• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Somebody smarter than me

Moonshine

Which is almost all of you.....

Help me figure out how much cap space is available if we don't resign Peppers and release Lucus. I know that we don't have a clue what Peps proposed contract would look like but I think we can all assume that it would have to be a top 5 at his position kind of deal. I don't think he would stay here for less.

teams that want to stay competitive do not resign guys in their late 20's for record breaking deals....

Not advocating such. I simply want to know..... if we don't have to pay those two guys, how much money will we have to go out and replace them? Lucus will have some sort of cap hit for the remainder of his contract and Pep will free up what we would have paid him. So in eqaution form it would be something like this.

Avail$ = Pep$ + (Luc$ - SalryCap BS)

Not advocating such. I simply want to know..... if we don't have to pay those two guys, how much money will we have to go out and replace them? Lucus will have some sort of cap hit for the remainder of his contract and Pep will free up what we would have paid him. So in eqaution form it would be something like this.

Avail$ = Pep$ + (Luc$ - SalryCap BS)

with the cap going up and what Peppers and Gross were already making this year, if the FO wanted to sign them then they easily could without making drastic changes

If Peppers already turned down Freeny money as rumored, then we should let him walk. He isn't worth 100 million at his age, plus we apparently are going to need to chase a CB in FA. I hear Haynesworth is available as well and I read last week he listed Carolina as one of the places he would like to play, although he might demand the same amount as Peppers, but who knows.

They could also franchise Pep and then trade him to a bad team for a decent first round pick (which we need this year) and use the pick to draft a DE. Cut Lucus and use the cap space (from trading Pep and cutting Lucus) to go sign a free agent DB and a safety. All the while having enough to resign Gross and keep some continuity on the O-line which was the best we've had in years.

Just thinkin' out loud...

I have a question. Does anyone know the rules on swapping franchised players? Just throwing this out there, but let's say NE franchises Cassel and Panthers franchise Peppers. Can you do a straight swap on franchised players or do draft picks still have to change hands? Just thinking out loud as well..

I have a question. Does anyone know the rules on swapping franchised players? Just throwing this out there, but let's say NE franchises Cassel and Panthers franchise Peppers. Can you do a straight swap on franchised players or do draft picks still have to change hands? Just thinking out loud as well..

Cassel was franchised because Brady isn't recovering as fast as they had hoped. Cassel is worth more to the Pats then Peppers would be at the moment.

Archived