• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers seem like right fit for Wright

scpanther22

Wright said he knows he's going to make the roster, but his goal is to contribute more than just his tackling prowess on special teams

"My thing is, at this point in my career I want a chance to play offense. Special teams has been my niche thus far, and I'm capable of playing wide receiver in the NFL. The Panthers told me that after Steve Smith, everybody else was even, and they said they would give me every opportunity they could for me to be successful."

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2010/07/16/1013835?sac=Home

I'd like to see the guy make it but I think LaFell, Edwards and Gettis are going to be locks. He's going to have to beat out Kenny Moore who seems to be taking it to another level now. He might squeeze in on ST.

Smith-Jarrett-LaFell-Edwards-Wright

I believe we keep Jarrett with an impressive camp and sneak Gettis on the practice squad. It is time to cut ties with Moore, I like him but just do not think his ceiling is all that high.

how is kenny moore taking it to another level?

he's a placeholder for smith in the lineup and i doubt he goes beyond that. all being equal he'll struggle to make it ahead of jarrett, lafell, edwards, and wright. as a returner he hasn't shown himself to be anything special. more than anything we will be seeing the need for his being on the team disappear.

I believe we keep Jarrett with an impressive camp and sneak Gettis on the practice squad. It is time to cut ties with Moore, I like him but just do not think his ceiling is all that high.

I think Gettis makes it just because we need his speed to bring more dynamic to the WR position. We really don't know how Edwards is going to pan out. LaFell, Jarrett, and Wright don't exactly torch people if you get what I'm saying. God forbid Smitty goes down for any significant amount of time and we're left with 2 possession WR's(one of which has deceptive speed, LaFell), one unknown athletic freak in Edwards(but we don't know how he will handle the press) and Wright who strikes me as the work horse WR who may be decent at everything. The Brayton of WR's.

agreed. if we go 6 receivers on the roster i still doubt that moore makes it ahead of gettis. i think they have seen plenty of moore to know what he can bring.

I think Gettis makes it just because we need his speed to bring more dynamic to the WR position. We really don't know how Edwards is going to pan out. LaFell, Jarrett, and Wright don't exactly torch people if you get what I'm saying. God forbid Smitty goes down for any significant amount of time and we're left with 2 possession WR's(one of which has deceptive speed, LaFell), one unknown athletic freak in Edwards(but we don't know how he will handle the press) and Wright who strikes me as the work horse WR who may be decent at everything. The Brayton of WR's.

I agree we do need speed, but you do not trade a second round pick for Edwards to play behind Gettis. We will have Smith and Edwards who will be the burners, and hopefully LaFell can be productive in the red zone and on running downs and Jarrett on third down with his good hands. I like this mix of recievers a lot, they all bring something different I believe. If Smith goes down we can always bring Gettis up from practice squad.

To me Gettis reminds me a lot of Drew Carter, but I do think he will be better. He is more of a track star then a football player right now, give him some time to develop. He will not do anything for us this year anyway even if he makes the squad. And like I said Moore is nothing special and should not take a spot from Wallace who is a special teams monster or Jarrett who is still very young.

I agree we do need speed, but you do not trade a second round pick for Edwards to play behind Gettis. We will have Smith and Edwards who will be the burners, and hopefully LaFell can be productive in the red zone and on running downs and Jarrett on third down with his good hands. I like this mix of recievers a lot, they all bring something different I believe. If Smith goes down we can always bring Gettis up from practice squad.

To me Gettis reminds me a lot of Drew Carter, but I do think he will be better. He is more of a track star then a football player right now, give him some time to develop. He will not do anything for us this year anyway even if he makes the squad. And like I said Moore is nothing special and should not take a spot from Wallace who is a special teams monster or Jarrett who is still very young.

Yeah I agree. I'm not saying Gettis should be ahead of Moore but just kind of like an insurance policy if Edwards isn't progressing. I don't think Gettis would last on PS.

At this point I don't care who shows up and plays well. It isn't like they have to be a superstar. If we can get 2 different guys who show up every week and play, we should be okay. We just can't count on Steve to have to shoulder it all himself.

I agree putting Gettis on practice squad I just don't see a reason to carry 6 receivers. I also do not see anyone we could cut for Gettis. I know a lot of people want Jarrett on this team, but do you guys truly feel comfortable with a core of Smith, three rookies, and Karl Hankton 2.0. I think wee need Jarrett on this team. I know he is very disliked on this board, but Ive been impressed with what I have seen out of him. Yes, there have been articles about him not being great in practice or knowing the playbook, but the same articles and tweet were being written about Matt Moore. I say give the kid ONE more shot.

I agree putting Gettis on practice squad I just don't see a reason to carry 6 receivers. I also do not see anyone we could cut for Gettis. I know a lot of people want Jarrett on this team, but do you guys truly feel comfortable with a core of Smith, three rookies, and Karl Hankton 2.0. I think wee need Jarrett on this team. I know he is very disliked on this board, but Ive been impressed with what I have seen out of him. Yes, there have been articles about him not being great in practice or knowing the playbook, but the same articles and tweet were being written about Matt Moore. I say give the kid ONE more shot.

I bet we carry six Wides this year if you count Goodson as one of them. We were runing 4 wides in OTAs. If you are going to do that , you need at least 6 guys on the roster and 5 that suit up every week at least.

Archived