• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Time To Interview Cowher?

aussiepanthersfan

I can tell you guys for a fact that, if Cowher is our next head coach, Jon Beason and Thomas Davis will not have a spot on our team. They do not fit the 3-4 scheme. You guy's better be careful what you wish for. Those are 2 players on defense that don't fit.. Hardly anyone from our current Dline would fit. Say bye-bye to Greg Hardy.

Everrette Brown (might) fit at OLB in the 3-4. Dan Connor would definitely fit at MLB in the 3-4, we might even be able to put James Anderson at MLB.

Why Do Beason & Davis not fit the 3-4 scheme ?

Beason 6'0 237 Timmons 6'1" 234

Connor 6'2" 231 Farrior 6'2" 243

Davis 6' 0" 240 Harrison 6'0" 242

Size wise they look awful close to 3 0f the Steelers starting LB's

Hardy 6'4" 277

Noorwood 6'1" 241 Woodley 6'2" 265

The problem is a true NT and DE

One would almost think drafting Hardy & Norwood was for a 3-4 defense in the future

I can tell you guys for a fact that, if Cowher is our next head coach, Jon Beason and Thomas Davis will not have a spot on our team. They do not fit the 3-4 scheme. You guy's better be careful what you wish for. Those are 2 players on defense that don't fit.. Hardly anyone from our current Dline would fit. Say bye-bye to Greg Hardy.

Everrette Brown (might) fit at OLB in the 3-4. Dan Connor would definitely fit at MLB in the 3-4, we might even be able to put James Anderson at MLB.

Cowher is a good enough coach to use whatever talent he has around him, and put them in positions to succeed. Hell, I know that Dick LeBeau has a strong attachment to Cowher and he may jump ship, leave Pitt and come here to join him if Cowher is indeed the next coach.

Why Do Beason & Davis not fit the 3-4 scheme ?

Beason 6'0 237 Timmons 6'1" 234

Connor 6'2" 231 Farrior 6'2" 243

Davis 6' 0" 240 Harrison 6'0" 242

Size wise they look awful close to 3 0f the Steelers starting LB's

Hardy 6'4" 277

Noorwood 6'1" 241 Woodley 6'2" 265

The problem is a true NT and DE

One would almost think drafting Hardy & Norwood was for a 3-4 defense in the future

Harrison is an OLB and is strong as an ox. Davis is more of a speed/coverage LB, not a strong LB (same with Beason). Who knows maybe Beason will be able to convert to the 3-4.. I thought Beason was only 5'11" for some reason. Davis won't be back coming off 2 ACL tears. Norwood will be an absolute beast OLB in the 34. Greg Hardy is not a 34 OLb because he can not play coverage. He is about the same size as D Ware, but he can't cover like Ware can. Hardy might be able to rush the passer out of the 34 OLB but coverage is equally as important.

It's not as simple as looking at "size" of the player to determine whether or not they can play a position.

NT will be by far our biggest hole in switching to the 34. Kemo would have fit but obviously he is gone. Would have been nice to draft Terrence Cody...

Bill Cowher is the same coach as John Fox.

I don't understand the hype train for him.

Maybe similar styles but not the same. Cowher had 10 Winning Seasons in his 15yrs coaching. He had a stretch of 6 winning seasons in a row, 3 in row, and 2 in row. John Fox doesnt even come close to that kind of consistency.

Cowher's record: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/CowhBi0.htm

Fox's record: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/FoxxJo0.htm

I am not saying Cowher is the answer BUT it is and has been time to move past the John Fox era here in Charlotte. I would take Cowher anyday right now over Fox. I think one of the only reason why he is not here this season is because JR didnt want to have pay a coach during a lockout.

Bill Cowher is the same coach as John Fox.

I don't understand the hype train for him.

He is a coach that has "it". Like I pointed out earlier... Fox would have to win 6 division titles in the next 6 years to match Cowher, as well as win on average 13 games a season for the next 6 years. Cowher has succeeded in hiring his own personnel, drafting his own players, and being a hybrid coach/gm. Ownership in Pitt always respected his input on all topics. If Fox could do all that then I would agree they are the same coach.

Any coach is only as good as his support system

Owner

G M

Scouts

Assistant Coache's

Steelers have a rich tradition

But yet they don't go over board on $$$ or F/A

J R seems to want to be like Steelers and Pats

But's missing something in his equation

Any coach is only as good as his support system

Owner

G M

Scouts

Assistant Coache's

Steelers have a rich tradition

But yet they don't go over board on $$$ or F/A

J R seems to want to be like Steelers and Pats

But's missing something in his equation

Having the Browns and Bengals your division doesn't hurt either.

The NFC South of today is a bit tougher division than most of the ones Cowher faced. There aren't really any pushovers.

(unless, of course, you count us in that category) :(

Archived