• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Did Armanti raise his stock tonite as part of the 53?

Hairless Cat

Yeah, I think we all knew that and that's how we wanted to see him used... But, to be honest, when he caught that punt I didn't even know that was him b/c he caught it so clean... He looked a lot more natural and elusive tonight in every aspect.

:iagree:

He didn't look too shabby throwing out of the Wildcat formation, but the running aspect of the formation needs work. I also agree w/another poster that said they should change the "Mountaineer" name.Pretty lame IMO.

Norwood, Hardy & Gettis are currently playing the same position they played in college. AE is not. Fox/Hurney are aware of this & this is why they called him a "project" after being interviewed over the Summer & after the 1st 2 pre-season games. He had a good KR & PR last night, showed he can play the wildcat well & has made some great receptions this pre-season. Best fact is he hasn't played anything but QB in the past 4 years. I'm not b*tching about him, i'm just trying to convince you he's going to be a great tool for this year & especially next year.

Some players catch on faster than others e.g. Jordan Pugh. Armanti showed some promise last night. He looked more comfortable and not as tentative as he did the last game he playerd. While I'm still not pleased it costs us next year's 2nd rounder, I do think with time Armanti will understand how to play at this level and be eventually be a good player for us.

He didn't look too shabby throwing out of the Wildcat formation, but the running aspect of the formation needs work. I also agree w/another poster that said they should change the "Mountaineer" name.Pretty lame IMO.

would tarhole or wufpacker or clempsum or cock package sound better to you?

Put AE with 1's and see what he can do rather than running behind the 3&4s.

His arm is good as any on the team.

There are a few 1 receivers that can't seem to hang onto passes like AE, what's their problem?

Pretty hard to make a play when you have 6 people in the backfield. The 2nd string and beyond offensive lines have been terrible at best all preseason. I think with some actual blockers more would have come out of those plays.

Here's my (trying to be) impartial feelings:

He looked better/more comfortable returning kicks. A good sign since it's his first chance since the 2 turnover game.

He looks good getting separation at WR, of course blocking is not going to be his strong suite.

Nice option to have as a Wildcat/Mountaineer QB, as opposed to others that are no danger to throw. If nothing else, run it a time or two a game just to give opposing DC's something to gameplan for.

My Mountaineer Homerness creeping in assessment:

AE should get 5 snaps or so per game in the Mountaineer (not freaking wildcat) formation, and should be throwing on at least two of those. He'll do fine running against the first team o-line than that patchwork ensemble last night.

He'll contribute at WR in the slot and continue to make strides as a PR. Wouldn't surprise me at all to take one to the house at some point this season.

App State wet dream:

AE throws, receives, and returns for a TD in a game.

Norwood, Hardy & Gettis are currently playing the same position they played in college. AE is not. Fox/Hurney are aware of this & this is why they called him a "project" after being interviewed over the Summer & after the 1st 2 pre-season games. He had a good KR & PR last night, showed he can play the wildcat well & has made some great receptions this pre-season. Best fact is he hasn't played anything but QB in the past 4 years. I'm not b*tching about him, i'm just trying to convince you he's going to be a great tool for this year & especially next year.

I don't know the guy personally and he may already be a "great tool"... jus' sayin'

My point is nothing beyond the fact the team burned a second round pick on a project and it almost looks as though the Panthers are reaching to find a home for him and his average skill set.

I don't think they are trying to justify his draft position with this. I believe they are looking for ways to use his athletic ability in the short-term. As a WR and PR, he is going to take time.

I do believe he makes the squad because of his draft position. Based on teh production that I have seen, I think he would be in severe jeopardy of making the team if he were taken in the latter rounds. Not saying he would not make it, but he would not be a lock.

Absolutely! That was my original intent- to simply point out that he will make the team based more upon his draft position than on his skill set.

I do quite understand that, I simply stated it in such a manner as to be easily misinterpreted. However, my point is not the draft # as much as it is simply stated...

* he's a 4th rounder the Panthers are now trying to justify by putting him somewhere trying to find a place for him.

* Hardy, Gettis and Norwood are later round picks who are playing their position better than Edwards has played any position, which proves the Panthers blew the pick.

I don't care if he is working his butt off because I don't watch practice everyday, I'm not in the film room so I can't make that definitive statement. The fact of the matter is he's a project and I don't see spending a high draft pick on a project.

First, congrats to Hurney on the Norwood, Hardy, and Gettis picks, thats what you should first say instead of sounding like a spoiled punk.

Second, its his first 4 NFL games, I threw poo around my room and broke poo when I saw the Panthers get Edwards during the draft... in the 3rd round... for a 2nd round pick... But hey, I look at Hurney's track record, and other than Sheldon Brown and two shitty WR's out of USC who all combined for more than 50 touchdowns in their collegiate career's he has made some outstanding picks.

So I look at it like this, I will give Armanti Edwards 3 season of development into an NFL receiver and after seeing his ascension in play only over the course of 4 games (i mean how good he played vs. the Steelers) I'm pretty excited to see AE in 2013 or 2014, when we are spending that massive amount of salary cap we don't have right now to make a dynasty.

AE actually looked pretty good blocking. I was laughing my a** off watching him block guys way bigger than him somewhat effectively. He needs to put on weight that is obvious. Not unlike Dwill had to put on weight after his rookie year to be more effective. Who also took a few years to develop btw. Also when D ran the wildcat we named the package after his alma mater.

okay, in the interest of full disclosure, i lived in boone for the past five years meaning i've seen armanti around town. he's a tiny man, he's significantly smaller than me and i'm 6'0 240. if you only knew about what happened after michigan you would be missing the fact that during his freshman year and in small glimpses thereafter he was frustrating. he had some fumbles that were just ridiculous. the talent was there. he was obviously a man amongst boys to begin with but he had to grow into his talents somewhat. he is defintely talented enough to play at this level. he destroyed two nfl starters in head to head meetings (flacco and henne). after seeing the national championship game between delaware and app state there was no doubt after the game who the better quarterback was.

that being said, can he be a wide receiver? i don't know. he's looked promising at times and lost at times too (shades of his freshman year). i'm obviously biased because i've seen 98% of his games over the last 4 years. it also allowed me to achieve my dream of seeing my favorite college player of all time on my favorite nfl team. so obviously, i'm partial to armanti. i am going to be an apologist. i can't help it. but i've believed since joe flacco was drafted in the first round that if he could become an nfl success armanti's success was practically preordained.

maybe he won't play from the beginning but if history is any guide, he will insert himself and his talents very soon.

Archived