• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At what point in the season does Tony Pike get starter snaps?

Flying Lion

The Matt Moore experiment was an epic fail.

Jimmy is showing why some draft boards had him insanely high... and low.

It's great to see Armanti make some plays today.

The question is: When does Tony Pike get a chance to take the helm? The ship is sinking and it most likely is not going to have a huge impact on the seasons outcome. However, it could light a fire and start a hot streak- the caveat is there is a point of no return. Look at Bad Touch Ben in his rookie season. People forget this is a guys who was ranked quite highly and part of our sixth round draft piracy this year.

Do we wait for the point of no return or give him a chance before it is too late?

I agree Cat. Our offensive philosophy without Smitty is check downs and Tony Pike has height and accuracy over Clausen. It is his arm that is questionable.

http://wwhttp://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2232w.thehuddle.com/x10/nfl_draft/scout_rpt/qb-tony-pike.php

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2232

He had a late start in camp b/c of Cinci's class schedule and needs time to learn the playbook.

My question is when do you think we turn to him for a spark b/c we need something and nothing seems to be getting the job done right now?

some people on this board act as if they have never watched football before. it's simple if we contend & moore plays well(he starts) but since he is not part of the long term plans & we aren't going to the playoffs, you play clausen no matter what unless he gets hurt period

some people on this board act as if they have never watched football before. it's simple if we contend & moore plays well(he starts) but since he is not part of the long term plans & we aren't going to the playoffs, you play clausen no matter what unless he gets hurt period

I don't see your logic.

If he (Jimmy) is the future. You continue to throw him to the dogs so he can be hurt in games by other teams or air. Urlacher just scared the wind out of him. You think that he can remain healthy all year? Look at what happened to Alex Smith. If the coaches change, if you know the system and personel are going to be different in the future, how on Earth do you justify this? There is nothing to gain by losing most of your games - people will say "He can't win" or taking "too many hits" from playing behind.

I understand that you need to give him his time, but you don't want to ruin his career, do you?

Giving Tony Pike the helm affords you the opportunity to evaluate your roster and lessen the impact of a lost season for your potentially cornerstone QB

I don't see your logic.

If he (Jimmy) is the future. You continue to throw him to the dogs so he can be hurt in games by other teams or air. Urlacher just scared the wind out of him. You think that he can remain healthy all year? Look at what happened to Alex Smith. If the coaches change, if you know the system and personel are going to be different in the future, how on Earth do you justify this? There is nothing to gain by losing every game - people will say "He can't win" , "Too many hits" from playing behind.

I understand that you need to give him his time, but you don't want to ruin his career, do you?

he'll be fine, jimmy is a tough kid, either way aikman lived thru his rookie season

he'll be fine, jimmy is a tough kid, either way aikman lived thru his rookie season

I am not doubting his toughness. It isn;t even a question of toughness. He does have a history of injuries though. That speaks to his fragility.

You cited Troy Aikman, there are many more stories about QB's getting lost following a 1st year change than there are of HOF success.

I still don;t buy your logic. Respect the sentiment but it doesn't make much sense towards the larger picture. What if Tony Pike is a HOF QB?

I am not doubting his toughness. It isn;t even a question of toughness. He does have a history of injuries though. That speaks to his fragility.

You cited Troy Aikman, there are many more stories about QB's getting lost following a 1st year change than there are of HOF success.

I still don;t buy your logic. Respect the sentiment but it doesn't make much sense towards the larger picture. What if Tony Pike is a HOF QB?

then he's not the qb many think he is, if pike is that good he'll get his chance to play at some point. i haven't seen anything that makes me think clausen is in danger of getting hurt(so play on)

Why don't you go cheer for another team and stop bringing your dumbass football IQ here.

Why don't you go cheer for another team and stop bringing your dumbass football IQ here.

Good point. I seem to forget that there can be such stimulating conversation on this board. Thank you for your input, I truly appreciate it but it had nothing whatsoever to do with my question.

You sound like you already bought a Clausen jersey and don't want to think about anything except him being the next Peyton Manning. Don't forget guys, Delhomme wasn't drafted and was a good QB at times of his career, Kurt Warner too. Diamonds are often found in the rough.

Back to the question at hand please.

Archived