• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Time To Interview Cowher?

aussiepanthersfan

We will not have a new coach midseason for the same reason we didn't fire or extend Fox going into this year... the CBA.

I realize you have to take this with a grain of salt... and things change, but I heard Cowher was not interested in coaching anytime soon (which may be his way of saying "no thanks" to the jobs that look like they will be opening up, including ours).

My personal pick for our next HC would be Greg Williams, but I don't see it happening because I don't see his personality as a fit for JR.

If we end up with a big-name coach I think Dungy would be the most likely candidate... we wanted him before we hired Fox and now he's proven he can lead a team to the promised land. You can give Manning allot of credit for what he did in Indy, but he also totally rebuilt the Bucs and laid the foundation for the team Gruden won the SB with.

I just find it interesting that Cowher wanted to Coach in 2010, but when he found out that John Fox was coaching the 2010 season, but not having a contract extension, he decided to stay out of football one more year. And him wanting to be close to his daughters after his wifes death. I just think Cowher is holding out until John Fox leaves and then we pick him up.

We will not have a new coach midseason for the same reason we didn't fire or extend Fox going into this year... the CBA.

I realize you have to take this with a grain of salt... and things change, but I heard Cowher was not interested in coaching anytime soon (which may be his way of saying "no thanks" to the jobs that look like they will be opening up, including ours).

My personal pick for our next HC would be Greg Williams, but I don't see it happening because I don't see his personality as a fit for JR.

If we end up with a big-name coach I think Dungy would be the most likely candidate... we wanted him before we hired Fox and now he's proven he can lead a team to the promised land. You can give Manning allot of credit for what he did in Indy, but he also totally rebuilt the Bucs and laid the foundation for the team Gruden won the SB with.

Oh and Dungy makes even more sense with Meeks already in position as the DC.

It's kind of a dream scenario for Dungy when you think about it. The defense has already been built the way he likes it and we have a young team with lots of potential and lots of cap space to fill in the blanks.

Regardless of who the HC is, I think (hope) Davidson is as good as gone.

don't know about you, but if my wife died (God forbid) i would want to keep myself active doing anything possible, just to keep my sanity.

True, but he has daughters that need his support and attention right now. Things may change in a few years when his daughters are married off, etc.

their philosophies are similar but it stops there. their coaching styles are completely different.

I wouldn't be opposed to having Bill Cowher.

I'd love to have a fiery coach who builds tough football teams, and Cowher fits that billing.

However, this team could really use someone who could come in and have a way to make some good use of all the offensive weapons we have, and I don't know if Cowher can do that.

If you wanted to boot Davidson and bring in Cowher and someone else in almost complete control of the offense, then I definetly wouldn't be opposed..

I wouldn't be opposed to having Bill Cowher.

I'd love to have a fiery coach who builds tough football teams, and Cowher fits that billing.

However, this team could really use someone who could come in and have a way to make some good use of all the offensive weapons we have, and I don't know if Cowher can do that.

If you wanted to boot Davidson and bring in Cowher and someone else in almost complete control of the offense, then I definetly wouldn't be opposed..

Cowher doesn't get enough credit for it but he did build nice offenses and use his tools.

10 of his 15 years his offense was in the top 15 in points.

Only once was he ever ranked in the 20s for points scored. So 14 of 15 years he was withing the top 19. 10 of 15 years in the top 15 for yards.

In retrospect, John Fox has had a top 15 offense 4 times. Top 15 in yards just twice.

Personally, I believe Cowher is already the coach in waiting. It doesn't make any sense to make a coaching change mid-season. Cowher made it known he was available last year to coach and he didn't take any of the offers. He lives in NC, and with the passing of his wife, heavy burden that no doubt is for him, he is now free to focus on the job of coaching. The Panthers are the absolute best fit for him. He sure as heck won't have a Jerry Jones or Al Davis breathing down his neck here.

I will be flat out stunned if Cowher is not named HC immediately after the regular season concludes (or the playoffs if we should somehow get into them. What are the odds of that?). Of course, the CBA could effect things, but the coach is still going to have to put together a team at some point, be they replacements or to deal with the aftermath of a strike season if no games are played! If nothing else, Cowher WILL bring some sorely missing attitude to this team. He'll introduce the occasional wrinkle on special teams. He's no miracle worker, but he is successful.

Archived