• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trying not to be a Matt Moore homer...

TheRealDeal

Please don't take this post the wrong way and attack me but hear me out.

If this game proved anything yesterday it was how valuable a good backup QB is in this league. Not taking anything away from our win or our team but when David Carr came in you saw just how inept he was, if you hadn't known that from his time here. It amazes me how guys like this still have a job. Anyway, for the people who say Moore has no chance of being here next year I think this game is a reason why he SHOULD be here. He has proved that he is a good backup QB, if not a starter in this league. Be careful what you wish for or he could be gone and next year we could be one play away from having a David Carr type backup QB.

Some food for thought.

The best thing about him being a future backup is that if he does well throughout the year and manages games, you know whoever is our next QB will have to perform better, thus making our QB position much less of an AAHHHH!! situation.

I really hope he can manage around 15 TDs and keep the INTs below that number.

I do think he'll play well and be given a chance to start but if he doesn't do that then at least he has proven to be an above average backup in his years here in Carolina. No way the new coach/FO gets rid of that and tries to find a new one when the risk of finding a Carr is out there.

So true. I'd pie you if I could, RealDeal.

Even if he doesn't look great for the rest of the year, if he at least looks decent, bring him back. He's proven he can be a great backup and he has a nice arm. He's shown he can take benching well, he's mature, and poised.

Assuming no regression, he's in for next year imo, even if he doesn't play lights out... if he does, well... sky's the limit. Being realistic, though, he is fighting for his job still. Nothing is secure. I hope he handles that pressure well and stays loose.

yeah, but we're trying not to be homers here and be a little on the cautious side. I want to drink the koolaid too, and let's hope we'll all be downing the stuff by the gallon in the coming weeks, but for now, he's proven he's a great option as a backup IF NOTHING ELSE, and let's hope there is quite a bit of "else" =)

yeah, but we're trying not to be homers here and be a little on the cautious side. I want to drink the koolaid too, and let's hope we'll all be downing the stuff by the gallon in the coming weeks, but for now, he's proven he's a great option as a backup IF NOTHING ELSE, and let's hope there is quite a bit of "else" =)

Yeah, I hear you. The way I see it though, this is still a competition between JC and MM and the best QB should win, regardless of draft status or contract.

Let's be honest...it was the 49ers

I want to see Moore play well against the Steelers, Ravens etc.

I have seen this comment a few times, and I don't agree with the implication that Moore succeeded against a bad defense. The forty niners have one of the better defenses in the league. At very least they are in the top half of the league. They are 1-6 mostly due to turnovers with 6 fumbles lost and 10 interceptions thrown. Basically, they are a lot like us.

People yell at me and call me names so I'd rather just have an honest discussion. I'm keeping my hopes high that he will be the starter here for years to come but this debate or thread wasn't supposed to be about that. It was about the value of a good backup QB. Even if the new coach brings in his own guy, I think Moore sticks around due to his ability to play in this league in some capacity. I don't think he will be let go because another team will scoop him up like that, perhaps the 49ers even. I think he is a starter in this league and will be on a roster for years to come.

Archived