• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question about concussions...

TheRealDeal

This thread has been determined useless already.

Seriously though can we agree that most people know that there are different degrees of concussions? Can we also agree that most people know that you have to have an "independent" doctor's clearance to play? Moving on.

I do like that you gave your opinion on the sitting out the next week. Since we are moving towards safety and all it would be smart. Moore was throwing up on the sidelines but somehow passes his test? I find it shocking/disturbing that only 2 guys (that we've named so far) out of 20? 30? 40? have been able to play the week after. It just makes me think something was forcing him back into action (probably himself) and the system didn't stop it.

So this is really all about you trying to explain why Moore sucked this year? LOL

Let it go man, just let it go...

New standards and requirements were put into place this season for players suffering from concussions:

"The new policy states, in part: "Once removed for the duration of a practice or game, the player should not be considered for return-to-football activities until he is fully asymptomatic, both at rest and after exertion, has a normal neurological examination, normal neuropsychological testing and has been cleared to return by both his team physician(s) and the independent neurological consultant."

"Teams were told this month they have to find an outside neurologist who can be consulted on concussions, and NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Wednesday all of those independent doctors have been approved and are in place."

It's no longer the team doctor making the call based upon the encouragement of the coach and the player. Each team has an independent neurologist assigned to assess each player effected and those neurologists must be league approved.

Typically, the player is out of the game, is evaluated on Monday initially and must be completely asymptomatic by Wednesday to be cleared for the following Sunday.

Please tell us more about the process.

Edit: The only interesting thing from your post is that the team is supposed to find the so-called "independent" doctor.

"Yes sir Mr. Goodell, Dr. Jones is the Carolina Panthers independent doctor"

I think you just did a poor job of wording your question. It was like I almost got what you were asking but not really. Thats why you are getting straight to the point answers which was my first response.

I think you just did a poor job of wording your question. It was like I almost got what you were asking but not really. Thats why you are getting straight to the point answers which was my first response.

I guess but I didn't think I asked "What is the process to play after getting a concussion?"

I asked why only 2 of 20-40 players have passed those tests and should they have been able to try and pass those tests. Then it got jumbled

Re-read the post. The independent physician must be approved by the league. Say what you will about that process, whatever it may be. Just putting the info out there:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Neurology/HeadTrauma/17302

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d814a9ecd&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/12/02/league-announces-stricter-concussion-guidelines/

Every instance I've read involved a player who had to pass all the post-incident tests no later than Wednesday before being declared out of the game. I don't know that Wednesday is a hard and fast day set by the league office or whatever, but I can say that every player who has not been cleared to play the following Sunday was not able to pass all the tests by Wednesday. Isn't Wednesday the league's injury report day? Just asking.

Just from a purely personal anecdotal standpoint:

I don't see how a player could "ignore/hide" a moderately severe concussion to any degree. I've definitely had one good one, and it was impossible to ignore. Running at a moderate pace for less than a minute would induce a severe headache. Bright light would induce a severe headache. Any jarring (even very minor, like someone stopping short in a car while I was riding in it) would induce a headache. (you get the point)

A doctor would probably test some of the above, not to mention the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus test, (it's the thing cops do to see if you're drunk) which is usually a good indicator of head injury, assuming one is sober. Head injuries, and the evaluation thereof, are not pseudo-science. If the concussion is anything but minor, there should be some clues.

Now, one could argue until their blue in the face about the integrity of doctors that are evaluating the players, but that's just speculation. All I'm trying to point out is this: If somebody has messed up their squash, it's not that hard to evaluate.

Just from a purely personal anecdotal standpoint:

I don't see how a player could "ignore/hide" a moderately severe concussion to any degree. I've definitely had one good one, and it was impossible to ignore. Running at a moderate pace for less than a minute would induce a severe headache. Bright light would induce a severe headache. Any jarring (even very minor, like someone stopping short in a car while I was riding in it) would induce a headache. (you get the point)

A doctor would probably test some of the above, not to mention the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus test, (it's the thing cops do to see if you're drunk) which is usually a good indicator of head injury, assuming one is sober. Head injuries, and the evaluation thereof, are not pseudo-science. If the concussion is anything but minor, there should be some clues.

Now, one could argue until their blue in the face about the integrity of doctors that are evaluating the players, but that's just speculation. All I'm trying to point out is this: If somebody has messed up their squash, it's not that hard to evaluate.

I agree with this and the league has done nothing but take steps to help prevent head injuries lately so I doubt anything shady is going on. If that was what Real Deal was implying.

I agree with this and the league has done nothing but take steps to help prevent head injuries lately so I doubt anything shady is going on. If that was what Real Deal was implying.

Fug it.

Let's try something new.

To erase any kind of controversy at all, should the league implement a mandated 1 week "medical suspension" to all players who leave the game/practice with a head injury?

I know Catman there are different degress of severity but if only 2/40 (my guess keeps going up) players are cleared to play then it's not enough to NOT suspend them all.

Fug it.

Let's try something new.

To erase any kind of controversy at all, should the league implement a mandated 1 week "medical suspension" to all players who leave the game/practice with a head injury?

I know Catman there are different degress of severity but if only 2/40 (my guess keeps going up) players are cleared to play then it's not enough to NOT suspend them all.

I would say this is where the NFL is heading. Damn this thread was like solving a rubiks cube.

No, that's too vague (imho). Define "head injury". (ie; concussion, headache, laceration to forehead, bruise on back of head, forehead, side of head, earache, toothache, broken jaw, etc...) What constitutes a "head injury"?

Where are you getting this 2/40 number? I'm not sure this is an accurate representation. Link?

I don't think Moore should have played following his concussion, but hindsight is 20/20. I do not think he was forced to in order to keep his job, I think he honestly wanted to get out there and play for the team. if he was pressured... heh... well without proof speculation is worthless.

I do think that in the case of a concussion, a player should be required to miss a week. I just don't think the NFL should play around with that sort of head injury.

Archived