• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The New Judge Dredd

Your Creeper Cabbie

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2010/07/karl-urban-confirms-judge-dred.html

Karl-Urban-New-Leonard-Bones-McCoy-star-trek-2009-6248734-446-410.jpg

KARL URBAN is the law. The 38-year-old New Zealander will play the new Judge Dredd on the big screen.

In May, the project from London-based DNA Films was officially announced at Cannes, with Reliance BIG Pictures and IM Global providing a $45million budget and Pete Travis (Endgame) in the director's chair.

Urban, who played Dr Leonard 'Bones' McCoy in 2009's Star Trek movie, has now confirmed rumours that he has been cast as the futuristic law-enforcer.

He told Collider: "Well, it's in its very, very early days, but I feel pretty safe to say 'Yes. I am the law.'

"I've met with [director] Pete Travis, [producer] Andrew McDonald and we've had a really wonderful meeting of the minds. They have offered me the role and we're in the process of making that happen.

"I believe it's slated to start shooting in late October or early November in South Africa."

He added: "It's my understanding that it going to be harder, grittier, and above all faithful to the comic.

"This Dredd is not going to be wrapped up in ego. This Dredd is going to be faithful. The cool thing about Dredd to me was that with Dredd you always know where he stands. His attitudes are strong. What he does is strong.

"He's an iconic, badass, tough lawman with great ironic witty one-liners set in this futuristic post-apocalyptic world. I'm very excited about seeing this authentic and faithful adapation of that character and world on the screen."

He continued: "I can say that the producers behind this movie are being 100% faithful to the source material. The creator is involved as a consultant, and the artist, Jock, who's done some incredible work...he's also involved in the development stage. I can tell you that in no way, shape, or form is it related to any other movie that's come out called Judge Dredd.

"It's going to be hardcore and gritty. I feel most happy for fans of Dredd who are finally going to get the Dredd movie they so richly deserve."

And Karl has no worries about his face being hidden under the character's helmet. That's what happens in the comic books and that's what the fans want; indeed, one of the key complaints about the 1995 film starring Sylvester Stallone was that the mask was removed.

Urban assured us: "I can tell you that hypothetically - and this just gives you an idea of where our heads are collectively at - if I was to go see a movie called Judge Dredd, and the actor was to take his helmet off and full-on reveal his face and identity, I would puke in my popcorn."

Archived