• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Godfrey move to SS?

scpanther22

in this system i think SS and FS will be in name only for the most part. both will have pretty much the exact same responsibilities, just on either side of the field.

sooo...doesn't really matter what title you give either one. job will be the same.

in this system i think SS and FS will be in name only for the most part. both will have pretty much the exact same responsibilities, just on either side of the field.

sooo...doesn't really matter what title you give either one. job will be the same.

for the most part yes.But the SS will have to be a good run defender the guy that could play in the box.

Godfrey looked like that guy at times last year but who knows if his play will be as good now that he does not have Martin coming for his spot.

In a cover 2 your are right but the last part of the year we ran a cover 1 rover much of the time. Depending on which we use the roles could be very different. In a cover 1 rover the SS uses starts out 10 yards off the line and either drops back in coverage, comes up to support the run or take the running back or tight end. The free safety stay deep 15 yards off the line and covers the middle of the field. Think of Harris for Indy when Meeks was there.

As for the skills sets, Godfrey was a corner in college converted to a safety. He is faster than Martin and in better in run support and is about 10 lbs heavier and the same height.

Martin was a safety projected to be a corner in the NFL. He has great cover skills, is suspect in run support but is considered a big hitter in the secondary.

Each bring their own talent to the field. At this point I would favor Godfrey since he is more experienced and has better understanding of the defense. Usually the SS calls the shell coverage and makes adjustments which I think Godfrey could do better at this point. If Martin picks things up in camp and impresses, that could change.

Sherod Martin is listed at 6-1 198

Godfrey is listed at 5-11 205

I was scolded a while back for not correcting a post that said Sherod Martin will be SS. Everyone automatically thinks Godfrey will be SS although every official statement states Sherod will.

Godfrey looks noticably bigger and Sherod appears to be a better ballhawk with better hands. The biggest issue I have with Sherod making big hits is that he came into the leauge and older rookie, and he broke bones twice in college

Finally:

I would rather see Godfrey at FS due to size and nature of play, whereas Martin is a little bigger and better against the run, so he's a better fit at SS.

Switch the names and you are right. Martin is 6'1" and 198 while Godfrey is 6'1" and 208. Both run the 40 around 4.4. The knock on Martin is that he sometimes takes bad angles but they say he is heavy hitter. A mixed bag. Godfrey was not great in coverage or supporting the run in his rookie year. But based on last year he seems much improved against the run and understands the defense much better. At this point he may have the inside track on the SS job but it is close.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/sherrod-martin?id=71383#profiles-tabs:players-analysis

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33090&draftyear=2008&genpos=CB

Sherod Martin is listed at 6-1 198

Godfrey is listed at 5-11 205

I was scolded a while back for not correcting a post that said Sherod Martin will be SS. Everyone automatically thinks Godfrey will be SS although every official statement states Sherod will.

Godfrey looks noticably bigger and Sherod appears to be a better ballhawk with better hands. The biggest issue I have with Sherod making big hits is that he came into the leauge and older rookie, and he broke bones twice in college

Finally:

Godfrey must be the elastic man. I have seen reports which list him anywhere from 5-11 to 6-1. The link I posted had him at 6'0" and 207.

As for the skills sets, Godfrey was a corner in college converted to a safety. He is faster than Martin and in better in run support and is about 10 lbs heavier and the same height.

Martin was a safety projected to be a corner in the NFL. He has great cover skills, is suspect in run support but is considered a big hitter in the secondary

I agree.

At this point I am looking forward to Godfry in the SS role.

Archived