• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

if theres one song that doesnt prove that metal is complete shite, id love to hear it

Grammer

Sepultura sounded like poo until Chaos A.D. came out.

I'm sort of in the middle with this subject. I can't listen to most death/thrash metal, it just irritates me. Slayer was awesome...when I was 15. There are a few exceptions to this i.e. Opeth, Between The Buried and Me, but they are very progressive and incorporate clean passages and lots of musical influences from other genres.

My favorite band is, and always will be Pantera. I love everything about them, their groove, lyrics, Dimebag's sick guitar riffs, Vinnie Paul's mastery of the percussive arts. I could go on and on, but I wont, since this is going to fall on deaf ears anyway. Either you love metal or you don't. There is no in-between. If you do, awesome. If not, thats perfectly ok...just dont insult the millions of people who do.

Oh, and Tool is most definitely a progressive metal band.

Never ever ever ever again diss the "Arise" and "Beneath the Remains" era Sepultura... They were starting thrash metal at the same time Slayer and Metallica were, and were doing it in the slums of Brazil...

The two prior albums were so poorly produced it was laughable, but they still had a very heavy impact on today's metal... "Troops of Doom" will always be a classic...

Never ever ever ever again diss the "Arise" and "Beneath the Remains" era Sepultura... They were starting thrash metal at the same time Slayer and Metallica were, and were doing it in the slums of Brazil...

The two prior albums were so poorly produced it was laughable, but they still had a very heavy impact on today's metal... "Troops of Doom" will always be a classic...

If I was still into thrash metal I would love those albums, but after a while thrash metal gets predictable. I'll always listen to some of it (Megadeth and pre-black album Metallica mostly) but for the most part I'm not a fan anymore.

Oh, and am I alone in thinking that bands like Cradle of Filth are the scourge of the music universe?

If I was still into thrash metal I would love those albums, but after a while thrash metal gets predictable. I'll always listen to some of it (Megadeth and pre-black album Metallica mostly) but for the most part I'm not a fan anymore.

Oh, and am I alone in thinking that bands like Cradle of Filth are the scourge of the music universe?

CoF would be OKAY if it weren't for the overly dramatic image and the horrible vocalist... But yes, you are correct in that they basically suck as is...

Thrash does get predictable and boring, but that comes from its roots in punk/hardcore...

The breakdown changed metal... and Pantera had a big hand in that (after their glam band days)...

Oldschoolp.jpg

80's metal doesn't count if you're talking about bands that wore makeup and denim... That was hard rock/hair rock...

Metal has to use the "devil's fifth" or tritone at some point on the album, and none of the hair bands ever really did that...

Of course, Slayer, Sepultura, Metallica, and other true metal bands were around in the 80's, but I am betting you weren't talking about them...

I'll give you that SOME death metal is crap... but you won't find many more talented musicians than those you find in technical death metal bands, or in progressive metal bands...

Ability to play really fast does not make you a talented musician.

Ability to play really fast does not make you a talented musician.

Again, if all you hear is people playing really fast, then you aren't musically inclined...

Ability to play technical things really fast DOES make you a talented musician... Some of the guitar work found in metal rivals and surpasses the compostions of celebrated classical composers...

Also, the drum work, in most of the metal I listen to anyways, has deep roots in jazz's odd time signatures... This also takes a tremendous amount of musical skill...

Archived