• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton looking better and better!

Tarheels23

Below Are Michael Vicks stats which warranted him being the consensus #1 over all pick in the 2001 NFL Draft. And he lost his National Championship game to Florida state, but still had a great game almost bringing the hokies back! He also was nominated for the Heisman and finished 3rd

Statistics

Passing Rushing

YEAR CMP ATT CMP% YDS TD INT ATT YDS TD

1999 90 153 58.8 1840 12 5 110 580 8

2000 97 179 54.2 1439 9 7 113 636 9

Now Below are Cam's stats (With still atleast one game to play)

Career Rushing: 263 Att, 1522 Yds, 5.8 Avg, 24 TD

Career Passing: 171 Cmp, 258 Att, 2643 Yds, 28 TD, 6int, 67.1% completion

How can you say the Michael Vick was justified to go #1 overall in 01 and Cam Newton shouldn't be considered with are top pick that is Crazy! Especially when you add Cam is 6-6 250 pounds and runs a 4.5, Vick did run a 4.3 at the combine but is only 6 ft flat and weighs 215 pounds!

wow....he crushes Vick in every stat. And Vick was dominating teams off pure talent and no work ethic in his ATL years. From what I've read Newton has the work ethic Vick was missing. Cam could be a very, very scary player. We can't pass on the opportunity.

wow....he crushes Vick in every stat. And Vick was dominating teams off pure talent and no work ethic in his ATL years. From what I've read Newton has the work ethic Vick was missing. Cam could be a very, very scary player. We can't pass on the opportunity.

I understand taking Newton, I really do, but how come Tyrod Taylor never gets any love? He re-wrote the record books at VT and shows just as much explosiveness as any other QB.

Edit: I obviously don't mean number 1 overall, but I'm talking later rounds, after we've addressed some serious needs on our team, CB and DT to be specific.

I understand taking Newton, I really do, but how come Tyrod Taylor never gets any love? He re-wrote the record books at VT and shows just as much explosiveness as any other QB.

Edit: I obviously don't mean number 1 overall, but I'm talking later rounds, after we've addressed some serious needs on our team, CB and DT to be specific.

Tyrod is a great player and definitely deserves a shot in the NFL, and I think he will get that shot. But when it comes down to the #1 pick, you have to go Newton, imo.

Tyrod is a great player and definitely deserves a shot in the NFL, and I think he will get that shot. But when it comes down to the #1 pick, you have to go Newton, imo.

I think what Ocho was getting at is we draft a position of need OTHER than QB in the first round with the #1 overall. But the #1 overall is (most of the time) rewarded to the most outstanding college football player in the draft, and this year that is Cam Newton (this is true, of course, only if you NEED the position that player plays). Since we need a QB, Newton SHOULD be our pick. Doesn't mean will be though.

I can't say I'd be TOO pissed if we grabbed a Fairely or a Peterson with the #1 and dove back in to pick up Tyrod (or Cam, if he is still available), but I think the risk outweighs the reward. Our defense, at worst, will be the same as it was last year (which is impressive). So, we need to go offense HARD in this draft. I say we double dip the first round, go for Newton and Fairely (or at least some other elite DT...i'm sure there has to be another one <_<). That would mean of course trading other picks, but screw it. Risk, reward. Getting two perennial first rounders on a team with needs is DEFINITELY worth the risk, IMO.

We will take Newton, convert him to TE or something, then trade all our other picks to a Denver or a Buffalo for their 1st and wind up taking a DT we haven't even heard of. Damn our FO...

Why compare Cam to Young? VY was good at Texas but he was no Cam Newton.

I would have liked Cam to stay in school another year to mature a little, and no he has not declared yet, but he is expected to declare for the draft a day or so after the game from what I read.

I think he has the talent to go #1 but he may have to sit and learn for a year. The spread offense QB's basically have to learn the position all over.

Newton too risky for the #1 pick. Too many character questions. Also, does not play under center...3 yr project at best. running ability will only go so far....not as much in NFL.

Where are the character questions? He made dumb mistakes as a freshman in college...who the hell hasn't? His work ethic and commitment to the game cannot be questioned (from earlier posts of interviews by coaches and teammates) and the investigation turned up nothing other than his dad being a typical broke parent who wants to make money off their kid.

Know who else didn't play under center in college? Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Sam Bradford, just to name a few.

You people need to quit thinking like JR and start looking at the PLAYER. He has taken some snaps from under center (I've watched every Auburn game that was either on TV or ESPN3.com) this season, so he can handle a snap. Sure, he hasn't done it a lot, but I don't think that it will be a huge problem. Clausen is just an imbecile, hence his troubles handling snaps, pressure in the pocket, throwing the ball downfield, and holding on to the football to take a hit. Newton will be FINE as a pro. He has shown no reason why he won't.

Character issues? AJ Green was found guilty in his investigation, and most of you want him. However, you won't take Newton. Hypocrisy runs deep on this board.

Archived