• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

As long as Fox is here, Kemoeatu shouldn't be

Fiz

Kemo fills the role that Brinson Buckner did. Problem is a lack of the everydown DT.

Fiz is wrong in this post.

buckner could collapse the pocket, was a vocal leader on the field, and was able to pick up snap counts and was generally one of the most intelligent defensive linemen in the league. he also brought with him a toughness he learned in pittsburgh that resonated throughout the entire front seven.

tell me again how kemo fills these roles.

You can disagree with his feeling toward Kemo, but he has a great point in terms of how he is used. Kemo has not/is not/never will be useful in rushing the passer. It could be argued that he holds a pass rush back, due to his immobility. Ever since he's been here, our pass rush has been stinky. I'm not attacking him personally, just an observation. It hardly can be disputed.

I think you misunderstood. My suggestion was to go back to rotating Kemo and Lewis (Kemo on 1st and 2nd, Lewis on 3rd) and get an every down DT for the other side.

buckner could collapse the pocket, was a vocal leader on the field, and was able to pick up snap counts and was generally one of the most intelligent defensive linemen in the league. he also brought with him a toughness he learned in pittsburgh that resonated throughout the entire front seven.

tell me again how kemo fills these roles.

Buck was in the later of his career when he came here, IMO. He did not colapse pockets and generally took up space. He was a decent leader and fairly smart. Kemo is better against the run and freeing up our LB'ers which is what he was paid for. Everydown DT is missing, not the Runstuffer.

I don't really see Buckner and Kemo as all that comparable.

One thing about Buckner: he was great at spotting tendencies on opposing offenses. His insight into Quincy carter's pre-snap movements was a huge reason for the 03 playoff victory over Dallas.

Fair enough

He was also an expert on Monkeys and Hotpeppers going into Anuses

Once ref's started calling Buckner for defensive holding, he became a liability in the run game.

We need another pass rushing DT for rotation, but Kemo is and will be a valuable member of this team.

I think we've got a pass rushing DT. We're just using him as an every down DT.

Actually, that is not true at all. Sure Kemo is not a pass rusher, but he does take up space and blockers which allows other players to get pressure. The problem is not Kemo, but who is around him. Lewis is fine as a situational pass rusher, but he is not consistent enough to be the starter...and he wears down the longer he is on the field.

And this year, we really didn't have any other interior pass rushers than Lewis, which is one reason we had to play Brayton and Johnson inside occasionally. For the two or three years before that, we had an aging Rucker out there even though he struggled to get any kind of pressure. After his injuries, Jenkins was far from the disruptive force he was prior, and really didn't generate much pressure either. Of course, we all know Peppers problems last season.

So, to lay the pass rush issues at Kemo's door is not only unfair, but is also inaccurate. Oh, and did you realize that last year (07) Kemo led the team in TFL? So obviously, he does get some penetration, despite pass rushing not being his role here.

I'm personally not blaming Kemo. But it is true, that our pass-rush has been stinky since he has been a Panther. I'm not suggesting it is his fault. It is what it is. And I agree with you in terms of those who surround him. You may or may not be aware, but I am also the one who was tooting the "trade up and take a tackle" horn in the '08 draft. So this is not an anti-Kemo post, nor was my last one. I simply supported the idea, from another poster, that Kemo was brought in for run-support. And he is not much of a factor in the pass-rush. Fact is, he has ZERO sacks as a Panther.

I'm not suggesting it is his fault.

That's what I was reading into what you were saying, so thanks for clarifying. I don't think we disagree as much as I first thought. I just believe the problem goes beyond Kemo, and feel that blaming him for the lack of pass rush is not appropriate since that is not his role here.

Archived