• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton looking better and better!

Tarheels23

Seems to me the majority of posters cracking on Newton are either angry because Luck went back to school and now they don't want any quarterback, or are Clausen supporters not wanting him to get replaced.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest Newton will be a bust. He has all the physical tools and numerous reports suggest he has the work ethic and mental toughness to make the transition to the NFL. He has been successful at every level and has shown he can pick up football systems like he did at Binn and Auburn in a matter of months. Sure he will need more work at the pro-level and the leap to the pros is quite steep for many players. Yet who is better? Truth is he is the best player in college and is easily worthy of a number 1 pick. There is absolutely no reason to suggest he will be a bust at all except he can run well and he is black. For me those are lame stereotypical attitudes that we should really be able to get past.

Will we pick him? I don't have a clue, but to call him a sure bust just points out either an ignorance of football or a bias against physical running quarterbacks who can throw a 40 yard pass on a rope. I really think if we pick him we will be looking back in a few years reflecting on the moment we found our franchise quarterback.

Thanks 55-I am agianst Newton because if the risk factor, but I appreciate the other side of the story. Made me think. However, with the first pick, it should not be controversial. Green is controversial based on our need, not his ability to do the job. And he doesn't play QB, so a bust is not the end of the world.

Newton has as many reasons not to draft him as he does reasons. Our opinions are not important, but the risk--something we agree on (based on the variety of opinions) is real. I look at the Cam supporters as a group who feels we are in a desparate situation and they are willing to take that chance. I don't like any of the first round (projected) QBs and I think they will drop dramatically. Trade down and take Cam? Sure. Stay at #1? Take Green or Peterson.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest Newton will be a bust.

I'm not saying he absolutely will be a bust, but there is plenty to suggest that he will be. It starts with the type of QB he is.

He has all the physical tools and numerous reports suggest he has the work ethic and mental toughness to make the transition to the NFL. He has been successful at every level and has shown he can pick up football systems like he did at Binn and Auburn in a matter of months.

Part of the problem with the spread offense translating to the NFL is the very simplistic nature of it. He was able to pick it up easily because he ran it at Florida, Blinn, and Auburn. They are all very similar offenses and they are all very simple to run. Cam does run it nearly perfectly though.

The spread gives the QB a chance to make one or two quick reads while he is using the play action to freeze the defense for a second. The fact that he runs 20+ times per game also gives him a tremendous amount of single coverage opportunities. Not to mention a large part of the spread offense is screen passes, which is just an extension of their run game.

Not to mention spreading 5 receivers wide and either running or taking advantage of the fact that your 3rd, 4th, and 5th receivers are all likely more talented, faster, and have the benefit of acting (as opposed to reacting).

Sure he will need more work at the pro-level and the leap to the pros is quite steep for many players. Yet who is better? Truth is he is the best player in college and is easily worthy of a number 1 pick. There is absolutely no reason to suggest he will be a bust at all except he can run well and he is black. For me those are lame stereotypical attitudes that we should really be able to get past.

As I stated previously, to say there is no reason to even suggest he will be a bust is quite incorrect. I'm not saying he will be a bust at all. But as it stands, there are plenty of reasons to be suspect of taking him very high.

In the season we've just been through I just dont see Hurney passing over Cam with the FIRST PICK in the draft. No way we trade down... thats definitely not going to happen

I think I once remember Hurney say he always draft the best player available during the draft. Not so much the best player on what we need, but the best player period

As I stated previously, to say there is no reason to even suggest he will be a bust is quite incorrect. I'm not saying he will be a bust at all. But as it stands, there are plenty of reasons to be suspect of taking him very high.

This. He may be great he may be a bust but to say there are no concerns is incorrect. See other post regarding some of the same issues as Dirty.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2893277&postcount=293

Like it or not the Panthers will not pick A.J. Green. You can mark me as saying that. We draft by need in the first round and it will be QB or DT. We are stacked at WR even if Smith leaves so it will not be WR.

Most players take 2-3 years to develop. If you draft a player based on this year's needs, that is erroneous thinking. You have a lot of money for free agents to get you over the immediate hump. I suggest people quit thinking that the draft is to produce immediate results in 2011. No QB in the draft will be ready to start in 2011, so this is silly to measure picks based on 2011 needs, needs that can easily be changed in free agency.

Smith is 32, short, unhappy, and will be hitting the wall if not already hitting it. If Wrs take a year or two to develop, now is the time. Gettis and Lafell are solid WRs, but to expect either to move up to #1 is lofty wishing. Green has all the tools. He is a low-risk prospect who will excel.

We may be loaded at WR in some eyes, but we don't have a true #1 WR right now. Smith can do it for another year tops, but ideally, a new one should come in. Smith would be better in the slot, and Gettis and Lafell would still be productive.

The days of the 2 wr sets here are over. Richardson is going to beef up the offense. We don't have as many WRs as people think. Basically, we have 3 now, and with no true #1, Smith will continue to get shut down and Gettis and Lafell will continue to serve as the #2 WR or a slot. In the future, I expect numerous 4 WR sets, active TEs, and backs out of the backfield. For this to work, you have to have a #1 who can beat their best CB and double teams. Smith aint that dude any more/

Archived