• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shipping alcohol?

mr beauxjangles

So after years of not being distributed in the United States, I finally located a distributor in New Jersey that carries the best damn belnded scotch on the planet (Usquaebach Flagon 86). I immediately purchased five bottles and had them shipped to my place in Georgia. It's legal for authorized merchants to ship alcohol to most states (with the exception of about 10). Howevah, it is illegal to ship alcohol for private use with USPS, and UPS and FedEX both refuse to ship alcohol (I've tried). I was suppsoed to meet my father in Charlotte this weekend and was going to give him a bottle for Father's Day, but our plans fell through. I still want to get it to him soon but am unsure about the risks of shipping it personally.

I did my share of google searches and lots of people have suggested that you just lie about the contents and say it's a collectible or antique or some shiz. I don't want to lose this sucker (it is damn fine scotch, not that cheap, but not absurdly expensive) but I don't really know what UPS or FedEx could do if they find out. Refuse shipment after already accepting it?

So with all that said, here are my choices:

1. Ship it, lie about the contents, and take the risk.
  2. Wait two months until I can give it to him in person.
  3. Buy a new bottle (for $90) fand have it shipped to him from an authorized online merchant.

EDIT: forgot to check the "create poll" box...can I append a poll after the fact?

Sorry guys I forgot to type the most important part. I edited my original post. I bought the scotch online and had it delivered to me no problem. Authorized merchants can ship to most states no problem. The problem is that FedEx and UPS have both refused to ship alcohol for personal use if you aren't an authorized merchant.

Here is a couple things I found.

24Alcoholic beverages containing more than 70 percent alcohol by volume must be transported as materials in Packing Group II. Alcoholic beverages containing more than 24 percent but not more than 70 percent alcohol by volume must be transported as materials in Packing Group III.

Read more: http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/172-102-special-provisions-19941868#ixzz0ruGD1M79

149When transported as a limited quantity or a consumer commodity, the maximum net capacity specified in 173.150(B)(2) of this subchapter for inner packagings may be increased to 5 L (1.3 gallons).

Read more: http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/172-102-special-provisions-19941868#ixzz0ruGMvw1I

Sorry guys I forgot to type the most important part. I edited my original post. I bought the scotch online and had it delivered to me no problem. Authorized merchants can ship to most states no problem. The problem is that FedEx and UPS have both refused to ship alcohol for personal use if you aren't an authorized merchant.

Just covering their butts so they dont deliver to underage drinkers.

Archived