• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trans-Atlantic Flight Experiences

neverlosethefeeling

Studying abroad in England in the fall... about to book my flight. Lots of different airlines around the same price point (I'm a student, so I'll obviously be flying coach class). Who's made a trans-atlantic flight? What airline? What was your experience?

Only international flight I've been on was to the Dominican Republic and that was only about 3 hours so not a big deal.

Ready, go!

Studying abroad in England in the fall... about to book my flight. Lots of different airlines around the same price point (I'm a student, so I'll obviously be flying coach class). Who's made a trans-atlantic flight? What airline? What was your experience?

Only international flight I've been on was to the Dominican Republic and that was only about 3 hours so not a big deal.

Ready, go!

I've been across the Atlantic 5 times, and all I do is sleep. I instantly get tired. Mine have been all military or military charter so my experience may differ greatly than any you might have. As far as advice try not to eat too much airline food, gives you gas along with pressurization of the cabin and 8 hour flights with gas suck. Try Dramamine or some kind of PM headache medicine, sleep man that's the best advice.

Been to the Old World 3 times.

I think it was Delta twice, Air France once.

The AF flight over was great, as they had TV in the back of the seats with video games. The flight back sucked. I wont go into details, but it ended up taking me 2 days to get home with a night in Montreal.

I cant sleep on planes, so thats out the window. If you can sleep, by all means do so. When you get there, try your damndest to stay awake. If you have to, take a short nap when you get there. Avoid alcohol on the flight and when you get there. One trip we flew to Munich. First stop in Munich? Hofbrauhaus. Totally crashed that afternoon. Woke up about 7pm, not knowing where the fug i was.....

Last time to Paris, stayed up till freaking 1-2am Paris time. I think i was up 30+ straight hours, but i actually got a second wind that night. I guess my internal clock thought it was day time.

With you going for the whole summer, jet lag wont be a big deal for you. Its when you are going for a week or so on vacation and dont want to waste half of it jet lagged or sleeping.

There was the time we almost landed on another plane at Chuck de Gaulle...

Flying to England is only like 6 or 7 hours over (it's always faster that direction cause the jet stream).

BA's probably the best of the worst. Air Chance is a crap shoot.

I've flown across the atlantic 4 times. For the love of god, get a direct flight. Thats the best advice I can give you.

Oh, and British Airways was by far my best experience.

US Airways is the only carrier that I've found offering a direct flight to/from Charlotte and Heathrow. And out of all the other reviews I've read online, US Airways has the WORST reviews of any of the airlines. As expected, most of the routes are taking me to JFK/EWR or Boston-Logan and then to London. Some of the layovers aren't bad at all though. Something like 50 minutes which is really nothing considering deplaning time and changing terminals and all in JFK.

Airplanes get uncomfortable for me after too long and I have trouble falling asleep. I've got an iPod but I really can't listen to music for 7 hours straight and the 15 bucks you have to pay for in-flight wireless is ridiculous so the in-flight entertainment, I suspect, will be utilized.

Thanks, all.

Heard a travel tip that airlines update their systems every Wednesday morning at 1am so I stayed up to see if that was true. It is. Unfortunately the fares mostly increased by about 100 bucks at 1am! Sonuva....

I would take the flight to ny or boston...dont take us airways for an international flight..But beware...a 50 min layover in a big airport like JFK is almost suicide..If you arent near the same concourse you will miss your flight. and shame on you for not booking your flight lol...u shoulda known better.

I've flown across the atlantic 4 times. For the love of god, get a direct flight. Thats the best advice I can give you.

Oh, and British Airways was by far my best experience.

agree on both.

I have flown maybe 10 times to London. Once from SFO which was just too damn long. BA is the best. United did fine too.

I would fly USAir if it were direct. Saving 3-4 hours of flying time is key.

US Airways is the only carrier that I've found offering a direct flight to/from Charlotte and Heathrow. And out of all the other reviews I've read online, US Airways has the WORST reviews of any of the airlines. As expected, most of the routes are taking me to JFK/EWR or Boston-Logan and then to London. Some of the layovers aren't bad at all though. Something like 50 minutes which is really nothing considering deplaning time and changing terminals and all in JFK.

Airplanes get uncomfortable for me after too long and I have trouble falling asleep. I've got an iPod but I really can't listen to music for 7 hours straight and the 15 bucks you have to pay for in-flight wireless is ridiculous so the in-flight entertainment, I suspect, will be utilized.

Thanks, all.

Heard a travel tip that airlines update their systems every Wednesday morning at 1am so I stayed up to see if that was true. It is. Unfortunately the fares mostly increased by about 100 bucks at 1am! Sonuva....

Tylenol PM. :)

Call the airline and request a bulkhead aisle seat. When I was flying back and forth from Atlanta to Dubai I would always do it; half the time they would and half the time they wouldn't. Tell them you have bad knees and that you need the room!

Also, don't sleep the day of the flight... Get on the plane, eat a good dinner, drink a couple of beers, and take som Tylenol PM. You will go to sleep and wake up 8 hours later!

Archived