• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

HDMI cables

natty

You only need HDMI cables to hook something up to the TV to input a HD feed such as a HD DVR or a Playstation 3. If you have something like an old school DVD player it won't even have a HDMI hook up.

Go online or go to Sam's club to buy one. You shouldn't ever pay more than $20 for one.

Well, in the US that is. Just don't buy high dollar HDMI cables. They're a ripoff.

www.monoprice.com

best place to get a good, cost effective HDMI cable.

Component will be just fine for HD video from your cable box. HDMI has the advantage in that you can send audio AND video from your source to the TV. Component is the Blue, Red, and Green. Don't use the yellow video cable or S video because they will not send a HD signal.

Welcome to the land oF HDTV =) You won't go back =)

EDIT: Also make sure you get the HD Cable box from your provider. Otherwise you won't be able to get the actual HD signal from your cable company. You can get an over the air antenna to pick up HD signals from your locally broadcast, over the air stations.

Overpriced HDMI = teh Debil. Don't pay more than $10 for a 6' cable. Hell, $20 is too much for me when I can order one off monoprice for uber cheap. And monoprice cables are very high quality. I have been nothing but pleased with both my monoprice HDMI cables.

But you definately DO want to go HDMI. Component is an analog HD signal, you're going t want to go digital to get all yo ucan from your new TV. Dont worry too much about the 1080p, youre not gettin that from any other source than a BluRay, or a now defunct HD DVD. But these guys are right, do not pay lots, theyre available cheap, but just as good all around. And none of yous should be patronizing BstBuy anyway. Go buy a $100 item, pay in cash, then try to return it the next day with your reciept. You will get a gift card for $85. Unless you charge it and then dispute it. BB thinks that once youve spent your money with them, it should stay with them. Denied. Sorry about the rant, I hope I saved someone some loot...

But you definately DO want to go HDMI. Component is an analog HD signal, you're going t want to go digital to get all yo ucan from your new TV. Dont worry too much about the 1080p, youre not gettin that from any other source than a BluRay, or a now defunct HD DVD. But these guys are right, do not pay lots, theyre available cheap, but just as good all around. And none of yous should be patronizing BstBuy anyway. Go buy a $100 item, pay in cash, then try to return it the next day with your reciept. You will get a gift card for $85. Unless you charge it and then dispute it. BB thinks that once youve spent your money with them, it should stay with them. Denied. Sorry about the rant, I hope I saved someone some loot...

That's what I'm really curious about. Part of me wants to go pure digital....well, just because. But if component cables work just as well then I guess I'll stick with that.

I think this is the TV I got(although it was $50 cheaper), so it's not like I'm dealing with top of the line stuff.

And I'll never buy an expensive digital cable. Salesmen upsell them to people who obviously have no clue what digital means. A bit is a bit is a bit - as long as the cable can carry a bit from location A to location B it's a good cable.

Thanks fellas.

Archived