• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Godfrey move to SS?

scpanther22

in this system i think SS and FS will be in name only for the most part. both will have pretty much the exact same responsibilities, just on either side of the field.

sooo...doesn't really matter what title you give either one. job will be the same.

maybe on downs we play a legit cover 2 they are the same....but I would wager most downs we won't be in a legit cover 2 scheme. Especially if the DL struggles as is a realistic projection.

I don't think it matters. Martin I think as of right now projects a little better at both spots than Godfrey based on what we have seen.

I really don't care whom is named SS and FS.

Seriously, we have the most athletic pairs of safeties we've had in the history of the Panthers. I like that. Martin looked the part of an all pro safety when he was on the field last year.

I hope they both remain healthy.

I would rather see Godfrey at FS due to size and nature of play, whereas Martin is a little bigger and better against the run, so he's a better fit at SS.

This:iagree: and add to that we drop our SS a lot in the box around our 20 yard line. I would rather have Martin being there then Godfrey who has missed some tackles in the past.

Cover 2 so no one will be man to man. If we do go man then Im with ya on that.

I expect we will play man under more this year. We have been collected DBs with better coverage skills to make the conversion. A cover 1 man under is one of the most aggressive shells we can run and will greatly help buy time for the D line to get to the quarterback.

This:iagree: and add to that we drop our SS a lot in the box around our 20 yard line. I would rather have Martin being there then Godfrey who has missed some tackles in the past.

Ask yourself this question. Who do you want hammering lead blocks and trying to contain a RB? Martin or Godfrey? I'll take Godfrey because he has a thicker build, and a lower center of gravity than Martin.

Godfrey vs Bush/Pierre Thomas, Graham/Williams, and Turner/Norwood.

I'm afraid.

Based on what? The fact that he played lights out towards the end of the season when he returned from injury? Or the fact that he leads all our returning players in caused turnovers?

Archived