• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any free alternative to WORD?

charlotte49er

I have Microsoft Works that has a word proceesor in it, but it's not compatible with sites that you need to upload a Word document such as a resume.

Is there a free alternative to Word that I can download?

I also have WordPerfect that says it's compatible, but it really isn't. It makes some funky changes.

Tried to go to Open Office here at work for our travel laptops but the Access analogue just doesn't work with our old .mdb files for some reason. But for Word and Excel functionality I'm all over it and I usually view open source software like the e-bola virus.

why?

edit: if I were you I'd avoid Access like the e-bola virus. ;)

I don't like the fact that if some software tool that one of my techs downloaded hoses my network there is no one to sue. Just a total lack of trust in it in a business environment.

I'm less opposed to it on people personal computers, but I want software that comes from a vendor that has a real support staff for the environment that pays my mortgage. Ive been to too many wikis for open source that read like this place does.

Well sys admins always hate open source, there's no one to yell at. :)

Open source nerd fight! *Gets popcorn* :lurk5:

Trust me, I never argue open source with someone who has to deal with non-techies. As a developer I LOVE open source, but you can't argue with lack of good support(even if it is costly it usually pays for itself).

Archived