• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Armanti Edwards making transition smoothly

scpanther22

It is pretty stupid to pass judgement on Everette Brown at this point and utterly insane to pass it on Armanti Edwards.

I don't even see why comments so ridiculous would bother anyone. Just because some little kid posts something ridiculous between classes at summer school doesn't mean it needs to be taken seriously.

Lets discuss a few things about Brown. He was picked up with our 2010 first round pick not the 2009 first round pick so for those saying he isn't worth a number 17th pick, the clock hasn't begun winding yet. Everything he did last year was icing on the cake and actually cost us nothing since we using a future pick. At the end of this year if he does nothing then you can at least make a comment. But also note that there are very few 1st round draft picks who break out in their rookie season. Chris Long who was the number 2 draft pick in 2008 started all 16 games in 2008 and had 40 tackles and 4 sacks. His sophomore year he played in 16 games but only started 4 of them. His numbers were 43 tackles and 5 sacks.

Brown meanwhile played in 15 games, started 1 had 22 tackles and 2.5 sacks. Pretty good numbers for a guy who cost us nothing in 2009, draft pick wise. And he was a ton cheaper than Chris Long was as well. He is very likely to be able to meet Long's numbers of 43 tackles and 4 or 5 sacks in his second year.

Brown can't be a bust since he cost us a 2010 pick not a 2009 one. Lets see is he is still a situational pass rusher or starts more often. In any case with our rotation he will play in every game and have the chance to contribute very well all year. The same is true of Edwards as well. Anything we get out of him this year will be a bonus since he cost a 2011 second rounder and nothing in 2010.

I do not agree with this idea at all, but can understand why you do.

At 17 we would have been in position to select:

Dan Williams

Thomas

Bulaga

Bryant

McCourtey

etc...

There is a reason that he slipped last year.

Now, I don't mind eating crow at all, but the truth is, he was picked at the 17 slot, and I am not sure that he is worth it.

I didn't think we needed to trade up to get Armanti either; I think we could have drafted him straight up but apparrently Hurney and crew thought he was a stud. And time will tell on Everette although I think he will be good.

My problem is the logic Bob is using in his arguement.

Why can't Armanti switch from QB to WR but Thomas Davis can switch from saftey to linebacker?

Also its just his tone. Sure call out Armanti for having small hands or Brown for being undersized but you don't need curse everyone on this board just cause you are angry.

In 2-3 years we can have this arguement.

I do not agree with this idea at all, but can understand why you do.

At 17 we would have been in position to select:

Dan Williams

Thomas

Bulaga

Bryant

McCourtey

etc...

There is a reason that he slipped last year.

Now, I don't mind eating crow at all, but the truth is, he was picked at the 17 slot, and I am not sure that he is worth it.

First of all each year is different. For example because Brown was picked in the second round last year has no bearing on whether he would be picked higher or lower this year. He didn't slip last year he was picked where he was based on the talent and team needs last year.

And again he was picked in the second round, we gave up a future first round pick because future picks are not worth as much as current picks. So to say he was picked up at 17th this year is hardly accurate. That is simply the draft position we surrendered this year to get him last year a year ahead of time. If we had done better last year it could have been worth as little as a 32 pick.

So the evaluation will be whether a player who was picked in the second round last year and played a season in the NFL is worth the 17th pick this year. I think it will be in the end given that we got him to help replace Peppers which is exactly what he will do this year at a fraction of the cost.

Of the guys you mentioned, which of them has taken a snap in the NFL? Yeah none of them. Who knows if they will succeed or not. At least Brown is a somewhat proven product having played a year in our defense.

I didn't think we needed to trade up to get Armanti either; I think we could have drafted him straight up but apparrently Hurney and crew thought he was a stud. And time will tell on Everette although I think he will be good.

My problem is the logic Bob is using in his arguement.

Why can't Armanti switch from QB to WR but Thomas Davis can switch from saftey to linebacker?

Also its just his tone. Sure call out Armanti for having small hands or Brown for being undersized but you don't need curse everyone on this board just cause you are angry.

In 2-3 years we can have this arguement.

I think they believed that he would be gone by the time they picked again. He was ranked the 7th best receiver in the draft but some boards had him at quarterback as the third or fourth best behind Clausen and Bradford, and MCCoy.

And he can make the switch from QB to WR just like he made the switch from WR to QB when he went from high school to the pros. It isn't like he has never played receiver as some believe.

As for Edwards, I really believe he will be a huge surprise this year and may be our next Steve Smith.

Don't be fooled by the "talent evaluation" by professional scout GmanBob. The same guy who is shitting on Everette Brown for eternity proclaimed that Lawrence Sidbury was a "steal" for the Falcons last year. The same Lawrence Sidbury who had all of 5 tackles and one sack in his rookie season and is at least second string for the Falcons going into this year.

First of all each year is different. For example because Brown was picked in the second round last year has no bearing on whether he would be picked higher or lower this year. He didn't slip last year he was picked where he was based on the talent and team needs last year.

And again he was picked in the second round, we gave up a future first round pick because future picks are not worth as much as current picks. So to say he was picked up at 17th this year is hardly accurate. That is simply the draft position we surrendered this year to get him last year a year ahead of time. If we had done better last year it could have been worth as little as a 32 pick.

So the evaluation will be whether a player who was picked in the second round last year and played a season in the NFL is worth the 17th pick this year. I think it will be in the end given that we got him to help replace Peppers which is exactly what he will do this year at a fraction of the cost.

Of the guys you mentioned, which of them has taken a snap in the NFL? Yeah none of them. Who knows if they will succeed or not. At least Brown is a somewhat proven product having played a year in our defense.

Trust me, I understand your logic, I just don't agree with it.

Listen, he is an undersized DE, if he turns out to be Freeney Jr. Great, but the odds are against him.

This years draft was known to be extremely deep, because of the pending lockout/unknown year. We traded away a pick, that we didn't need to trade to get a player that in the end didn't need to contribute last season at all.

You are asking me in this post who has taken a snap in the NFL, but then say that Edwards, who is making a position change could be our next SS...come on man.

I am not bashing Brown here, I am saying that trading future 1st round draft picks away to pick up 2nd round talent is no way to build a team.

Trust me, I understand your logic, I just don't agree with it.

Listen, he is an undersized DE, if he turns out to be Freeney Jr. Great, but the odds are against him.

This years draft was known to be extremely deep, because of the pending lockout/unknown year. We traded away a pick, that we didn't need to trade to get a player that in the end didn't need to contribute last season at all.

You are asking me in this post who has taken a snap in the NFL, but then say that Edwards, who is making a position change could be our next SS...come on man.

I am not bashing Brown here, I am saying that trading future 1st round draft picks away to pick up 2nd round talent is no way to build a team.

This isn't my logic, What I posted was what happened and the context for the draft choice. If you want to criticize the front office for doing it that is completely different and not related to my post.

If you remember the context of the pick we drafted before we decided what to do with Peppers last year. As such it was felt that we needed to upgrade DE right away. Given we had given up our first pick the year before for Otah, the best we were going to do was get back in the second rather than get someone in the first round. Brown was considered a mid first round talent and we decided to bite on it.

As for will it pay off? I will let you know in 2 or 3 years. Would I have done it? Hard to say since I don't know what other choices I had, what was going on with Peppers or a number of factors.

As for the Armanti comment, who knows what will happen. He hasn't taken a snap in the NFL either. My comment was simply to say that he is an exciting prospect who has looked good in OTAs and minicamp. Will that translate to training camp and the season, who knows. But Smith is getting old, Edwards seems to be a very athletic guy and they are both the same size and speed. Yeah I might be too optimistic. This is the time for it.

There are a number of great DEs who were undersized besides Freeney. Off the top of my head, Strahan, Umenyiora, Mathis and a number of guys come to mind.

This isn't my logic, What I posted was what happened and the context for the draft choice. If you want to criticize the front office for doing it that is completely different and not related to my post.

If you remember the context of the pick we drafted before we decided what to do with Peppers last year. As such it was felt that we needed to upgrade DE right away. Given we had given up our first pick the year before for Otah, the best were going to do was get back in the second rather than get someone in the first round. Brown was considered a mid first round talent and we decided to bit on it.

As for will it pay off? I will let you know in 2 or 3 years. Would I have done it? Hard to say since I don't know what other choices I had, what was going on with Peppers or a number of factors.

As for the Armanti comment, who knows what will happen. He hasn't taken a snap in the NFL either. My comment was simply to say that he is an exciting prospect who has looked good in OTAs and minicamp. Will that translate to training camp and the season, who knows. But Smith is getting old, Edwards seems to be a very athletic guy and they are both the same size and speed. Yeah I might be too optimistic. This is the time for it.

Like I said, don't like the move, but can't change it, so whatever.

Peppers was going to play for us last season, that much had already been decided, hence one of the reasons that I didn't like the pick at all.

I thought that Clausen was a top 10 player, he was not, he was a 2nd round player, the same as Brown.

There are a number of great DEs who were undersized besides Freeney. Off the top of my head, Strahan, Umenyiora, Mathis and a number of guys come to mind.

Other than Strahan, who is 6'5, you are correct.....they were all also picked up in the 2nd or later.

Once again, I am not bashing Brown, and I hope that he becomes great, but the odds are against him, and there is a reason that undersized DE's are not normally picked in the 1st.

Like I said, don't like the move, but can't change it, so whatever.

Peppers was going to play for us last season, that much had already been decided, hence one of the reasons that I didn't like the pick at all.

I thought that Clausen was a top 10 player, he was not, he was a 2nd round player, the same as Brown.

Actually it wasn't decided that Peppers would play for us. He didn't sign his tender until the last minute and didn't include us in any negotiations at all. We knew we wouldn't get 2 numbers 1 for him but must have felt we would get something. If he got a deal from someone else we would have traded him instead of letting him walk this year for free. We knew we would lose Peppers last year or this. His failure to take our offers told everyone that we wanted out. This way they get Brown and a year of experience. It may turn to be a great move. Time will tell.

Archived