• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton looking better and better!

Tarheels23

You're not even worth responding to after that last post lol.

I'm sorry you are butt hurt that Cam didn't play well. I'm sorry you are butt hurt that people are starting to see things in a different light and in the same light as I do (again). I'm sorry you have to make lengthy posts with no real substance and attack each one of my posts trying to discredit me even though only 2 people left feel the way you do. Most people have opened their eyes. Let me lead you to the light, son.

BTW, Newton may be the best college QB but he's barely a top 5 NFL QB prospect, barely.

you do realize that in luck's bowl game he threw a pick early and almost got sacked in the endzone but still resulted in a safety right? he didn't play all that great first half, but second half, he went off on the VT defense, manipulating them, going through progressions, making strong accurate throws on the run, and demolishing the VT secondary.

You are just really, really on the cam bandwagon and can't seem to see the flaws in his game. I'm not trying to insult you here, please understand that, but cam newton is not worthy of a high first round pick, especially the #1 overall. I went into the game last night with no bias hoping to see something that would help me decide whether or not newton would be worthy of the first pick and he did nothing to sway me to pick him. Fairley on the other hand, made a very strong case.

Sir...read your first paragraph again...that is almost exactly what happened with Cam last night. He got sacked a few times, threw a pick (less of a bad throw, more of a receiver not getting his head around and finding the ball), all in the first half. Then he went out and had a good 2nd half. Remained composed and played a good game.

You are just really on the Cam Newton-Hate bandwagon and don't want to give him credit for the good plays. His 1 big mistake didn't cost Auburn the game. At the end of the night, Newton had a good night.

As far as his throwing mechanics, ever heard the saying "Don't tell me about the delivery, just give me the baby"? Well, there ya go. Doesn't matter how you get it done, as long as you get it done.

Some of the argument I hear from some of you is "If the ball doesn't look pretty and if everything isn't perfect, you can't be a good QB in the NFL." BS. Big Ben hardly keeps his feet moving. Every QB throws off their back foot when they have a defender coming right in their face. That is how you avoid injury. And he still made plays doing that (had all season as well). Some of you just slurped on Luck for so long that you don't know what to do with yourselves now that we won't ever have him.

why are you guys arguing based on one game? you can't judge Luck vs. Oregeon the same way you can't judge Newton vs. Oregon because it's one game! if you're going to evaluate someone, evaluate them over the course of the entire season.

for me personally, I'm not looking at stats. you don't evaluate quarterbacks based on stats because the offenses they run in college and the defenses they face in college aren't even comparable to the NFL. when I'm evaluating a quarterback I'm looking at their throwing mechanics, how consistent are their drop backs, how do they run an offense or how do they perform under pressure, when they're on the sideline are they talking with their coach going over previous plays or planning a new play or are they sitting on a bench doing nothing, how accurate are they throwing on the run or when facing a blitz, etc.

the simple fact is Newton, while a phenomenal athlete will NOT be able to start right away and help this team. a guy like Fairley or Patrick Peterson or AJ Green will be able to immediately start and help this team.

If he is a first round pick and we get only one then we either pick him at 1, trade down, or pick someone else. Lots of folks felt Denver overreached with The Golden Calf of Bristol and Newton is twice the player The Golden Calf of Bristol is. People thought that picking Chris Johnson in the first was a huge reach, and the list goes on.

MAJOR differences though, The Golden Calf of Bristol and Johnson were NOT selected number one overall, they were selected later. Not saying Newton isnt going to be great, just saying he's not the number one overall pick. ADD to that, The Golden Calf of Bristol has MAJOR work to do.

If he is the best quarterback on the board and I think he is, then someone will pick him up in the first 10 picks.

i dont see him as the best quarterback on the board and unless either Carolina or Arizona or Buffalo take him, i dont see him being the first quarterback picked. i think the 49ers (if they take the first QB in the draft) go for Gabbert or Mallett because Harbaugh will want a pocket passer, then i see the titans getting either Gabbert or Mallett, then i see Washington going for Locker, then Newton to the Vikings.

Did Newton blow the game? Hardly. Luck threw 2 picks against Oregon and lost so did he lose the game??

no Newton didnt blow it, but the stupid fumble almost caused it, as for Luck's game vs. Oregon, true he threw two picks, BUT he threw for 340 yards, didnt run too much and showed pro potential because he's a pocket passer, as for the loss, Stanford lost mainly due to the bad defense. over 200 yards rushing for James.

Winning in general or winning it all. I'm assuming you mean winning in general so just out of the playoff QBs this year.

Joe Flacco (uhh)

Jay Cutler (#2 seed, maybe won 8 games in 4 years)

Hasselback (maybe won 12 in 3 years)

Off the top of my head.

Lets use your highly selective and skewed list.

Joe Flacco's last year in 2007 Deleware was 11-4 and lost in the NCAA Football Champiosnship Subdivision Championship to Appalachian State.

Jay Cutler- played at lowly Vanderbilt and wasn't a winner in colege- actually winning 11 games and losing 35. By the way his record as a pro is 24-29 despite going 10-6 this year for Chicago. He isn't a winner in the pros.

Hasselback- was 20-27 in college. As a pro he had some great years and some not so good. Overall he has a winning record.

So based on looking for quarterbacks from average to poor college programs we find that Flacco was successful at both levels. Cutler has been a loser at both levels and Hasselback had a losing record in college and a good run from 2003 through 2006 in a bad division and injuries and issues since then.

So can a quarterback come from losing program and do well in the pros. Yes but it is not that common. Can a Quarterback come from a winning program and not do well in the pros- Sure- Look at David Carr or Matthew Stafford so far as records go.

But most NFl quarterbacks who are successful in the pros are usually successful in college as well. Is there a correlation between winning in college and winning in the pros. Yeah I think there is. It is straight line- not likely. Factors such as which team they go to makes a huge difference.

I hate 2 say this but I agree with Real deal (which I never do) but Cam has so much work 2 do before he is ready 2 play Profootball.

You almost have 2 teach him 2 read def. and footwork. accuracy is a issue. Never taking snaps under center. I wouldn't take him #1 overall 2 much risk.

1 overall has 2 be ready 2 play from the start and he is not.

Hey P55...Go read Scouts Inc take on Cam and tell me how "amateur" my analysis is compared you. I'M CALLING YOU OUT! Come back and tell me how much more objective your opinion is and how his footwork or reads aren't an issue.

Do It!

Please?

I can give you a number of analysis which report several things. Does his footwork need work. Yes it does. No one is arguing that but you. Is his accuracy an issue particularly in the past. I have said as much. His accuracy has significantly improved over the course of the year and will continue to improve over time. He has played 14 games in Auburn's system not 30 games or 45.

No one is saying he doesn't have issues, the point is whether his issues are suggestive he can't or won't improve or whether it is a function of being a junior with limited work on fundamentals is the issue or not.

You see a player who needs work and you nitpick on issues that are surely amenable to work and practice. I sees a player who needs work and has the atletic skills, leaderships skills and personality to be a franchise quarterback for a decade.

That is the real difference. I see potential and you don't. I see a work in progress and significant improvement each year and you see a player who is at one point in time and are saying he is static and a final product.

Here is Gil Brandt's analysis of Newton:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/dec/12/newton-could-be-one-and-done-at-auburn/

Longtime NFL personnel man Gil Brandt, now working as a draft consultant, called Newton "the most exciting player I can ever remember watching" and said the 6-foot-6, 250-pound quarterback has displayed all the physical skills necessary to be an NFL star.

"I am not an advocate of guys coming out of school early," Brandt said in a recent telephone interview. "But I think that if he does come out of school, I don't think there's any question he'll be selected in the first half of the first round (of the draft) unless there is something physically wrong with him."

"He has excellent accuracy," Brandt said. "I'm amazed at his accuracy whether it be 10 yards down field or 20 yards down field or more. He's got arm strength.

"There is no question he is physically ready."

Brandt said the only thing Newton doesn't have he can only get by staying in school for another season: experience.

After Newton and Auburn play Oregon in the BCS championship in Glendale, Ariz., on Jan. 10, he will have started a total of 14 college games.

"When I guy gets to around 30 games in college, that usually is when the light turns on," Brandt said.

As I said comparing to guys in the same system like Luck for 3 years in not comparable. As Gil said, and he is a very good source on the draft and player personnel, for where he is right now, Newton is special but unpolished. Hopefully the scouts and folks who know, can do a better than you of overlooking the small things and see the potential instead of being so linear to not be able to project the future.

I was on the Camwagon until last night.

He can't read the defense and make his own adjustments. The coach called every single adjustment.....not a good sign.

Stared down every receiver and rarely attempted a read outside of his primary.

Accuracy is erratic at best.

Leadership was not very apparent seemed to be there for himself.

He has all the physical tools but so did Ryan Leaf. Who btw had very similar character isssues.

At this point I'd prefer Tyrod Taylor. He seemed to have the brain but not the body.

At #1 Fairley or Green seem to be the only options. :(

why are you guys arguing based on one game? you can't judge Luck vs. Oregeon the same way you can't judge Newton vs. Oregon because it's one game! if you're going to evaluate someone, evaluate them over the course of the entire season.

for me personally, I'm not looking at stats. you don't evaluate quarterbacks based on stats because the offenses they run in college and the defenses they face in college aren't even comparable to the NFL. when I'm evaluating a quarterback I'm looking at their throwing mechanics, how consistent are their drop backs, how do they run an offense or how do they perform under pressure, when they're on the sideline are they talking with their coach going over previous plays or planning a new play or are they sitting on a bench doing nothing, how accurate are they throwing on the run or when facing a blitz, etc.

the simple fact is Newton, while a phenomenal athlete will NOT be able to start right away and help this team. a guy like Fairley or Patrick Peterson or AJ Green will be able to immediately start and help this team.

First of all it is possible that Peterson could help at CB right away but most DTs and DEs struggle their first year. So Fairley won't likely dominant right away.

Secondly if you want to find a QB who can come in and star right away, he isn't in this draft.

If you are looking for a guy who needs work like an Aaron Rodgers but can be your franchise guy for a decade, then Newton is the one.

Why is everyone so short sighed about starting now? I would much rather find a franchise guy and be middling next year than pass on a franchise quarterback because he won't start right away.

The fact is, Cam Newton is never going to look like an NFL QB while he's playing in Auburns current system. The only way he's going to master the NFL game is to get in an NFL system. One thing that is killing him is when he does that little jump forward to fake a run...that alone is killing his mechanics because he has to rush to get back and get his feet set again, and last night, the rush was usually on him before he even had a chance to do that.

I didn't once say Cam was static or a finished product, don't put words in my mouth. I said what he is, raw. Read any one of my posts and it says he's raw. People are advocating him 1st overall which is outrageous. People want him in the top 5 which is crazy. People want him in top 10 which is ridiculous. People want him in the teens which is understandable. He should go in the top of the 2nd round based on his talent but he won't. Someone will reach and be setback 3-5 years, I hope it's not us.

I'm stating what I see based on film and you are using words like "potential" and "could be" and "exciting" which aren't quantifiable and are the same words that get thrown around every year on the new hot player.

Fact is he needs to work on his feet, his accuracy, and his ability to read a defense to have a shot in the NFL. He's nothing more than a project.

I was on the Camwagon until last night.

He can't read the defense and make his own adjustments. The coach called every single adjustment.....not a good sign.

Stared down every receiver and rarely attempted a read outside of his primary.

Accuracy is erratic at best.

Leadership was not very apparent seemed to be there for himself.

He has all the physical tools but so did Ryan Leaf. Who btw had very similar character isssues.

At this point I'd prefer Tyrod Taylor. He seemed to have the brain but not the body.

At #1 Fairley or Green seem to be the only options. :(

Another he had a bad game so he must suck analysis. LOL

Tyrod Taylor??? Just totally killed any credibility you had.

Archived