• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question about concussions...

TheRealDeal

So I read Stewart is out with his head injury and it got me to thinking...

How many times have we heard of a head injury this year where the player was out for game and got to play the next week? I can only think of two, Moore and Rodgers.

So many players, especially QBs miss games each week because of concussions and it makes me wonder why Moore didn't sit out or Rodgers.

Moore was probably scared to lose his job and felt he would if he sat out.

Rodgers means so much to his team, since they are a pass pass pass team, is the only thing I can think of.

Is this weird in any way? Should more players be allowed to play? Should Moore and Rodgers have sat? Should there be a standardized "medical suspension" for concussions and head injuries?

They have to be cleared by a doctor to play. Sometimes they are sometimes the aren't.

I know the process. Do you really think it's that hard to get an NFL team to get an "independent" doctor from clearing their guy? Why are only 2 guys out of who knows how many cleared to play the week after?

Wasn't Moore throwing up on the sidelines? That seems serious.

I was asking if you think there is more that could go into it, if some guys are encouraged to play and other guys are encouraged to sit out?

If there were "medical suspensions" for concussions kind of like how athletic commissions suspend fighters after fights so they can heal up without any interference would that be better than the current system?

I know the process. Do you really think it's that hard to get an NFL team to get an "independent" doctor from clearing their guy? Why are only 2 guys out of who knows how many cleared to play the week after?

Wasn't Moore throwing up on the sidelines? That seems serious.

I was asking if you think there is more that could go into it, if some guys are encouraged to play and other guys are encouraged to sit out?

If there were "medical suspensions" for concussions kind of like how athletic commissions suspend fighters after fights so they can heal up without any interference would that be better than the current system?

Maybe its because a RB is way more likely to take a shot to the head? And if you knew the process you wouldn't have asked to begin with.

How many times have we heard of a head injury this year where the player was out for game and got to play the next week? I can only think of two, Moore and Rodgers.

Moore was probably scared to lose his job and felt he would if he sat out.

Is this weird in any way? Should more players be allowed to play? Should Moore and Rodgers have sat? Should there be a standardized "medical suspension" for concussions and head injuries?

They have to be cleared by a doctor to play. Sometimes they are sometimes the aren't.

Maybe its because a RB is way more likely to take a shot to the head? And if you knew the process you wouldn't have asked to begin with.

I think you are missing the point of my posts as neither of your posts have had anything to do with mine. I asked for opinions on if Moore felt he needed to be back and that could sway the process. Also asked if it's weird that only 2/20ish players have come back (that I can think off the top of my head). Also asked if there should have been a standard medical suspension for head injuries.

I never asked what the process was.

There are varying degrees of concussions, and individuals heal differently.

When a player returns is all based on the assessment of a independant doctor (meaning he does not work for the team).

Moore could have lied and said he felt fine in order to return to the field, but there are tests he would have failed if he really wasn't ready.

I've had 3 concussions. The first one was so bad that I went to see a neurologist. The neurologist did an MRI and ran me through a series of tests to determine how bad off I was, one of the tests involved me closing my eyes and tilting my head back... I immedialty got vertigo and almost fell down.

You can fool the doctor by saying you feel good, but you can't fool the tests.

When a player returns is all based on the assessment of a independant doctor (meaning he does not work for the team).

Can we please stop pretending like I don't know the process. Can we also please stop pretending that every doctor only has the best interest of their patient in mind?

"What's that? He's not cleared? Oh okay well I doubt we'll be bringing JStew here....Huh? Moore is cleared to play, great thanks"

Not saying it happens but it can. Now please focus on the other parts if you are going to respond.

Do you think outside factors try and force players back into action before they are ready?

DO you think their should be a different system such as mandated week long suspensions?

Can we please stop pretending like I don't know the process. Can we also please stop pretending that every doctor only has the best interest of their patient in mind?

"What's that? He's not cleared? Oh okay well I doubt we'll be bringing JStew here....Huh? Moore is cleared to play, great thanks"

Not saying it happens but it can. Now please focus on the other parts if you are going to respond.

Do you think outside factors try and force players back into action before they are ready?

DO you think their should be a different system such as mandated week long suspensions?

Has it occured to you that maybe Moore and Rodgers didn't sit out because they cleared the tests and Stewart did not?

Do I think there should be a mandated period for which a player has to sit out? No... because that would ignore the fact that there are varying degrees of concussions and it would unfairly keep players from returning to the field that were otherwise ready to play.

I do think there are factors that force players to try and return before they are ready, and there are unethical Doctors, but in most cases those forces are irrelevant because most Doctors are ethical and will not give a player clearance to return to the field if he does not pass the tests (which you can't fool).

Can't remember his name right now, but there is Chicago Bear that's out all season because of concussion. And his career might be over. But has been pointed out there are different degrees of concussion. I believe it should be mandatory that if a player is diagnosed with one he misses the rest of that game and at least another week.

Can't remember his name right now, but there is Chicago Bear that's out all season because of concussion. And his career might be over. But has been pointed out there are different degrees of concussion. But I believe it should be mandatory that if a player is diagnosed with one he misses the rest of that game and at least another week.

This thread has been determined useless already.

Seriously though can we agree that most people know that there are different degrees of concussions? Can we also agree that most people know that you have to have an "independent" doctor's clearance to play? Moving on.

I do like that you gave your opinion on the sitting out the next week. Since we are moving towards safety and all it would be smart. Moore was throwing up on the sidelines but somehow passes his test? I find it shocking/disturbing that only 2 guys (that we've named so far) out of 20? 30? 40? have been able to play the week after. It just makes me think something was forcing him back into action (probably himself) and the system didn't stop it.

I guess my point wasn't aimed at specifically Stewart but the NFL as a whole.

But failed thread is a failed thread.

Understood that you were using Stewart as an example, so was I.

The answer is the same, there are varying degrees of concussions so it would be silly to mandate that a player must sit out for a minimum standard amount of time just because they have a concussion.

Players always want to get back out on the field for various reasons, and will tell Doctors they feel fine, the good news is that there are tests that are part of the concussion evaluation that you cannot fool, if you are not ready to return to action you will fail these tests miserably.

There are unethical Doctors, but there's a limit to which even they are willing to risk their reputation and livelihood on returning a player to action who is not ready.

Archived