read option plays. When it comes to passing, Newton does what you WANT a QB to do. Hit an open receiver, if no open receiver, then hit the single coverage (if there is one, and there typically is) IF the receiver can make the play or at least bat it away; or, if neither of the aforementioned options are plausible, then run.

So, basically, your beef with Newton is he makes good decisions. God, why the hell don't we hire YOU as the next head coach?

Please, continue making NO point with 0 physical evidence to support your claims while failing to use proper punctuation. It is kind of like a game. I try to decipher what the hell it is you're trying to say, then I try to figure out the point of what you said.

Archived