• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At what point in the season does Tony Pike get starter snaps?

Flying Lion

But he has potential! He is 6'6!

Both are valid points. I mean, he hasn't had anything to do with the 'success' we have experienced so far. Honestly, even if we just let them script out a couple drives it couldn't hurt. Are we going to lose even more than we already are?

I say if we aren;t winning games by week 10 then why not?

Both are valid points. I mean, he hasn't had anything to do with the 'success' we have experienced so far. Honestly, even if we just let them script out a couple drives it couldn't hurt. Are we going to lose even more than we already are?

I say if we aren;t winning games by week 10 then why not?

I was kidding. I think Pike would poop his pants out there. But thats not too much worse than our QB play now.

I enjoyed watching Pike play in college and want to drink that Clausen Kool-aid, so I'm torn.

Like has been said in the past (and mildly said in this thread) the drafting of both Jimmy and Tony makes no sense, especially if Jimmy isn't performing as well as hoped (though there's a LOT more going on then just him -- I still am sipping the red stuff) and we have no desire to start Pike.

If our goal was to 'groom' a backup - and we lost faith in Hunter - I'd've rather seen an UDFA.

Such is life.

Back on topic, besides randomly freaking out and running in circles and getting sacked, Clausen's biggest fault is his lack of getting the ball over the pass rushers -- if nothing else, Tony won't have this problem (he'll just have others).

So, we need to teach Jimmy to scramble, or rely on Pike's height. I vote option (a), but will support (B).

eh... putting pike in there for "one game" or "one quarter" can do a lot of damage to Clausen, if indeed he is the future of our franchise. For one, it sets him back in the short term, because he loses precious reps with the first team. anyone who has been watching this team realizes that it is probably a terrible idea to make a switch like that right now, considering how little chemistry there is already.

second, it shows a disturbing lack of commitment and belief in his ability to succeed by the coaches... 'course, so did bringing in Moore to throw two picks at the end of the game, so maybe it'll happen!

• 1 month later...

Pike will probably get some game snaps before the season is over just to evaluate him futher in game conditions.

I feel Tony Pike has a lot of upside but his development was set back somewhat when he injured his arm in college and couldn't work in the weight room to get stronger.

Pike will probably get some game snaps before the season is over just to evaluate him futher in game conditions.

I feel Tony Pike has a lot of upside but his development was set back somewhat when he injured his arm in college and couldn't work in the weight room to get stronger.

With Clausen suffering a concussion, there is a pretty good chance that Pike will start this weekend. That should be fun, with a rookie QB going up against the Ravens.

eh... putting pike in there for "one game" or "one quarter" can do a lot of damage to Clausen, if indeed he is the future of our franchise. For one, it sets him back in the short term, because he loses precious reps with the first team. anyone who has been watching this team realizes that it is probably a terrible idea to make a switch like that right now, considering how little chemistry there is already.

second, it shows a disturbing lack of commitment and belief in his ability to succeed by the coaches... 'course, so did bringing in Moore to throw two picks at the end of the game, so maybe it'll happen!

More damage than putting in Clausen who has a concussion?? Hardly. Clausen doesn't need to be playing against a team that blitzes as much as Baltimore with our line. That is asking for another concussion. At this point I would put in Pike and see what he does. With a new coach and position guys next year, none of what is happening this year should set anyone back. Plus it isn't like he has played that well anyway to expect to be starting or feeling bad if they put in someone else. If he is smart he will forget about this year as soon as it is over just like the rest of us.

Archived