• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Vine Ripened Tomatoes!

Jangler

I'm doing three 4' x 8' raised beds. One is doing really well, and the others seem to hit the stalling point every now and then, and then they'll take off all of the sudden. Hopefully they'll be okay.

I've got squash, cucumbers, watermelons, zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, yellow and green bell peppers, and jalapeno, ancho, and cayenne peppers.

Oh, and I keep finding horn worms on my tomatoes. :mad:

I'm watering twice a day at 8am & 8pm for 30 mins with a drip system and everything else is going like crazy. Ive got cucs, watermelon, peas, green beans, pumpkins, Black beans, and carrots as well as a bunch of herbs that are all doing great.

I swear the tomatoes are doing it just to piss me off.

That might be the problem right there....sounds like too much water. Even in the dead of summer I don't water mine but once every 3-4 days with a soaker hose. Anything more than that will really do more harm then good.

I have a question....I planted jalapeno, and sweet and hot banana peppers and they have no taste what so ever. Any idea why?

I have more tomatoes then I know what to do with, been using them to throw at the neighbors cats when they come in my yard. Zod's idea of marinara is interesting....got directions?

I wouldn't say it's too much water, rather it's water being administered at the wrong intervals. If you're watering around dusk, the water won't evaporate as quickly, so adding more water just after daybreak isn't really accomplishing a great deal, imo. I can understand completely if it's a work schedule necessity- gotta do what ya gotta do. If I was so lucky as to have a timer on my drip system, hotamitey, I'd have the second dose of water around 10:30 AM

That might be the problem right there....sounds like too much water. Even in the dead of summer I don't water mine but once every 3-4 days with a soaker hose. Anything more than that will really do more harm then good.

I have a question....I planted jalapeno, and sweet and hot banana peppers and they have no taste what so ever. Any idea why?

I have more tomatoes then I know what to do with, been using them to throw at the neighbors cats when they come in my yard. Zod's idea of marinara is interesting....got directions?

You need to nab one of those cats and sacrifice it in honor of the Taco Bell Chalupa Chihuaha.

Nothing makes jalapenos hotter than blood sacrifice.

Archived