• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Conan gets an Emmy nod while Leno gets nothing

Dpantherman

By DAVID BAUDER (AP) – 51 minutes ago

Emmys back Conan O'Brien over Jay Leno

NEW YORK — The Emmys are standing with Team Coco, snubbing Jay Leno.

O'Brien's short-lived reign at NBC's "Tonight" show earned him an Emmy nod for best variety, music or comedy series. Leno, who returned to "Tonight" following the failure of his prime-time show, was not nominated on Thursday.

But if it makes Leno feel any better, David Letterman was snubbed in the same category — for the first time in 17 years.

NBC submitted both versions of "Tonight" for Emmys consideration, letting the TV academy decide what to include in the category. They went with O'Brien, who was nominated alongside "Saturday Night Live" and shows hosted by Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert and Bill Maher. O'Brien's final "Tonight" show was also nominated for best writing in a variety, music or comedy series.

"We congratulate Conan and all of our nominees on their creative accomplishments and their deserved nominations," NBC said in a statement.

More...

For a change, I'm actually with the TV Academy this time.

I have never liked Leno. He's always seemed dry and over-rehearsed. His comedy is cautious... he rarely if ever says anything over the top. His delivery tries to mix sarcasm and wit with intelligence, but just comes out sounding white-washed and plain. Watching his routine is like watching a college lecture. If you are a Leno fan, sorry if you are offended, but he's yawn-city to me.

O'Brien though... he's original.... loony in a Carson kind of way... isn't afraid to do crazy crap. Yet at the same time, he can be subtle, and intelligent. Much better of a host IMHO.

Archived