• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Preseason 2010 vs history

d34

I don't know, there is a lot of talk about vanilla playbooks, but let's face it, our offense for the last two games really looks like they are phoning it in. Sloppy, flabby, uninspired, and generally pathetic.

I'm beginning to think we may have a problem at OC position. Win or lose, Dan Henning had the offense looking like it was interested in actually playing the game by the first pre-season game. The last two years, however, makes it look like Davidson isn't into fine tuning mode yet and more of the '68 Camaro-clunker-under-the-tarp-in-the-driveway mode still.

What has he been doing this summer? Cutting early to be first to the chow line in the cafeteria?

And special teams? Don't get me started. If we look past Armanti Edwards' shortcomings, I'm not seeing much of a light beyond the three kickers. Coverage and protection were horrible, across the board. Blech. Pre-season scrubs or not, the other team had theirs out there, too and we looked like a Pop Warner squad.

Defense, well, either we're pretty good there, or the Jets better quit talking Super Bowl soon.

In 2008 under Davidson we had our most prolific offense since Buerlein in 1999. And last year Jake killed the first half of the year. Under Moore we had the highest scoring differential between what we gave up and what we scored in the league.

Lets see what happens when the real bullets fly. After al how did people think we would replace all the veterans and not start off slow this year. It isn't davidson, it is all the new and inexperienced faces.

What did people expect? That we would replace 9 starters and not take time to develop chemistry. Our defense is actually way ahead of where I thought we would be and we really shut the Jets down last night. Why focus totally on the negative. Remember that Smitty alone cause double teams and safeties to play deep instead of in the box. The running game didn't even get cranked up last night. Plus remember that a lot of the 8 and 9 in the box were with little respect for the passing game especially in the second half with Clausen in and no deep game.

Pretty much agree. I'm very pleasantly surprised that our defense is looking so good. I really didn't think we'd be able to pressure the QB at all this year, but so far we're doing pretty good. I think we are blitzing a little bit more than we have in the past, but we have to make up for the loss of Peppers some way.

I still don't expect us to make the playoffs, but if our offense can gel at some point it certainly isn't out of the question.

BTW...I couldn't care less what our preseason record is, it means absolutely nothing.

The concerns I have now are:

-Matt Moore not recognizing blitz's

-Still no legitimate threat at #2 receiver

-special teams

This would be a great point if...

2008- We look good in preseason, training camp, fanfest...good season

2009- We look awful in preseason, training camp, fanfest...bad season

2010- We look awful in preseason, training camp, fanfest...???

The 2009 season and free agency philosophy pretty much ruins your point sadly...

Two years is hardly a represetative sample. Lets at least see what happens this year to determine if this is a trend.

Since John Fox has been the HC, here are our Preseason versus Regular Season results.

Preseason W - 0 - L - 4

Regular Season W - 8 - L - 8

Preseason W - 2 - L - 2

Regular Season W - 12 - L - 4 - Lost Division P. Off game

Preseason W - 2 - L - 2

Regular Season W - 7 - L - 9

Preseason W - 4 - L - 0

Regular Season W - 8 - L - 8

Preseason W - 2 - L - 2

Regular Season W - 11 - L - 5 - Lost NFC Champ. game

Preseason W - 4 - L - 0

Regular Season W - 7 - L - 9 (Smitty got hurt on week 1)

Preseason W - 3 - L - 1

Regular Season W - 11 - L - 5 - Lost Superbowl

Preseason W - 2 - L - 2

Regular Season W - 7 - L - 9

I threw that Smitty comment on 2004, because it had a dramatic impact on our games for the rest of the year.

And I think that's the most tell-tale sign here. As long as Smith is on the field and making an impact, we're good to go. Teams have figured that out, and once Smith was covered up all year last year, Delhomme fell apart.

In the past 7 almost 8 years, we've never been able to produce a true 2nd receiver. And this is where we're at today. When Smith retires, we're sunk unless our Front Office starts drafting or trading smart at the WR position.

But now Moore is the QB and isn't as hesitant to throw it to the other receivers.

Actually, I believe Moore was simply able to give Steve a shot at catching it, where Delhomme couldn't.

Last year, Steve Smith had 982 Receiving Yards. 157 of those was in ONE game. Minnisota to be exact. With Moore under center.

The next receiver was Muhsin Muhammad with 581 yards. Little more than half of Steve's.

Yeah, Moore spreads it around better than Delhomme did... but if he's throwing balls at receivers who just drop his passes, we'll never win games. If something (knock on wood) happens to Smith, Moore is going to look like a chump out there this year (like he has during preseason so far).

Yeah, Moore spreads it around better than Delhomme did... but if he's throwing balls at receivers who just drop his passes, we'll never win games. If something (knock on wood) happens to Smith, Moore is going to look like a chump out there this year (like he has during preseason so far).

The TE's looked pretty good at the end of the season too.

Archived