• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Free antivirus software?

cptx

It's really kinda weird.. i get these crazy graphics stupidness.

everything was fine until i was playing WoW with my brother last weekend. about 4 hours into it, i started having display problems. it looked all blocky and distorted.

it's different every reboot. either its graphics glitches, or the computer runs really slow.

i'm stumped.

I used to use AVG free at work on a standalone terminal we had and I have no complaints on it.

I've been using it for years. Now even the free edition is updated automatically. www.free.avg.com

Your problem could be that your video card is on its way out. Four hours of WoW can overheat your card big time especially if it was on the edge to begin with. And graphics card problems can slow your computer alot. My pc is 6 years old, I upgraded the graphics when I first got it and I've had to replace the graphics card twice more. Doesn't WoW have a utility to check your graphics card? Guild Wars does. Make sure, too, that your graphics drivers are up to date.

Also, if a virus or malware is taking your resources, Windows will step down graphics first to keep running. Get an antivirus plus scan with both SpyBot S&D and Malwarebyte's Anti-malware. Might keep you from spending $$ to replace the graphics ard.

Good luck!

anyone know/use any that works?

if not, methinks i need to shell out the $ to get one.

its either a virus, or something in my computer is f*cked...

Can you describe what your computer is doing exactly?

As for anti-virus software, never stay with just one. There are plenty of good free ones out there, but not all cover everything. I would run one, such as AVG and pay for the premium version. The freeware version does not look for the really mean viruses like rootkits.

Once a week, run Spybot S&D, ATF Cleaner, Malware Bytes and SuperAntiSpyware to keep a squeaky clean computer.

If your computer is slowing down, it may not even be a virus. If your power supply is failing, or just not powerful enough to run your rig, it could be causing Windows to run sluggish as it has to constantly reroute power to keep your components running.

'preciate the info y'all.

i'm thinking maybe it's the power supply, now. when i turn the processor fan down, the graphics glitches almost disappear, but it still runs like doodoo....

I still get wierd stuff like bars and boxes(similar to satelite tv during bad weather) just not as bad as when the fan is on full speed.it's still pretty gnarly. i can barely read this as i type it.

i dunno.

btw.. if i hit my 'puter real hard, the graphics glitches go away. sometimes. ill runs like poop, though.

Antivirus software is really the only software that I intentionally purchase. I'm sure there's some good free stuff out there, but I always think that you're not paying for the software, you're paying for the team that runs it. I've tried free antivirus, but since I got nod32 I've been completely clean. http://www.eset.com/products/

As far as your graphics problems, it's most likely a heat issue. Take the side panel off your case and feel the power supply when you're running a game, if it's REALLY hot then that's probably your problem. Also check the fan on your video card - I had one blow out because the dust was so thick in the fan that it couldn't turn.

You can download a hardware monitor to see if anythings running hot as well or if your fans are failing. http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Archived