• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cowher ready to coach

grateflday

It is hard to argue against 10 playoff appearances in 15 seasons.

Somehow the mindset around here is that ONLY winning 1 Super Bowl in a 15 year coaching career while making the playoffs 10 times is bad. This board in general has a greatly distorted view of success in the NFL. Teams like the Patriots are a historical exception that come along about once every 10 years or so. Most teams are just happy to get to the playoffs every now and then and a great many more haven't even been in contention for several years. People need to understand what realistic success is in professional football.

Having said that, naturally I'd take Cowher and his resume in a second.

Can someone please explain the infatuation with Cowher?

It took him TEN playoff seasons to win a Superbowl. TEN. He has a high winning percentage, but he has consistently crapped out in the playoffs.

I don't get it.

And +1 to what Cavscout said. There is no chance in hell JR and company give up decision power. That is the nail in the coffin to this situation.

He also, during most of the lean years before they built a revenue-generating stadium, had one of the lowest payrolls in the league, year in and year out. But he won. And when the Roonies decided to shell out the buck, he brought home the Lombardi trophy. He won with mirrors for years. It seemed that every year he would lose a stud or two to free agency, but he would reload. People seem to forget about that part of the equation. Like how he won without quality QBs until Ben showed up. He makes you love football because he gives it all he has. His players love him and give him all they have. I have a friend who played at Carolina and for Cowher for a couple years as a reserve OT. He claimed that people would do anything for the guy.

I think you all take it too far when you say JR wants to be just like the Steelers.. him agreeing with how they run their FO doesn't mean he wants to idolize them.. just because Cowher coached for the Steelers doesn't mean JR feels compelled to hire him due to some crazy Steeler obsession..

Cowher's overall winning percentage is impressive...taking as long as he did to reach, and win the superbowl is not impressive.

That puts him in the same conversation as a Norv Turner....a very good coach...but chokes when it matters. Spin that however you want.

I have always liked Cowher. He IS a good coach. That being said.....it's all moot cause Richardson would never give Cowher the control he desires. Nor should Cowher have all the control.

So, would Cowher accept a job as the Panthers head coach without that control?

I would love to have Cowher here. For those bashing his taking so many years to win the Super Bowl, remember he was in the AFC, which during his time period, was much more competitive then the NFC, especially the 2001+ Patriots, but the Steelers remained in contention. Offensively we are set up to what he likes, pound the rock etc, we even have the college QB transitioning to WR that he seemed to love and suceed(see Ward, Hines; Randle El Antawn). However defensively, he runs the 3-4, which would require us to somehow locate a NT, and at least 1 end depending if Charles Johnson can convert to a 3-4 DE or not. This would also mean the end of Meeks, who seems pretty popular around here, so Cowher has ups and downs.

JR loves the Steelers. He wants his team to be like them. (I do too) Cowher just might be the man he's looking for.

Actually, wanting to be like the Steelers is an argument against hiring Cowher.

The Steelers never hire retreads. They don't even interview them. They only look at up-and-coming coaches.

If you want to follow that model, Cowher isn't an option.

Actually, wanting to be like the Steelers is an argument against hiring Cowher.

The Steelers never hire retreads. They don't even interview them. They only look at up-and-coming coaches.

If you want to follow that model, Cowher isn't an option.

Absolutley, there is no parallel between the Panther and Steeler organizations.

Steelers 3 Head Coaches in 41 years.

Panthers 3 head Coaches in 15 years.

Drawing conclusions on what might occur in 2011 from this type of data makes me chuckle.

Apparently the Steelrs do a tremendous job of hiring Head Coaches and are without peers. One of those head Coaches is available and still in his prime. I here he is ready to coach again as well.

I am not sure if the Panthers want Cowher, but I am pretty sure he would take the Panther job if the terms were right. Hurney's role could change to accomodate Cowher's desire to be in control of personnel. Let Hurney work on contract negotiations, research, interviews, etc. But only after Cowher determines who would fit the system. Hurney came on board after the Super Bowl team core was established, had a few good signings, but frankly, our free agent acquisitions, for the most part, benefited the free agent more than the Panthers. I look at Hartwig, Wahle, WRs Keyshawn and that one from Seattle, QBs, etc. There were bright spots, like Chris Harris, but for the whole, there seemed to be disconnect. Lately, when we started trading away #1 picks for undersized or oft-injured players, there seemed to be desperation. In fact, the #1 overall pick, the one the Panther fans are hoping will land a stud QB or solidify the future, was shopped and offered to teams in last year's draft. Hurney admitted that he tried to trade up into the bottom of the first round and spent the night between rounds one and two trying to trade the pick for the right to draft Jimmy Clausen. Considering that he would later draft an undersized WR who played QB at a small college, one has to question how much of that mess would have been tolerated under Cowher's watch.

Archived