• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The 3-4 and the implications of the Panthers switching to it.

Fiz

Can't do a 3-4

That would mean Fox having to adapt to a new defense and doing away with his potent

BEND DON'T BREAK

That would mean a new D/C and new defensive coaches

That would mean replacing some defensive players

Same thing Miami did !!!

Panthers need to get AGGRESIVE on defense somehow someway

That involves retraining and new schems

Every team in the N F L got copies FED -X overnight CARDS & Panthers .

TRUE every Team does not have Fitz

But its clear how to pick apart Foxes DEFENSE

Its on film for all to study .

• 2 weeks later...

for us to switch we'd have to do some radical moves.

First trade Peppers and get a 1st, 3rd and 4th for him

Second cut Lewis, Lucas, Landon Johnson, Hackett, Restructure Delhomme.

In FA sign Chris Canty for one DE spot, Get Crowder for the ILB spot.

In the draft get BJ Raja in first round, (might have to trade up or back (depends where we are picking from the trade.) Another option for us is to go for OLB and get Brian Orakpo.

Depending which way we go in the first we could go with Filia Moala at dt or Connor Balwin at OLB.

In the thrid we pick up a wr for the offense and a DE for the rotation say Tyson Jackson from LSU.

So from the first three rounds of the draft (say we go NT then OLB) and FA our team would look something like this

Starters are in bold

Secondary

CB - Gamble, Marshall, Wilson

S- Harris, Godfrey

OLB Taylor, Davis, Connor Balwin, Diggs,

ILB - Beason, Crowder

DE - Tyson Jackson, Canty, Brayton, Johnson

DT - bj Raja, Kemo, Hayden

Yea I know its not going to happen, I was just pointing out how much of a change it would take for us to even have an half effective 3-4 defense as much as I love the style.

None of our outside LB's are big enough.

At least half of our defensive starters would need to change.

Not only that, but it'll take more than 1 year to see serious improvement from any change. All the while, we have a good offense that yall want to go to waste while we wait for the right coaches, and personal changes.

The Panthers have Kemoeatu, who has the size, but cannot penetrate at all. A good NT frees up the linebackers to make plays. Ray Lewis wanted Kemo out of baltimore because he couldn't do that. On passing downs, they only needed to single team him because he couldn't penetrate. Even now teams are content with just sticking a guard on Kemo. We'd almost certainly need a replacement there, and there simply aren't any FA NTs on the market this year.

You are actually incorrect about Ray Lewis wanting Kemo out of Baltimore. Lewis had his best years when Kemo was in Baltimore, it was the year after Kemo left, when Kelly Gregg was starting, where Lewis wanted a new NT (Ngata). Kemo was a hot commodity when he hit the FA market.. there were quite a few teams bidding on his services. Kemo consistantly freed up the LBs because he commanded a double team and he still does. Kemo is a perfect NT in the 34 scheme.

Also, Thomas Davis is not strong enough to play OLB in a 34 defense. He benched 19 reps at the combine and weighed 230.. he is a little heavier and a little stronger than he was then, but he benches 22-23 reps max.. and that wont cut it. Ware, Merriman, Harrisson, Porter.. those guys all bench 28+. Davis would have to move inside in a 34, if anything.

You are actually incorrect about Ray Lewis wanting Kemo out of Baltimore. Lewis had his best years when Kemo was in Baltimore, it was the year after Kemo left, when Kelly Gregg was starting, where Lewis wanted a new NT (Ngata). Kemo was a hot commodity when he hit the FA market.. there were quite a few teams bidding on his services. Kemo is a perfect NT in the 34 scheme.

Actually, the Ravens switched to a 4-3 at the beginning of 2005 and that really hurt Lewis's production. He was also injured and out the last couple of games that year. Lewis lobbied heavily to return to the 3-4 and eventually got his way. We picked up Kemo in the offseason after 2005. I seem to remember both sides of this Kemo/Lewis thing. The only thing I could find were the comments Lewis made after Kemo left, which were supportive and encouraging. I also remember some rumors that part of Lewis' displeasure with their defense was directed at Kemo during the 2005 season. IIRC I read those rumors on the Huddle right after we signed Kemo. There's something there Fiz, I just can't remember the specifics.

Archived