• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Office workstations in Charlotte

charlotte49er

So buddy....if you don't mind me asking how did you get in a wheel chair? How did you get injured?

I wish I could say that I was doing something spectacular, but I can't.

I was opening the Dell Store in Pineville Mall back in Nov of 2005. I reached under the cabinet where the laptops were kept. (They got locked up in a safe every night.) I reached for the first laptop, it was the XPS Gamer version. G-Force Gaphics card, etc. (Made to play Halo 3 etc at that time.)

I reached under the table, picked it up and ruptured 2 disks in my back. I went from walking to not walking in 36 hours and haven't walked since. The ruptured disks damaged the nerve bundles that run down your spinal chord. Even though I had surgery 36 hours after they ruptured, the damage was done. (That was the worst pain I have ever endured. It hurt so bad when they ruptured, it dropped me to my knees and sucked the breath out of me! I have had fingers broken, dislocated a knee and shoulder that didn't hurt that bad.)

So because I do a lot of work on my computer, it was determined that I need a computer desk (among other things) that I can get my wheelchair under. I do more than just post babe pics on the other forum. LOL

wow...thats pretty crazy! Did you have back issues before your accident? As a fellow back pain sufferer, the thought of a disk rupturing and causing damage like that scares the crap out of me!

Never had any back pain in my life other than a little stiffness. I have always had great upper body strength. I used to go to the gym and had a weight bench at home. I used to lift weights, mainly bench presses or arm curls. To switch things up, I would work my quads. Even then, I always wore a weight belt.

Now my quads don't work. (It's not the muscles, it's the neuron pathways from the brain to them.) It's been almost 5 years, and I really don't think about it. You can either sit around and bitch and complain or you can get on with your life. I decided early on, that I would get on with my life. I've got a cool van that I drive everywhere I want. I have a powered wheelchair for long distance, other wise I use my manual chair.

I go to Bobcats game. See the Charlotte Knights at least 4 times a year. I have yet to see the Panthers, but that's because you have to deal with Ticketmaster. They tell me 1 story and the next time I call them up, they tell me something different. But I know a guy who said that the next time the Colts come to play, he probably can get me down on the field. (His Dad is a big shot in TV!)

After surgery you go through a month of rehab. Part of it is you have to meet twice with a psychologist. (Once when you first get there and another time before you leave.) I told her I look at this as a Mulligan. (The golfers know what there is. You get a do-over on a tee shot.) That's what I told her this is. I get a do-over with my life. So, I can't sell real estate any longer and even working 40 hours a week would be tough, I'll go an do something else.

Archived