• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton looking better and better!

Tarheels23

We do need to be careful not to draft Newton because we think it will sell jerseys or put butts in seats. After all, that's what we did with Armanti and we saw how that worked out...

I think its an entirely different situation. We'd be drafting him #1 overall. Whoever we draft will be the top selling jersey for the panthers next year, regardless of who it is. Also, he would most likely be starting right away. Armanti spent almost as much time on the field this year as I did. Cam or AJ is the best way to go. If we pick AJ though we have to bring in a vet QB to throw him the ball. Clausen sure won't help him become a 1000 yard receiver.

Cam Newton > Armanti Edwards in every possible way. Bigger, stronger, better arm, more accurate, can catch better (I mean, he does have a couple receptions and a receiving TD this season). So, to say that he could even come close to being the flop that Armanti is (not bust, just didn't pan out as smoothly for us this year. I think he will be a weapon, at some point...), is asinine.

Now, I'm an Auburn fan, and I remember when I heard Auburn got Newton to start the year and I was excited. Not nearly as excited at the prospect of him playing here for the Panthers. And here is why. I know what he can do (as do all of you) on the field, and I know how exciting he is as a player. Could it be just the spread system? Possibly. But he does have good mechanics, instincts, and other intangibles to do the job. With a new coach coming in, a lot of questions on the roster, it just doesn't seem very promising. He'd be more productive than any other QB we have on the current roster, but that isn't saying much.

As somebody else said earlier, I don't think we go QB in the 1st round now that Luck isn't going to be there. I think we go Peterson or Green (Fairley would be nice, but a bit of a reach at the #1 overall, and I don't see us trading down). A lot of people think Newton is a reach for a high first rounder, I call BS. Look at him throw. Great zip, good accuracy, arm strength for days, ability to escape the pocket and the size and composure to sit in the pocket. He's going to be great. The naysayers can say what they want, he will be good, SOMEWHERE. And I would rather it be here. I remember thinking that Josh Freeman would be average at best. But he has played well this season. Looks good for the Bucs. Freeman is the reason why you shouldn't underestimate Newton.

If you go QB in the 1st round, you take Newton. Gives the team a spark and a GREAT athlete. He has played well this year WITH THE PRESSURE of his personal stuff going on. He can handle the pressure of an anxious fan base. No, he hasn't played in a pro-style system. But dammit, it is football. There are WRs in EVERY offense, and you don't throw the ball any different. You still read coverages and you still have to be accurate. No reason to believe Newton can't do those things.

In order to look at this objectively, what you must now do for you own sanity is to pretend Andrew Luck never exisited.

Once you accept that their really isnt much difference in the # 1 pick all the way down to # 5.

On top of that this draft class does not appear to be the be that great.

Our next coach whoever the hell he is will hopefully not be in possesion of a pick this high again. Therefore it's at least time to go look at some Cam Newton highlights

edit:1 other thing to consider, not every prospect has an nfl comparison, so dont hurt your head thinking he's vince young, or any other qb...he's his own man

I believe a receiver is useless with no QB, and Newton will likely never be as good in the NFL as VY, mind you Newton looks better than Freeman did in college so who knows? But you don't need #1 to get Newton. It is now a bad draft to be #1...

I believe a receiver is useless with no QB, and Newton will likely never be as good in the NFL as VY. It is now a bad draft to be #1, no O line prospects worth that pick and only one (real) option on the D line since DEs aren't the problem at this point.

The hell is your argument? "likely" isn't a very good one. :smash:

Now, if you want to present something that can be backed by evidence (not opinion or "gut feeling"), feel free. But it is stupid to say he will "likely" be as good in the NFL as Vince Young. That is like saying that AJ Green is the next Rae Carruth. NO EVIDENCE!

Archived