• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton looking better and better!

Tarheels23

Thats is the truth as much as I love Cam I dont think aj green is a gamble at all barring injury he is a sure bet too bad we dont have a QB!

I think if our O-Line comes back healthy (with some additions at depth) and a new OC/QB Coach. Clausen could turn out to be a solid player (In a few seasons he could even be good). Maybe just a game manager, but with a Powerful run game, healthy O-Line, and a new coach (hopefully some free reigns to let the OC be creative) then AJ Green could be the right fit for us. A new system changes everything, even how the player impacts the offense (meaning Clausen).

Just to make sure we are clear, I'm not a clean cut Clausen supporter. Just a Panther fan :)

At the end of the day I'd like to be able to rest my head on my pillow at night knowing that we got a player with potential to lead our franchise in a positive direction for years to come. A "Project" or "Experiment" isn't worth the #1 IMHO.

They're almost always projects and experiments.

DTs bust just as much, if not more than QBs. They're also notoriously slow to develop. The big name DT people want at #1 hasn't declared yet, is a one year wonder and wouldn't go top 5 most years. WRs usually take quite a while before they're worth the pick and demand big contracts which you pay out while they develop. CBs just don't get taken #1 ever. DE would be a solid choice, but the only guy there, again, is a one year wonder.

As for character, the only two squeaky clean guys are Bowers and Peterson.

I wouldn't take Newton #1, but he's only very slightly more risky than any of the other guys we have to choose from.

You know who I called a bust coming out of the draft last year? Bradford and The Golden Calf of Bristol...well, you see how that worked out. Just because some of you THINK Newton is going to be a bust doesn't mean that he will. Get over yourselves.

Just gonna join the lame-reasoning-bandwagon and say I don't want Green due to character issues. He has "Rae Carruth" written all over him.

Seems to me the majority of posters cracking on Newton are either angry because Luck went back to school and now they don't want any quarterback, or are Clausen supporters not wanting him to get replaced.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest Newton will be a bust. He has all the physical tools and numerous reports suggest he has the work ethic and mental toughness to make the transition to the NFL. He has been successful at every level and has shown he can pick up football systems like he did at Binn and Auburn in a matter of months. Sure he will need more work at the pro-level and the leap to the pros is quite steep for many players. Yet who is better? Truth is he is the best player in college and is easily worthy of a number 1 pick. There is absolutely no reason to suggest he will be a bust at all except he can run well and he is black. For me those are lame stereotypical attitudes that we should really be able to get past.

Will we pick him? I don't have a clue, but to call him a sure bust just points out either an ignorance of football or a bias against physical running quarterbacks who can throw a 40 yard pass on a rope. I really think if we pick him we will be looking back in a few years reflecting on the moment we found our franchise quarterback.

Newton too risky for the #1 pick. Too many character questions. Also, does not play under center...3 yr project at best. running ability will only go so far....not as much in NFL.
character concerns are really overblown, imo, and even with that from what i have been able to gather learned a lot form that experience but learned even more from his time at blinn jr. college. supposedly he did a lot of growing up and maturing there. read one of those postings i made with comments from one of the people in the athletic dept. there.

since he has been at auburn he has been nothing but a model citizen and student and has risen in a big way as a leader. his leadership skills are solid and the team benefits from his passion for the game. he is a student of the game and has an impressive work ethic always working to improve as a passer and even gets his receivers to work with him during unscheduled practice times.

he has been tested in a lot of ways this year and has been under a massive microscope that few college students have ever had to endure and through it all he has remained positive and focused on the game.

he gets unfairly compared to vince young and mike vick but he displays a work ethic that vick admittedly never had until recently and a mental toughness that VY has never had. VY would have crumbled in college had he been tested and scrutinzed the way that newton has been. remember VY's reaction to criticism as a pro his second year? thats something you won't have to worry about cam doing. he's been through the fire and he's doing well.

he gets labeld as a running QB a lot and while he has done a lot of running for sure, he is a much better psaser than he is given credit for. his mechanics are sound, he has a great pocket presence, he is confident, accurate and effecient with his passing, and he has excellent field vision.

he will need to learn to read defenses, but what QB doesn't coming out of college? very few have ever already been accustomed to reading them coming out of the gate. all have a lot to learn and i have yet to see anything that says he will have difficulty doing it.

i am not really concerned with his lack of playing under center. i think he would be able to if needed. he surely wouldn't have a difficult time looking over the Oline. i don't think that it is all that necessary that he spends a lot of time under center. tom brady rarely ever takes any from there (not that i am saying he's tom brady). they do that with him because that is what works best with him and their offense. the only problem is that it effects their run game. were we to run the pistol offense (which we should run with any rookie QB, imo, to get them acclimated to the game) he would have much of the benefit of the shotgun, but he would also have the RBs lined up directly behind him rather than beside him where they are in the shotgun and provides a whole lot more versatility in play design as a result. play action would work just fine.

is he a project? sure, but so are most QBs coming out of college. still doesn't mean that he wouldn't or couldn't do well if he was asked to start his rookie year. he most likely wouldn't be a probowler his first year and i honestly don't see him taking the team to the playoffs his rookie year but i do believe that he could keep the team competitive and i see him having a better year than VY did his rookie year (which was really good, btw.). VY's major problem wasn't he talent. he was successful early on. he was even successful when he finally got the start in '09 (and don't say that was bb/c of Cj running the ball. CJ was running the ball with collins @ QB and they went winless during that time). his problem was his emotional stability and that effected his play more than anything, imo. like i said, newton seems to have his head on a lot straighter than VY.

Archived