• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trying not to be a Matt Moore homer...

TheRealDeal

As I've said before I liken Moore to Derek Anderson or Shaun Hill or John Kitna. He is a great backup and is capable of having a big game but generally when the pressure is off.

I'm not at all saying the Clausen is the answer btw, I just don't see how Moore gets over his blown opportunity to lead the team when it counted. If he turns things around and takes this team to the playoffs, I think he greatly increases his chances of returning but doesn't guarantee it.

Those guys you just named are experienced vets though. MM is still learning to play, so fans should have expected him to have a bad game or two. Heck, MM has only played the equivalent of about half a season so far, so there is a good chance he still hasn't reached his ceiling yet.

As I've said before I liken Moore to Derek Anderson or Shaun Hill or John Kitna. He is a great backup and is capable of having a big game but generally when the pressure is off.

I'm not at all saying the Clausen is the answer btw, I just don't see how Moore gets over his blown opportunity to lead the team when it counted. If he turns things around and takes this team to the playoffs, I think he greatly increases his chances of returning but doesn't guarantee it.

I think that assessment is way too early at this point. How many of those guys have a 64% winning percentage in their starts like he does. Having 2 bad games when really the whole team was young and inexperienced with rookie receivers is hardly a big knock on him. If he had started for a team like Green Bay or the Jets and was that horrible it might be a problem. But knocking a guy for stinking it up on a team that was the youngest team in the league when he only had 8 starts himself is little better than blaming a rookie for stinking it up. If he plays well the rest of the year he will start here or elsewhere next year. But he will start for someone.

I believe that if MM plays out the season with some consistency and some wins, he would come into camp as starter next year. Why not? The real question is who is a new coach going to bring in that could give MM a run for he starting job? MM is a solid young QB who has shown that he can play at a high level in the NFL. Regardless, he will only be somewhere that he has the OPPORTUNITY to start. I would love for that to be in Carolina. We have some pieces in place that could turn into something special in the next couple of years.

Archived