• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers wants out.

capfolly

Given that a team has to give two first rounders for Pep I'm thinking there's a good chance we don't get a damn thing for him - he just walks.

We are NOT going to franchise him and make him play for a year - that would be bad for both parties. It would cost us $17M and he wouldn't want to play.

The only choice the team has is to franchise him - that's it. They cannot let him walk without getting anything for him and can't trade him without franchising him first because he becomes an unrestricted free agent next month and can go anywhere he wants. The Panthers have no recourse but to franchise him and hope someone out there wants to deal...

All I have to say is......BYE!!!!

Let him go and use the money to beef up the DB's. Harris and Beason are obviously the leaders of this defense. I am sure I will catch some flack over this but, Brayton had a better overall year than Peppers. Other than his 14 sacks, all he has done for the team is created a good merchandising outlet for his jersey sales.

I just wish we could've traded him for a high draft pick!!!!!:nopity:

Where is that being reported?

My point was guys posting above that post thought we would get nothing for Pep because a Franchise tag means 2 mandatory Number 1s in compensation. It doesn't if we go "exclusive" rather than "Non exclusive".

Again:

There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

• An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.
  • A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

All I have to say is......BYE!!!!

Let him go and use the money to beef up the DB's. Harris and Beason are obviously the leaders of this defense. I am sure I will catch some flack over this but, Brayton had a better overall year than Peppers. Other than his 14 sacks, all he has done for the team is created a good merchandising outlet for his jersey sales.

I just wish we could've traded him for a high draft pick!!!!!:no pity:

Did you really just type that? Nobody is afraid of your DEf. if Brayton is your best pass rusher. He only made plays when teams slide protection too Pep. He was never double teamed or chipped. He made plays on the rare occasion when he beat a 1-1 block.

I don't think any team will give 2 1st round draft picks for Peppers. He will be an exclusive franchise player. He is not that dominant of a player he is usually held and kept in check except for a few games against teams we could beat without him anyway. (Oakland 08 for example). Peppers needs strong leaders to play with and I don't think he wants the pressure of being the leader in Carolina. Peppers always had leadership on this team with guys like Rucker, Minter, and Morgan. Also Peppers talent could be more effective if we had a dominant pass rusher (team can't double team everyone). Carolina does not have that. So Peppers talent is kept in check by the lack of support on the defensive line.

We need to get something out of him though. But I just dont know what we could get. 2 1st round picks would be amazing but that will not happen and we will pay 17 mil to keep a guy who doesn't want to be here --No way. Folks Peppers walks!!!

Did you really just type that? Nobody is afraid of your DEf. if Brayton is your best pass rusher. He only made plays when teams slide protection too Pep. He was never double teamed or chipped. He made plays on the rare occasion when he beat a 1-1 block.

....ahhhh is any team afraid of the Panthers defense?

...if so, which team?

You have probably just hit the nail on the head.

My point was guys posting above that post thought we would get nothing for Pep because a Franchise tag means 2 mandatory Number 1s in compensation. It doesn't if we go "exclusive" rather than "Non exclusive".

I understand how it works, but you when you stated that "we put an exclusive tag on him", I believed that he had already been tagged, according to your sources. Otherwise, I'm with ya!

"But Carey said there’s a specific desire to play in a 3-4 system, where he could stand up as an outside linebacker and roam the field making plays, like a DeMarcus Ware or a Shawne Merriman."

-Darin Gantt

This why if Trgovac isn't gone by Tuesday, you can bet Fox will be at the end of next season..

Pep has proven me right time and time again.

I've said all of this since the season ended, even before he spoke. I knew he didn't want to be here. I suspected he wanted to play in a 3-4. And I felt that he had given up and his heart wasn't anymore for the last two years... Now all of what I predicted or had suspected is coming out. Amazing.

And if Pep goes because he doesn't believe in Fox anymore... Fox and his entire staff should be fired. Letting the huge loss to the Cardinals on national TV coming in completely unprepared was enough, but causing our best defensive player to give up and lose hope in our entire franchise b/c of the coaching staff itself is unacceptable. I want him gone.

Pep has proven me right time and time again.

I've said all of this since the season ended, even before he spoke. I knew he didn't want to be here. I suspected he wanted to play in a 3-4. And I felt that he had given up and his heart wasn't anymore for the last two years... Now all of what I predicted or had suspected is coming out. Amazing.

And if Pep goes because he doesn't believe in Fox anymore... Fox and his entire staff should be fired. Letting the huge loss to the Cardinals on national TV coming in completely unprepared was enough, but causing our best defensive player to give up and lose hope in our entire franchise b/c of the coaching staff itself is unacceptable. I want him gone.

we've been talking about this since the announcement came out pep wanted out. Heck since his comments after the game. We've also said fox needs to go since the game as well. All this does is justify us letting go of fox. Your HC has to have the whole team behind them. Time for fox to go.

Dream on because there is no way you get 2 first rounders for him. The Panthers won't even get a first and a second for him. This thread has the potential to run for a lot of days.

lol you can dream on about us just trading him for chit. That's not going to happen.

Archived