• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Time To Interview Cowher?

aussiepanthersfan

Having the Browns and Bengals your division doesn't hurt either.

The NFC South of today is a bit tougher division than most of the ones Cowher faced. There aren't really any pushovers.

(unless, of course, you count us in that category) :(

The sum of the Browns and Bengals record during the Cowher years in Pittsburgh are in direct corolation to them having their asses kicked every year by the Steelers. Cowher and the Steelers had a winning record 11 of his 15 years in Steel Town. Of course other teams in his division will suffer. Don't see how one could skew that as a criticism of a coach. I thought success was a good thing.

Sadly, we are pushovers in the NFC South during Fox's time here.

Times NFC South teams have had a winning record since 2002?

Atlanta Falcons: 4

New Orleans Saints: 3

Tampa bay Buccaneers: 4

And our John Fox lead Panthers? 3

Not worried about switching to a 3-4.

Not worried about cowher at all.

Richardson will never allow his team to be controlled by 1 person again.

Debate things all ya want, but he isn't the fit for a jerry richardson team.

that's the biggest negative against cowher in that he would want full control over every football decision(much like seifert).JR decided after that to have a gm & coach oversee the football operations to offset to much power for one person

John Fox is a good coach...if he leaves, it will be because HE wants to...he is grossly underappreciated... I haven't always felt this way, but I've cooled down, stayed away from the huddle awhile and gained a little perspective. While it may be true that his tenure with the Panthers is over, I promise you this: he will be in HIGH demand as a HC, and he will be successful wherever he goes!

Sorry,didn't know my fly was open.Dude we don't spend money on players,why do you think we would on a coach?I wouldn't want him anyways!!!The Steelers have been the same over and over because of Dick LeBeau.I think Tomlinson has won as many titles as Cowher!!
LOL Sad thing is Tomlinson won on the talent Bill Cowher left behind for him. All Tomlinson did is took over the reighs. Bill cowher has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can build a winning and win. If Bill does become HC of the Panthers. Will he win right off the bat?? Don't know. Depends on alot of things. But again the thing is Tomlinson won his SB off a Team Bill Cowher built up with all that talent before he retired. So until Tomlinson can prove he can build a team and win. Don't even compare him with Bill cowher.:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

if rich isn't willing to pay foxy, what makes everything think he's willing to lay dough down for cowher? my feeling is the next coach will be a young, intense defensive guy. I'm on the leslie frazier train myself.
the reason he won't be paying fox isn't because he's cheap. fox is getting among the top pays for any coach.

the reason he won't be paying fox what fox is supposedly worth is because he isn't worth it. he just simply isn't earning his keep and doesn't deserve a raise that one getting an extension would most likely get.

jerry will pay for who he thinks is the right guy. aside from this year he and really hurney have never been shy about spending the money.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for a new head coach keeping much of the current staff intact, if any.

Generally speaking, the only coaches who get to stay on staff when a new coach comes in are well-established guys (Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh, for example) or young rising guys that are "hot commodities" in league circles. We don't really have anyone that fits either of those categories right now (Meeks, Baker, Chryst and Magazu might be close, but not quite).

Sometimes a new coach keeps a guy or two (Fox kept a few when he came here) but most like to bring in their own guys, especially the established ones like Cowher or Gruden. The existing guys have a better shot of hanging around with a first timer.

What about Mike Rucker as Dline coach?? :D

the reason he won't be paying fox isn't because he's cheap. fox is getting among the top pays for any coach.

the reason he won't be paying fox what fox is supposedly worth is because he isn't worth it. he just simply isn't earning his keep and doesn't deserve a raise that one getting an extension would most likely get.

jerry will pay for who he thinks is the right guy. aside from this year he and really hurney have never been shy about spending the money.

Amen.

So far, I can find no link verifying that ESPN reported such a thing about Cowher. But IF that were true, it would be readily apparent that the 'Cats have already come to some sort of an agreement with him to coach. I can't see JR letting Fox go in the middle of the season, and I would imagine such a move might impact the reception a new coach did receive in the locker room. Coaches and players tend to be in these things together. Let the season play out. The performance after the bye will be most telling.

Cowher didn't build the steelers by himself alot of the credit goes to tom donahoe who was the gm during most of cowher's tenure. the reason tomlin is so successful is that the steelers have a philsophy that they follow no matter who the coach or gm is. they draft the players who that fit what they do, that's why you see very little drop off from them

Archived