• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What Book are You Currently Reading?

Razzy

Hey, any of you idiots read!? :D

Never saw a lit thread, so I figure I'd throw this out there. I tend to read a lot more during the summer and I'm always looking for new books so I figured here's a place to discuss them if you like to read.

Previously read:

times-arrow.jpg

A conscious entity (it is never explained what, a metaphor for the soul & innocence I guess) is born within a former SS doctor backwards when he dies in America and then lives the man's life backwards to his berth in Germany. A pretty good book if you like historical fiction and can take a Holocaust book written from a strange perspective. The way the entity naively perceives what is going on is pretty funny at times and makes for an interesting narration style.

Currently Reading:

Chickenhawk.JPG

The true (but told in a fictionalized form) story of a Huey assault pilot in the early days of Vietnam. Pretty damn good, if you enjoy military dramas you'd probably enjoy it. It's very well written, Mason does a great job of making you feel as though you are in the chopper. He spends the first third or so of the book taking you through flight training and explaining flight theory, controls, and maneuvers so that when the action comes you understand exactly what was going on to keep you engaged in the action scenes. At this point his Vietnam, in the early days of the Air Cavalry, 1 in 5 pilots was KIA and a lot of the books deals with the morale of the troops and their experiences in the war. A pretty insightful 1st hand look at Vietnam.

An Old Favorite:

endersgame.jpg

If you never read Ender's Game and like sci-fi, you have to read it.

Archived