• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

its fun to prove people wrong...2010 preview

89bottomline

I think the important issue here is that we have had a team here for the last few years that looks like it's on the verge of greatness, but can't seem to get over the hump. Be that due to a flawed philosophy on the field or business office, some missing pieces in talent, or something else, we have been watching a team that looks tentative and, in our minds, is underachieving. This the cause of frustration and confusion.

I firmly believe that Fox cost us a Super Bowl by not changing/reacting to the way Arizona played us.

Well, the realists were right last season. The homers were dead wrong (go ahead, blame Jake all you want, you were still wrong) and the pessimists once again overreacted like little sissy babies. I'm telling you right now, though not 100% factually accurate, this article is pretty much spot on.

Homers and Pessimists are always wrong because their predictions are always extreme and fueled by emotion. Realists are always right because they don't gamble with outlandish predictions or commit fully to a specific scenario.

Homers and Pessimists are always wrong because their predictions are always extreme and fueled by emotion. Realists are always right because they don't gamble with outlandish predictions or commit fully to a specific scenario.

Well if you could get that into the heads of 85% of this board, it'd be a much better forum.

"But Panthers GM Marty Hurney – who, by the way, got a contract extension in June – watched Moore on film, saw myriad flaws and knew that, eventually, defenses would find ways to exploit what he was seeing. So, when Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen fell in the draft and was available at 48, Hurney pulled the trigger."

This is now the 3rd reason I have read as to why we drafted Jimmy Clausen. Where did this guy get this information? Why didn't he directly quote his source?

Health and old age were a factor in many of these moves. But a bigger factor was money. After Harris got away, head coach John Fox acknowledged that the club is on a tight budget. Fox would know; he’s in the final year of his contract. The Panthers actually allowed him to void the final year of his deal back in January (a highly unusual move) so that he could have a crack at filling one of the league’s head coaching vacancies. When nothing worked out, it was agreed that Fox would return to finish out his contract in ’10.
This is the first I've heard of this. Is there any truth to it?

BTW, while there were some mistakes, I have to admire how well he did his homework overall. Most national writers wouldn't know our starting lineup, let alone the depth.

"But Panthers GM Marty Hurney – who, by the way, got a contract extension in June – watched Moore on film, saw myriad flaws and knew that, eventually, defenses would find ways to exploit what he was seeing.

Too bad Hurney did watch Jake on film.

There are some factual errors in the article, but I thought his perspective on the team's situation was insightful, straightforward, and honest. It is true that JR and the Panthers took an ultra-conservative path when they whittled the team down by cutting 9 starters. And that is not necessarily a "WIN NOW" strategy.

People who want to nitpick the errors (like the Tyler/Detroit error; or the Chris Harris error) aren't looking at the bigger picture the article presents.

From an outside, non-biased (whch I think the article does a good job of maintaining), objective POV there are like 7 or 8 HUGE holes on this team.

Those that say he is underestimating our defense...we are probably going to suck in a lot of situations. Only if we can get teams into 3rd and long where they have to throw into the jaws of our secondary will we have a chance of getting off the field. Teams will be battering us with runs up the middle. I'm sorry, but I do not want to pay to see Dan Conner play middle linebacker with Beason still on the field! My guess is that we will be in a lot more 3rd and 1 situations than 3rd and 10. Fox and Meeks are implementing one of the most uncreative schemes in the league. Like last year, it will probably be 6-8 games before we see the D unit gel, if at all.

On Offense, a lot of outside people don't see what some Panther's fans see in Matt Moore (I thought his performance against Minnesota last year was pretty impressive). Clausen just doesn't have the experience. Pike isn't there yet. Cantwell isn't the answer. This is not looking good to me. With Smitty out for the entire preseason, how can the passing game gel? We need a true #3 reciever and a big time TE (Barnidge). Armanti as a rookie learning a position??? I was astonded and pleased with the pick, but come on!! It's a long shot to think that he can be a major contributer in his first year, coming out of Div. 1A. The O-line will probably struggle in pass protection early in the year because of the QB situation and especially if Clausen somehow has to start.

On paper we look like a 6-10 team at best. Not saying we are (but let's face it anything less that a playoff berth and we will all be disappointed). This guy does a good job of analyzing the reasons for this. We are rebuilding, perhaps in a good way, but its still rebuilding.

I also seriously think we will have a new coach in 2011.

There are some factual errors in the article, but I thought his perspective on the team's situation was insightful, straightforward, and honest. It is true that JR and the Panthers took an ultra-conservative path when they whittled the team down by cutting 9 starters. And that is not necessarily a "WIN NOW" strategy.

People who want to nitpick the errors (like the Tyler/Detroit error; or the Chris Harris error) aren't looking at the bigger picture the article presents.

From an outside, non-biased (whch I think the article does a good job of maintaining), objective POV there are like 7 or 8 HUGE holes on this team.

Those that say he is underestimating our defense...we are probably going to suck in a lot of situations. Only if we can get teams into 3rd and long where they have to throw into the jaws of our secondary will we have a chance of getting off the field. Teams will be battering us with runs up the middle. I'm sorry, but I do not want to pay to see Dan Conner play middle linebacker with Beason still on the field! My guess is that we will be in a lot more 3rd and 1 situations than 3rd and 10. Fox and Meeks are implementing one of the most uncreative schemes in the league. Like last year, it will probably be 6-8 games before we see the D unit gel, if at all.

On Offense, a lot of outside people don't see what some Panther's fans see in Matt Moore (I thought his performance against Minnesota last year was pretty impressive). Clausen just doesn't have the experience. Pike isn't there yet. Cantwell isn't the answer. This is not looking good to me. With Smitty out for the entire preseason, how can the passing game gel? We need a true #3 reciever and a big time TE (Barnidge). Armanti as a rookie learning a position??? I was astonded and pleased with the pick, but come on!! It's a long shot to think that he can be a major contributer in his first year, coming out of Div. 1A. The O-line will probably struggle in pass protection early in the year because of the QB situation and especially if Clausen somehow has to start.

On paper we look like a 6-10 team at best. Not saying we are (but let's face it anything less that a playoff berth and we will all be disappointed). This guy does a good job of analyzing the reasons for this. We are rebuilding, perhaps in a good way, but its still rebuilding.

I also seriously think we will have a new coach in 2011.

Why does no one talk about how this team did against playoff caliber teams at the end of last year with basically the same or less personnel (minus Peppers)? Smith and DeAngelo were out. Gross and another lineman were out. Thomas Davis was out. The rookies were playing outstanding.

Sorry man, but this team with a QB that isnt a turnover machine has demonstrated to be upper eschelon in my mind. If the proof is in the pudding, look to how THAT team did rather than the one that started out last year.

In the 15 years that Richardson has been the owner, it appears as though he was committed in 14 of those years, and the only year in which his commitment could be questioned was an uncapped year where his frugality may prove incredibly beneficial with a new CBA.

Well said. JR has consistently been an owner who was willing to spend to obtain top level talent. He is not a cheap owner by any means. With the uncertainty of the CBA, he is hedging his bets. We will be better than the experts think this season, and will be very well positioned for the future.

Only those knee-jerk reaction fans don't get this. They think that their team should go out and spend for every big name FA that is on the market....even though this strategy has been proven wrong time and time again. Whether we all understand it or agree with it, the NFL is a business. Teams must be run in a fiscally responsible manner....or else you end up like the Raiders and the Redskins.

JR is very smart to dump large contracts for marginal players....even if it means we take a step backwards for a season.

Why does no one talk about how this team did against playoff caliber teams at the end of last year with basically the same or less personnel (minus Peppers)? Smith and DeAngelo were out. Gross and another lineman were out. Thomas Davis was out. The rookies were playing outstanding.

Sorry man, but this team with a QB that isnt a turnover machine has demonstrated to be upper eschelon in my mind. If the proof is in the pudding, look to how THAT team did rather than the one that started out last year.

THis team is a far cry from the one that finished the season last year so there is no reason to believe that we will pick up where we left off. And it is possible that guys like Moore will struggle once opposing teams have more film on him. We all hope for the best but the reason most fans aren't talking about last year is that it will have little bearing on this year or this team.

Unfortunately, having a stout run/short yardage defense has really traditionally been our only real strength on D. How many times over the last several seasons did we watch our defense shut a team down to 3-long, only to give up a long+5yd pass play on 3rd down. If you need a big play or a TD, just throw it to Gamble's side of the field. He's consistently a step and a half behind the play reaching out desperately to grab at the receiver. Without a run defense, we don't have much...

Archived