• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

why was gamble not on fitzgerald?

stopncrank

anyone have thoughts on the sceme for the defense against the cards. gamble is easily our best corner, why not put him on l.f. ? everyone on here is bashing jake to no end, but i have more of a problem with what the defense didn't do. was this john fox's call or turgo's? fitzgerald is quoted in our local paper as saying "carolina really doesn't change it's schemes". for a defense that is supposedly so complex, it sounds to me like arizona knew what was coming at them before it got there. why not double team fitzgerald and try to get somebody else to beat you? they dropped back into zone so many times i lost count. anybody else see this or was it just me? does turgo even adjust? who knows, i'm no expert but how long are the powers that be gonna allow underacheiving on defense? with the talen on this team they should easily be a top 3 defense. sorry for the rant, please take it easy on me i'm a newbie. i just think that for all the jake bashing thats going on here, the qb situation is not as big a problem as our d giving up 30 ppg the last 3-or 4 games. your thoughts?

Because John Fox doesn't like to let the offense dictate what we do, he just likes to sit back and get owned.

He broke this tendency one time a few years ago by putting Lucas on Fitzgerald in the second half and Lucas shadowed him, and pretty much shut him down. Apparently he forgot.

I don't know if this was the case but lots of times teams will put there best corner one on one with the #2 reciever and roll double coverage to the #1 reciever. Fitz reminds me of Smith. There were 2 guys near him when he made those catches. He just beat double coverage. 30 points really isn't that bad considering the 6 turnovers gave them 6 more possessions. Arizona averages 24 points on the road.

I'm wondering why the still have Lucas as the 2nd CB. He really got tourched the last month, maybe he's tired from age, but JC. I think Marshall is better than Lucas at this point, although Marshall had a ridiculouslly stupid penatly against him the other night. How many penatlites did we end up with anyway, 20?

^^^^ yep

On a couple of the big plays Fitz would line up in the slot on Gamble's side. When Chris would fall back to his @#$@#@$$#$%%^ zone, Fitz would literally run across the whole field and sit down behind the zone on the opposite side of the field. This would essentially overload one side of the field. Safties have half the field and will not cross over to help out. That looooooong crossing route left three recievers on two zone playing defensive backs. The only hope of defending that play was to have one of our linebackers cover Fitz through his zone. Fat chance of that happening.

I don't care what scheme they used, the fact of the matter is Fitz should have gotten his ass busted at the line of scrimmage every time he lined up, no questions asked.

Somebody should have been assigned to stick with him like glue, and busting his ass, and getting him off his route was of the utmost importance, but that is just to easy to game plan around, or actually execute.

One of the dumbest mistakes ever by our coaching staff for sure.

I don't care what scheme they used, the fact of the matter is Fitz should have gotten his ass busted at the line of scrimmage every time he lined up, no questions asked.

Somebody should have been assigned to stick with him like glue, and busting his ass, and getting him off his route was of the utmost importance, but that is just to easy to game plan around, or actually execute.

One of the dumbest mistakes ever by our coaching staff for sure.

The last time I remember us playing man to man was when Ricky Manning Jr. had multiple picks against Philly in the playoffs 1000 years ago. (at least it seems like 1000 years ago).

I said this in another post. Why the hell wasn't someone not laying Fitz out on the line at the beginning of the plays? At least press him and push him off the route!

In Turgs scheme we always start off about 7 to 8 yards deep and play cover two. That scheme has it's place. It unfortunately is not a viable every down every play defensive scheme. Ever wonder why other teams convert an unusually high rate of third downs? We give them the short routes by playing 8 yards of the line.

Yes, although it looks more like they are playing 10 yards deep. It seems either Turgs doesn't trust the CB's enough to let them hit up on the line or he is so freakin scared of getting beat deep that he is willing to give up 7+ yards on every single pass play. It sickens me how easily teams can pass against us, especially those short routes where they get a effin first down every other play.

Archived