• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton looking better and better!

Tarheels23

Where did anyone say he did great? I am just saying he did as well as Luck did against Oregon and to call Newton a 3 year project while slobbing on Luck who struggled against Oregon as well suggests a double standard and someone with an agenda.

Truth is he has the biggest pro of all which is he won. Isn't that the point of the game? And he showed great leadership and toughness playing hurt. That surely overshadows sloppy footwork or a bad throw on a few plays. It was nitpicking a few issues and missing the much larger points based on an agenda.

uh where did people say he was great???? the people who SUGGEST that he's worth a number one overall pick. in order to be picked that high you have to have great quarterback potential. As for Luck and Newton comparison, if you look at the numbers, Luck had more passing yards and made good throws that you can make in the pros, Newton did alot of running (he ran 22 times) and in the pros, he will not make it a full season running 22 times. i admit a pro of his is that he won, but a con is that he nearly gave Oregon the game, he fumbled the ball away, got to hold on to that ball. he overthrew recievers, i am not saying he's a bust or he's NOT a first round pick, HE IS a first round pick, just NOT a number one overall pick. i see him being a Viking.

So what you are saying is he had good footwork and didn't overthrow wide open receivers?

Didn't say that at all. I would say for every receiver he overthrew, he also dropped several passes right in the receivers hands and showed great touch. For every example of poor footwork he showed great ability to elude the blitz and keep plays alive. He even was able to complete a pass with guys draped over all over him.

The point is you picked the negatives without talking about the positives except very cursorily. You mention the over throws without commenting on how he was able to hit guys in stride, frop the ball between 2 defenders and other issues which point out his accuracy and ability to read defenders and improvise.

Your argument was negatively skewed and of little value in giving an objective analysis of his performance.

Where did anyone say he did great? I am just saying he did as well as Luck did against Oregon and to call Newton a 3 year project while slobbing on Luck who struggled against Oregon as well suggests a double standard and someone with an agenda.

Truth is he has the biggest pro of all which is he won. Isn't that the point of the game? And he showed great leadership and toughness playing hurt. That surely overshadows sloppy footwork or a bad throw on a few plays. It was nitpicking a few issues and missing the much larger points based on an agenda.

Very good point and I forgot Luck played Oregon and lost. Luck looked horrible in that game.

I thought he might have been a good pick up in this years draft until I saw him last night. He does not look comfortable in the pocket at all and he missed a lot of easy passes when he did have the time to throw. It might be fun to watch him run around when he can't throw it and might even sell a few more tickets but no way is he a #1 pick and I will hate if the panthers take him.

yep, honestly, i think Cam Newton WILL sell lots of tickets which is WHY i do not eliminate him as the number one overall pick. Richardson could pick Newton seeing Money signs in his head and thinking how much money he would make with Newton, but he's not worth the top pick. he's got alot of work to do, just like The Golden Calf of Bristol needs.

yep, honestly, i think Cam Newton WILL sell lots of tickets which is WHY i do not eliminate him as the number one overall pick. Richardson could pick Newton seeing Money signs in his head and thinking how much money he would make with Newton, but he's not worth the top pick. he's got alot of work to do, just like The Golden Calf of Bristol needs.

He won't be making those exciting plays that sell tickets in the NFL, he didn't even make any real exciting plays last night.

uh where did people say he was great???? the people who SUGGEST that he's worth a number one overall pick. in order to be picked that high you have to have great quarterback potential. As for Luck and Newton comparison, if you look at the numbers, Luck had more passing yards and made good throws that you can make in the pros, Newton did alot of running (he ran 22 times) and in the pros, he will not make it a full season running 22 times. i admit a pro of his is that he won, but a con is that he nearly gave Oregon the game, he fumbled the ball away, got to hold on to that ball. he overthrew recievers, i am not saying he's a bust or he's NOT a first round pick, HE IS a first round pick, just NOT a number one overall pick. i see him being a Viking.

If he is a first round pick and we get only one then we either pick him at 1, trade down, or pick someone else. Lots of folks felt Denver overreached with The Golden Calf of Bristol and Newton is twice the player The Golden Calf of Bristol is. People thought that picking Chris Johnson in the first was a huge reach, and the list goes on.

If he is the best quarterback on the board and I think he is, then someone will pick him up in the first 10 picks.

I don't have to make this decision fortunately.

Did Newton blow the game? Hardly. Luck threw 2 picks against Oregon and lost so did he lose the game?? They both made mistakes for sure but who doesn't. What shows the heart of a competitor is not what mistakes you make but how you come back from them and make up for the problems. That leadership is his biggest pro. And something we needed in spades this year.

He won't be making those exciting plays that sell tickets in the NFL, he didn't even make any real exciting plays last night.

What will fill seats is winning and Newton has done it at every level. He will do the same in the NFL. And just like Roethlisburger he can keep plays alive and make exciting plays in the NFL just like college.

What will fill seats is winning and Newton has done it at every level. He will do the same in the NFL. And just like Roethlisburger he can keep plays alive and make exciting plays in the NFL just like college.

Chris Leak won, Krenzel won, Dorsey won, Weinke won...

Stop using that argument. No one cares. What NFL execs care about is how that game translates to the NFL. It's not good. His footwork is very slow and sloppy, not just because of play action, and his accuracy is questionable.

Like I said, I'd love to see a breakdown of where he actually threw the ball because that inflates stats a ton.

I get it though, you want Newton and you can't see what nearly everyone else on this board (save snakefist and KT) has seen. You think he'll be fine and his performance last night was good. You compare him to Luck against a common opponent and look at box scores instead of watch games. If you even think Newton is in the same league as Luck you ought to be committed, and I'm not even a Luck fan.

Footwork and bad accuracy are not nitpicking a few issues and missing larger points. Winning in college means nothing. Absolutely nothing. Do I have to start posting pictures again? It's about what he brings to the NFL talent wise and he's not close, I'm sorry.

Anyone without an agenda would agree

Winning means something at any level. How many great quarterbacks in the NFL came from losing programs in college? I will wait while you look it up. Good luck...............

And footwork can be easily learned, he surely is athletic enough to pick them up. I am sure given all that he needed to learn at Auburn to master the offense in one year, the emphasis was on running the offense not whether he threw off the back or front foot.

What he bring talent wise is far and away the most of anyone in the draft. You can easily teach footwork but you can teach vision, speed or athleticism which he has in abundance.

Again what you are focusing on isn't that important in a college player compared to arm strength, decision making, leadership, and other issues. A season with a good pro quarterback coach will help him get rid of the little issues you bring up.

Plus I have read more than one quarterback analyst like Jaws who said that in the NFL you have to be able to throw off your back foot if you can't step up, sometimes have to throw off balance, etc. So to assume every quarterback sets their feet and gets in great position to pass is highly innaccurate and overblown as is much of yuro so called analysis.

Again no one says he is an NFL starter today, simply he has the most upside of anyone else in the draft and will become a good starter in less than 3 years.

If he is a first round pick and we get only one then we either pick him at 1, trade down, or pick someone else. Lots of folks felt Denver overreached with The Golden Calf of Bristol and Newton is twice the player The Golden Calf of Bristol is. People thought that picking Chris Johnson in the first was a huge reach, and the list goes on.

If he is the best quarterback on the board and I think he is, then someone will pick him up in the first 10 picks.

I don't have to make this decision fortunately.

Did Newton blow the game? Hardly. Luck threw 2 picks against Oregon and lost so did he lose the game?? They both made mistakes for sure but who doesn't. What shows the heart of a competitor is not what mistakes you make but how you come back from them and make up for the problems. That leadership is his biggest pro. And something we needed in spades this year.

you do realize that in luck's bowl game he threw a pick early and almost got sacked in the endzone but still resulted in a safety right? he didn't play all that great first half, but second half, he went off on the VT defense, manipulating them, going through progressions, making strong accurate throws on the run, and demolishing the VT secondary.

You are just really, really on the cam bandwagon and can't seem to see the flaws in his game. I'm not trying to insult you here, please understand that, but cam newton is not worthy of a high first round pick, especially the #1 overall. I went into the game last night with no bias hoping to see something that would help me decide whether or not newton would be worthy of the first pick and he did nothing to sway me to pick him. Fairley on the other hand, made a very strong case.

Chris Leak won, Krenzel won, Dorsey won, Weinke won...

Stop using that argument. No one cares. What NFL execs care about is how that game translates to the NFL. It's not good. His footwork is very slow and sloppy, not just because of play action, and his accuracy is questionable.

Like I said, I'd love to see a breakdown of where he actually threw the ball because that inflates stats a ton.

I get it though, you want Newton and you can't see what nearly everyone else on this board (save snakefist and KT) has seen. You think he'll be fine and his performance last night was good. You compare him to Luck against a common opponent and look at box scores instead of watch games. If you even think Newton is in the same league as Luck you ought to be committed, and I'm not even a Luck fan.

And I disagree with your amateur opinion which is that he is inaccurate and his footwoork is slow. HIs mechanics have improved during the year and will continue to do so. What you see as a finished product is a work in progress. One that has a very high ceiling. I am fine with him learning next year and being a Josh Freeman for the reward of a franchise guy for the next decade.

I see what there is to see and have an much more objective opinion of it than you. Because I can see not only what is there but what can be.

As for whether He should be our pick or not, I dont really know at this point. It depends on the plans for the year such as getting a veteran versus going totally with the draft again. I do know that Pickles is not the one at this point and we need an effective quarterback. My comments with you are simply he is the best QB in the draft and if we go that dirrection, that is who we should pick. And I don't agree that last night's game changes everything. I also say Newton play 5 or 6 games this year and Oregon was clearly one of his worst. I chalk that up to Oregon having a month to prepare and all the pressure on a kid 21 years old.

As for Comparing Newton to Luck, I watched them both play against Oregon and Newton looked better. As for comparing them it depends on what dynamic. Luck surely has better understanding of a pro offense but frankly he was in Harbaugh's system for 3 years. They aren't in similar systems, Newton hasn't gotten the same level of coaching, and Newton has been in the Auburn system for 1 year not 3.

If you can't evaluate the differences and see how they are very comparable, it just reinforces your limited analytical skills.

Winning means something at any level. How many great quarterbacks in the NFL came from losing programs in college? I will wait while you look it up. Good luck...............

Winning in general or winning it all. I'm assuming you mean winning in general so just out of the playoff QBs this year.

Joe Flacco (uhh)

Jay Cutler (#2 seed, maybe won 8 games in 4 years)

Hasselback (maybe won 12 in 3 years)

Off the top of my head.

you do realize that in luck's bowl game he threw a pick early and almost got sacked in the endzone but still resulted in a safety right? he didn't play all that great first half, but second half, he went off on the VT defense, manipulating them, going through progressions, making strong accurate throws on the run, and demolishing the VT secondary.

You are just really, really on the cam bandwagon and can't seem to see the flaws in his game. I'm not trying to insult you here, please understand that, but cam newton is not worthy of a high first round pick, especially the #1 overall. I went into the game last night with no bias hoping to see something that would help me decide whether or not newton would be worthy of the first pick and he did nothing to sway me to pick him. Fairley on the other hand, made a very strong case.

How can you compare VT to Oregon and say that the way Luck played against them compares to Newton versus Oregon. So back and watch how Luck played against Oregon when Oregon had a week to prepare versus how Newton played the same Oregon team when Oregon had 4 weeks to prepare. I watched VT all year and their pass defense is not very good at all.

For your information, Oregon shut out Luck in the second half to no points. He had early success in the first half but once Oregon made adjustments, just shut him down.

Get back with me when you actually watch the games and can compare apples to apples.

Archived