• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fruit Salsa

LifeisaGarden

I had some fruit salsa the other week & it was delish but I can't remember everything that was in it. I need your help. This is what I remember was in it, tell me if you think it's the makings of a good fruit salsa, what you would add or take away.

Tomato

red onion

cantaloupe

pineapple

mango

red bell pepper

english cucumber

jalapeno

cilantro

Looks pretty good. I would make sure to get the proportions right to balance out the onion and jalapeno. If you feel like the red onion is too strong use shallots. Use fresh pineapple, it's more work but not really anymore expenisve.

Was there a dressing with it? Any vinegrette would work.

Sounds pretty decent. I've had a variety of fruit salsas -- mango, peach, pineapple -- but I don't think I've had one with as many different ingredients as the one you describe.

Some of those are subtler flavors, like the cucumber and cantaloupe, so I imagine it'd be fine.

But man, just a regular pineapple salsa over some mahi-mahi? Awesome.

I just thought I'd toss it with some olive oil & lime or lemon juice.

& jalapeno is always an iffy thing cause some like it hotter than others. If I were just making it for my self & Dan I'd use habenero because I like the sweet heat bloom feeling in my mouth. :D

I'm serving it with tostito scoops for the traditional folks & homemade sourdough crustini brushed with olive oil & lightly salted with sea salt

As you mentioned in your reply, the lime juice is critical in my opinion.

If you're looking for something different next time, try a strawberry salsa instead of mango. I go for big and chunky when I make mango salsa but go for a more pureed salsa when I use strawberries.

I also add chunks of avocado when I do mango salsa.

I've never tried cantaloupe in a salsa though - interesting idea. Might have to try that soon. Trying to figure out a good pairing though...maybe scallops or shrimp with a cantaloupe relish.

Archived