• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cowher ready to coach

grateflday

I am amazed at the number of people who say 'but, but, it took him so long to win a super bowl'. There are a few coaches in that category in NFL lore and there are also a few really great coaches who never won one. The thing is, Cowher's teams were in the hunt more often than not, they were more competitive than not, and I can tell you, as someone who makes the drive from Raleigh to Charlotte every week, I would welcome making that drive to and from, knowing odds are, I'm going to see a competitive team week to week.

I think Cowher is a great coach and smart enough to get the right assistants to help him and that's 9/10ths of being a great leader, knowing who and what, you need to succeed.

I hope it does happen too, for all of those on this board who seem to think they know what JR will do based on what is said in the media. If it happens, I will secretly feel smug lol and this is, after all, what posting on a board is all about, well, other than sharing good and bad times with the team.

Actually, wanting to be like the Steelers is an argument against hiring Cowher.

The Steelers never hire retreads. They don't even interview them. They only look at up-and-coming coaches.

If you want to follow that model, Cowher isn't an option.

I was going to post this... :D

I think the fact that he was able to win with inferior QBs (Stewart, Maddox, etc) and the team lost free agents every year while having one of the lowest payrolls in the NFL is a HUGE detail about Cowher that makes him perfect for the Panthers. Julius Peppers and Jake Delhomme exposed weaknesses in our front office and coaching staff. First, the Panthers had no answer to the Peppers situation. Peppers was offered mega money and turned it down. He did not like the scheme and felt his talents weren't being utilized. Then we overpay for Jake Delhomme. We threw money at problems and it did nothing. We could not replace them, even when both underperformed.

Every year Cowher and the Steelers lost key players to free agency. They simply replaced them. They never overpaid for players. They coached the depth and scouted for the system. We draft Everette Brown, Eric Norwood, Armanti Edwards and don't have places for them to play where they can succeed. Our Wide recievers are at best third round draft picks, and the only good, proven one was drafted 10 years ago.

Cowher is a good fit because he didn't waste players. The only bust I can recall is Richardo Collquough or whatever his name was. They found players and made them good. They also knew when to let them walk, and never felt much separation anxiety because they projected future needs. This makes his salary worth every dime, whatever he asks for. This is why we are losing now, and it is something he will correct.

1) none of those guys are worth starting or building a team around

2) we need a vet brought in...but not to start. on the sidelines and as a backup. rookie will become a vet soon enough.

we won't keep both rookies from this year...i'm fully expecting none of the QBs on the roster to be around after this year. pike would be released (only a 6th rounder). moore will just not be re-signed. clausen will be traded.

49ers are in about as bad a shape at QB as the panthers. you want them to go after one of the FAs this year? lol good luck with that.

where did i say that you should rebuild the team around one of these veterans??? i just said that you need a vet between these rookies...

i would laugh at your organsiation if you trade clausen away for a cheap price...

Archived