• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My great dane

sunbunny

All of a sudden, he's staggering all over the place. Very stiff in his back legs. I can't even get him back in the house. He got up, was walking like he was drunk, went out to use the bathroom, and now won't get up. I can't take him to the vet, because I have an appointment with cardiologist. I don't know what to do!!

Skew, if you see this, please tell me what your dane did when he first got sick. Henry's 6 or 7. I can't remember right now.

Sounds like what mine went through. He struggled to get on his legs for a while because his backbone started pinching his spinal cord and it slowly progressed until he couldn't get up on his own at all.

The owner of the Great Dane Rescue Center in Huntersville had one with the same problem. She paid for (a very expensive) operation to try to fix her dane. Afterwards, she had to drive him here to S. Charlotte every day for physical theropy in a swimming pool. She did that for a whole year and it still didn't work. She finally put him to sleep, just as I did with my boy.

Keep me posted on everything.

My thoughts are with you.

I can't skip my appointment with my cardiologist. I think I'm supposed to have a stress test today.

He's back in the house, and he's sleeping on my bed with Casey right now. He's walking, but he's still stiff in his legs. He's just getting over a severe ear infection, too. If we get back in time, I'm gonna have Chris and my mom take him to the vet.

Well, his back legs look stiff. I've noticed him waking funny a time or two before. I thought maybe he might be getting arthritis. He has a full size futon mattress and thick blanket to sleep on in the living room. And he sleeps in our bed when Chris gets up. Maybe he needs a better bed in the living room.

He's been shaking his head, too. Like what he did when he had the ear infection. And cocking it to the side. He was on antibiotics and prednisone. He just finished them up a few days ago. Maybe Chris can call our vet while he's waiting for me.

Well, his back legs look stiff. I've noticed him waking funny a time or two before. I thought maybe he might be getting arthritis. He has a full size futon mattress and thick blanket to sleep on in the living room. And he sleeps in our bed when Chris gets up. Maybe he needs a better bed in the living room.

He's been shaking his head, too. Like what he did when he had the ear infection. And cocking it to the side. He was on antibiotics and prednisone. He just finished them up a few days ago. Maybe Chris can call our vet while he's waiting for me.

Check your PM.

good luck Bunny...hope it all works out for Henry. The last part of your last thread makes it sound like he still has the ear infection...my shepherd gets them often and does exactly the same thing...lots of shaking and lots of cocking to one side.

Sorry to hear that bunny.

My great dane, Bull, has had a couple seizures in the past where he is very wobbly and drunk-acting. But this only lasts for about 15-20 minutes. It's scary as hell when it's happening. He's 6 years old. Not sure if this is anything like what Henry is going through.

Just got home, and he met me at the door doing his usual scooby doo thing. Went out back to the bathroom, and back in the house. Now he seems fine. I'll keep a check on him tonight and see what happens. I think it's his ears.

Archived