• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

As long as Fox is here, Kemoeatu shouldn't be

Fiz

Like has been gone over ad nauseum, Fox's system relies heavily on creating pressure without blitzing using only the front four.

Kemoeatu does one thing very well; he stands his place. He is able to take two blockers and just hold up the line. Against the run, this is very useful. To everyone who would go nuts by pointing to the giants and saints games as reasons we need him, I'd simply mention that against the Giants we didn't start getting gashed until Lewis went out, and our inability to stop any of the Saints 11 running attempts had nothing to do with Brees going Video Game Mode on us.

It is as difficult for Kemoeatu to penetrate against one person as it is for two people to push him back. If the defense wants to pass, all they have to do is keep a RB out there to keep them honest, make sure Damione is accounted for, then know that there won't be any pressure at all coming up the middle.

In short, in a system predicated on the front four getting to the QB, one of our starting four cannot at all get to the QB.

Fire trgo fire fox burn the stadium etc

Fox also likes to stop the run, which is what Kemo is good at. Agreed that he is terrible at rushing the passer, but he is very effective against the run. I agree with Scot here, we should keep Kemo in on 1st and 2nd down, bring in Lewis on 3rd and obvious passing downs, and get Haynesworth as the other DT.

Disagree. I like Kemo.

Only change I would make would be to go back to rotating Kemo and Lewis at one Dt and get an every down tackle for the other side.

You can disagree with his feeling toward Kemo, but he has a great point in terms of how he is used. Kemo has not/is not/never will be useful in rushing the passer. It could be argued that he holds a pass rush back, due to his immobility. Ever since he's been here, our pass rush has been stinky. I'm not attacking him personally, just an observation. It hardly can be disputed.

You can disagree with his feeling toward Kemo, but he has a great point in terms of how he is used. Kemo has not/is not/never will be useful in rushing the passer. It could be argued that he holds a pass rush back, due to his immobility. Ever since he's been here, our pass rush has been stinky. I'm not attacking him personally, just an observation. It hardly can be disputed.

Actually, that is not true at all. Sure Kemo is not a pass rusher, but he does take up space and blockers which allows other players to get pressure. The problem is not Kemo, but who is around him. Lewis is fine as a situational pass rusher, but he is not consistent enough to be the starter...and he wears down the longer he is on the field.

And this year, we really didn't have any other interior pass rushers than Lewis, which is one reason we had to play Brayton and Johnson inside occasionally. For the two or three years before that, we had an aging Rucker out there even though he struggled to get any kind of pressure. After his injuries, Jenkins was far from the disruptive force he was prior, and really didn't generate much pressure either. Of course, we all know Peppers problems last season.

So, to lay the pass rush issues at Kemo's door is not only unfair, but is also inaccurate. Oh, and did you realize that last year (07) Kemo led the team in TFL? So obviously, he does get some penetration, despite pass rushing not being his role here.

Archived