• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Magic Jack

The Saltman

I'm using it, have been for 4 months now. Prior to Magic Jack, I had been a Vonage customer since 2004. I had a Vonage wireless G router, so it acted both as my telephone and my wireless network in one unit. I got struck by lightening several months ago, and Vonage no longer makes a wireless router, so I canceled and went with Magic Jack.

Comparatively, the quality of the Vonage service was better than the Magic Jack. They are both hooked up the same way, routed through all of the phone jacks in the house. I have the MJ hooked up to a dedicated, dated spec PC that runs 24x7. I cant speak for quality if you actually are using the PC while talking on the phone, but I've heard some people complain about not being able to surf the internet and talk on the MJ at the same time.

The only "real" problems I have had with the MJ is sometimes while talking it will make a tone that sounds like you accidentally pressed a button on the phone. I always blamed it on the person I was talking to, but it turns out its just something odd with the way our MJ works. Rarely it will act up while talking to someone on a cell phone, making some popping and cracking every now and then. I've never had it drop a call so far.

The MJ was real easy to install, pop the USB stick into a USB port, and it auto-installs the app. You also have the option of choosing your own "vanity" number, but it costs extra.

Given the few problems that I've seen so far, I'm still glad I went with the MJ. For $40 per year, I can deal with the minor issues that comes along with it.

Archived