• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Godfrey move to SS?

scpanther22

This is why statistics and ratings system don't even come close to telling the whole story.

No they don't, but it's true that Damione Lewis was never that great against the run, so I can't really dispute those numbers too much. That is something I have definitely seen with my own eyes.

Yeah he was our worse run defender and best pass rusher among the tackles. Thomas was rated our best run defender.

Look at the defensive ends.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=DE3&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=5&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Brayton rated the worst in pass rush and second in run defense but Johnson got the best rating of those who remain. I think Brayton was hurt by penalties because even though he ranked last, he either led or was second in several categories. He was second in sacks, tied for second in quarterback hits, second in quarterback pressures, missed no tackles, and led the team in solo stops resulting in an offensive failure. So even with the rankings you have to look at the categories to make sense of them.

Eh, I'm not even that worried about the DE's anyway. Sure, I wish we still had Peppers, but I actually like the mix if veterans and young talent we have at DE. The #1 thing that gives me hope anyway, is that fact that this will be Meeks' 2nd year here. It takes a minute or two to get back up to speed when you change coaches.

I think some fans have kind of lost sight of the fact that virtually this whole defensive coaching staff was brand new last year, so there was more to it than just learning a new scheme.

Eh, I'm not even that worried about the DE's anyway. Sure, I wish we still had Peppers, but I actually like the mix if veterans and young talent we have at DE. The #1 thing that gives me hope anyway, is that fact that this will be Meeks' 2nd year here. It takes a minute or two to get back up to speed when you change virtually the entire defensive coaching staff.

To me the success of the defensive line will be largely up to Johnson and Louis. Louis has to be stout against the run and Johnson is going to have to at least double his sack total from last year (4). A 4-3 under/over has to have a nose tackle who can take on double teams and stuff the run. With both the other DT and DE playing a single gap technique which I think is where Johnson will line up, he has to be able to beat his man and pressure the quarterback as Pepper's did for years.

Leonard is going to have to be our rock at DT. We can't afford for him to get hurt, he will be the difference between holding a team 60 yds rushing and 120 yds. Johnson is going have to live up to all this talk of his potential, time to walk the walk. I also think it will extremely helpful if Brown steps up big and takes Brayton's spot, though I'm not sure if it has to be a necessity.

Yeah, we definitely need Leonard to step it up. I can't argue with that at all. On the other hand, Tank Tyler does give us a little more size on the other side. My biggest worry is still the bench players though...I'm hoping that Ed Johnson still has some good football in him. He could help us tremendously.

Leonard is going to have to be our rock at DT. We can't afford for him to get hurt, he will be the difference between holding a team 60 yds rushing and 120 yds. Johnson is going have to live up to all this talk of his potential, time to walk the walk. I also think it will extremely helpful if Brown steps up big and takes Brayton's spot, though I'm not sure if it has to be a necessity.

I don't know if Brown can take Brayton's place if we play the same scheme as last year. With Louis over the nose, Brayton has to often take on double teams which I don't think Brown is stout enough to do at this point. If Brayton isn't starting, I expect Johnson would take his place and Brown would move to the other side.

Archived