• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Godfrey move to SS?

scpanther22

Hidden

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Godfrey went through a stretch where he was out of position and taking bad angles which made him look like a bad tackler. I think things were compounded when Harris went down with an injury. Godfrey wasn't ready to take a leadership position at that time, but we had no other option. I think he's ready now to take a leadership postion in the secondary now. He's not as bad a tackler as some have made him out to be imo.

Godfrey is funnily enough a better fit at SS due to his stature, he's not as broad or as tall as Martin but he hits with good pad level whereas Martin as good as he played last year doesn't always get his pad level low all that well.

Martin is by far the best coverage safety we have. Either way, I'd wager you're better off having the surer tackler on the same side as Gamble since he's no where near as good in run support as Marshall. If a run play is likely to be funneled back inwards due to a missed tackle it's more likely to be away from Beason on the weakside and Marshall and more likely to be toward the left defensive end spot right at the less experienced SLB whomever wins the spot and Gamble.

It depends on who lines up where in front of the defense that should determine it more than one guy has to stick to whatever side. In the Carolina system the safeties are pretty much interchangeable, but if I'm looking for the most secure set up I want my best tackler above Gamble and my best cover guy above Marshall.

I was under the impression that it is a done deal. Godfrey, Francisco, and Hudson are at SS; Martin, Pugh are the FS. I wonder if Godfrey will play in cover 2, but come out occasionally when we go to cover 3 (with the lone free saftey), and Francisco or Eric Norwood replace him to stop the run or pressure the qb.

i would feel much better with martin at free and godfrey at strong when one of the safties comes up. in cover 2 both safties have the same responsiability as they have deep halfs of the field.as long as godfrey can stay in position and not get skates(dallas game) we should be fine.

I think Goodfrey moves to SS. I think Martin will end up being better in coverage and so he'll be better suited to be out deep.

This would be my guess, although its a shame to hear this as Godfrey played corner in college. But watching last season, Martin stood out as a better "centerfield/cover 1" type player.

This would be my guess, although its a shame to hear this as Godfrey played corner in college. But watching last season, Martin stood out as a better "centerfield/cover 1" type player.

I don't thinks it's disspointing because at an nfl level martin is the CB and godfrey is the FS. So we have a FS with CB coverage skills and a SS who isn't huge but he's quick and covers well.

For idiots like me who have never studied statistics, what does all of that actually mean?

It means you should ignore all the numbers, watch a game or two on TV and then expound your wisdom about what you see and who is the best, just like lots of other folks here.:D

It means you should ignore all the numbers, watch a game or two on TV and then expound your wisdom about what you see and who is the best, just like lots of other folks here.:D

LOL, that's pretty good advice.

BTW, have you looked up the Panthers D-line from last year? According to that site, Damione Lewis was our worst run defender. Tank Tyler, Louis Leonard, and even Nick Hayden had a better score than him, which reinforces my idea that the Panthers may have actually gotten better at run defense this off season, instead of worse, like so may fans assume.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/cstats.php?tab=by_team&season=2009&teamid=5&stype=a&stats=d

According to that site, Damione Lewis was our worst run defender. Tank Tyler, Louis Leonard, and even Nick Hayden had a better score than him

This is why statistics and ratings system don't even come close to telling the whole story.

LOL, that's pretty good advice.

BTW, have you looked up the Panthers D-line from last year? According to that site, Damione Lewis was our worst run defender. Tank Tyler, Louis Leonard, and even Nick Hayden had a better score than him, which reinforces my idea that the Panthers may have actually gotten better at run defense this off season, instead of worse, like so may fans assume.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/cstats.php?tab=by_team&season=2009&teamid=5&stype=a&stats=d

Yeah he was our worse run defender and best pass rusher among the tackles. Thomas was rated our best run defender.

Look at the defensive ends.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=DE3&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=5&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Brayton rated the worst in pass rush and second in run defense but Johnson got the best rating of those who remain. I think Brayton was hurt by penalties because even though he ranked last, he either led or was second in several categories. He was second in sacks, tied for second in quarterback hits, second in quarterback pressures, missed no tackles, and led the team in solo stops resulting in an offensive failure. So even with the rankings you have to look at the categories to make sense of them.

Archived