• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So, who's winning the heavyweight title fight?

necroplasm

Who's gonna win?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who's gonna win?

• Brock "The Albino Gorilla" Lesnar
    • Shane "The Engineer" Carwin
    • Disqualification, no contest, armageddon,etc

I have never been interested in MMA, but I'm ordering the fight with a couple of friends.

I'll take Lesnar because I don't know who that other guy is.

Carwin is 12-0. none have his opponents have made it out of the first round. no one knows much about it, including myself. i would NEVER bet money on this fight. EVER. but im going w/ Brock

I have never been interested in MMA, but I'm ordering the fight with a couple of friends.

I'll take Lesnar because I don't know who that other guy is.

Carwin is 12-0, has defeated every opponent within the first round.

He's definitely Brock's best match. Brock has the speed and athletic ability...so.

It will be interesting.

Edit: lol, dpantherman shares my thoughts on this fight...didn't see your post. XD

I think if Brock takes him to the ground he wins even though Carwin has a wrestling background and is a beast of a guy himself but....if Brock is dumb enough to stand with Carwin he will get KTFO. I'll be watching tonight. Sucks for me that Wanderlei is out of the co-main event though.

IMO Fedor at 225 wins against either of these two 265lb gorillas. ( yeah, I know Fedor got caught in a triangle/armbar by Werdum)

I think if Brock takes him to the ground he wins even though Carwin has a wrestling background and is a beast of a guy himself but....if Brock is dumb enough to stand with Carwin he will get KTFO. I'll be watching tonight. Sucks for me that Wanderlei is out of the co-main event though.

IMO Fedor at 225 wins against either of these two 265lb gorillas. ( yeah, I know Fedor got caught in a triangle/armbar by Werdum)

I agree that Brock has the advantage on the ground and Carwin in the stand-up. However, Carwin also has to be careful of Brock's power. While not as good a striker, Brock probably has as much power as Carwin, so if Carwin gets sloppy and lets Brock land one, then he could be in trouble. Of course, if he is able to land one early himself, then this could be a quick fight.

Nevertheless, Brock's been working A LOT on his wrestling, so I think his game plan is to take Carwin down early and GNP his way to a win (shocking strategy, I know). So, IMO, the fight will come down to whether or not Carwin can stuff the shot and keep the fight on their feet. If that happens, then I think he might be able to pull off the win. But there is one caveat, we have seen Brock go the distance and win, but Carwin's cardio is a question mark since he has never gotten out of the first. We really don't know how he'll respond if this gets to the championship rounds...particularly if he has Brock leaning or laying on him much of the time.

My prediction is that Brock will avoid Carwin’s power and eventually get the takedown, then pound him out. Probably late first, but possibly early second. Of course since pretty much every prediction I make goes the opposite (which is why I don’t gamble), Carwin will probably knock Brock out within the first minute, lol.

As for Fedor, I'm not sure about Carwin, but I think Brock is a bad matchup for him (even if he was still in his prime). He's never fought anyone with Brock's combo of size, strength, speed, and skill. And I think if they did meet, Brock would get an early takedown and just smother him and ground out a win. He might be able to overcome two or even three of those things, but not all four. I just think Brock would be too much for him. Unfortunately, we'll never know, though, since I don’t expect to ever see Fedor in the UFC, nor do I see Brock leaving…barring a loss, in which case, much of the intrigue for this fight would have left.

I agree that Brock has the advantage on the ground and Carwin in the stand-up. However, Carwin also has to be careful of Brock's power. While not as good a striker, Brock probably has as much power as Carwin, so if Carwin gets sloppy and lets Brock land one, then he could be in trouble. Of course, if he is able to land one early himself, then this could be a quick fight.

Nevertheless, Brock's been working A LOT on his wrestling, so I think his game plan is to take Carwin down early and GNP his way to a win (shocking strategy, I know). So, IMO, the fight will come down to whether or not Carwin can stuff the shot and keep the fight on their feet. If that happens, then I think he might be able to pull off the win. But there is one caveat, we have seen Brock go the distance and win, but Carwin's cardio is a question mark since he has never gotten out of the first. We really don't know how he'll respond if this gets to the championship rounds...particularly if he has Brock leaning or laying on him much of the time.

My prediction is that Brock will avoid Carwin’s power and eventually get the takedown, then pound him out. Probably late first, but possibly early second. Of course since pretty much every prediction I make goes the opposite (which is why I don’t gamble), Carwin will probably knock Brock out within the first minute, lol.

As for Fedor, I'm not sure about Carwin, but I think Brock is a bad matchup for him (even if he was still in his prime). He's never fought anyone with Brock's combo of size, strength, speed, and skill. And I think if they did meet, Brock would get an early takedown and just smother him and ground out a win. He might be able to overcome two or even three of those things, but not all four. I just think Brock would be too much for him. Unfortunately, we'll never know, though, since I don’t expect to ever see Fedor in the UFC, nor do I see Brock leaving…barring a loss, in which case, much of the intrigue for this fight would have left.

For the most part we agree. Brock is an animal and can win most fights by brute stength/size once he gets someone to the ground. Brock also has very good stamina and I credit that to his days in WWE running around like a madman 4-5 days a week in matches. I think Lesnar wins the fight tonight.

I disagree about Fedor vs the UFC's "big guys".

Who do the UFC have outside of Lesnar whos fought 5 fights, one against a chump outside the UFC and 2 against Mir whom I don't think is that good but caught Brock in their 1st fight, Heath Herring, who I like, but he isnt a top guy, and Randy, who is old, still tough but past his best years and what Randy is great at Lesnar is bigger, better, stronger at wrestling. Carwin will be IMO Brocks toughest test.

Carwin is a tough guy but what can he do besides knock guys out? Granted thats a whole hell of a lot but what happens when he fights a standup guy? Who has he fought outside of Mir and Gonzaga? Gonzaga damn near had him KO'd. Mir and Gonzaga both prefer the ground game so Carwin had the advantage standing. What happens if he fights Dos Santos or even better Alistar Overeem.

Dos Santos and Cain Velasquez both up and coming. Dos Santos is a very good standing and Cain is a very good wrestler and has a hell of a gas tank.

Who else do they have? Randy, Big Nog, and CroCop are past their primes, Kongo, Mir, and Roy Nelson arent that good IMO.

I'd take Fedor and Alistar overeem over anyone in the UFC. Thats not a pro Strikeforce thing by anymeans its just that I think Fedor and Overeem are better fighters overall. I'm really shocked that Dana hasnt tried to sign Overeem yet. I'm sure its due to the steroid rumors but he did pass when tested in his fight against Rodgers. No way Dana wants Overeem being the UFC champ and then test pos for steroids ala Barnett.

Like Wanderlai said, if Brock stands up with Carwin wins if it goes to the ground Brock will win with ground and pound. I do disagree with you about Fedor taking either of them. Fedor struggled with Rodgers and Avlowski. Maybe if Fedor was 5 years younger it would be a different story. Overeem has not had a tough opponent 2007.

Akiyama is gonna destroy Leban IMO. At least I hope he does cause that is the only fight I got money on. I am also excited to see Chris Tuchschere in the prelims. He got screwed in his fight against Gonzaga with the nut shot.

Archived